Al Franken is resigning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2017, 06:53 PM
RE: Al Franken is resigning
(07-12-2017 02:31 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  ...
Al Franken had photographic evidence grabbing a woman's breasts while she slept. He has multiple accusers that say he tried to forcefully kiss them, and multiple woman have said that during photo opportunities he grabs their ass, including one woman who was active duty military at the time.

From what I read, all of that relates to incidents with one woman.

The problem here is... genetic programming. It's not just older men who like boobs.

The question is whether memes - societal inhibitors (social contract, rules and norms) - can constrain the older drive (genes) of sexual selection.

Looks like that's finally happening, at least in enlightened parts of the US.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
07-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Robert Reich says it best on Facebook:

Al Franken resigns his Senate post, while Trump and Republicans double down on their support for Roy Moore for the Senate. I’m glad Democrats are taking principled stands against sexual harassment but sickened by Trump’s and Republican’s unwillingness to do the same. Tyranny beckons when the principled fall on their swords while the unprincipled keep theirs.
All of us must use the GOP’s cynical refusal to acknowledge Moore’s and Trump’s histories of sexual abuse as further evidence of the moral bankruptcy of the Republican Party. I don't see how evangelical Christians and cultural conservatives can justify their continued support.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 4 users Like Yonadav Kenyon's post
07-12-2017, 07:02 PM
(07-12-2017 12:04 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Sad to see him go. Especially knowing that Republicans will not miss a beat electing a more cringe-worthy offender. Is this yet another case of Democrats bringing knives to gun fights?

Probably. Taking the high road is pointless if the bridge has been destroyed by vagabonds and they keep sabotaging all attempts at rebuilding the damn thing.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
07-12-2017, 07:03 PM
(07-12-2017 05:40 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Trump never admitted to sexual assault. Listen to the words he spoke. "They let you do it." Let = permission. It's Donald Trump. Any woman hanging out with Donald Trump in his younger days is probably hoping he grabs her. He was a player. A rich playboy. Those women weren't complaining. They let him do it. They wanted it.

Yes, fool. He did admit to sexual assault. "You just grab them by the pussy" IS assault. He had no "permission". "You just start kissing them" is why Franken resigned.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/us/don...cript.html

I always knew you were a fraud. You were never a cop.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-12-2017, 07:11 PM
(07-12-2017 12:04 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Also ANY Republican politician calling for Franken to resign over these allegations, who has not also called for the president to do the same over HIS allegations (which are significantly more repugnant) is a hypocrite who should be completed ashamed.

BAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Republicans ashamed of hypocrisy! That's a good one!

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
07-12-2017, 09:33 PM
It is sad seeing just how common sexual harassment is. The place I've worked at for the past ten years is great - there aren't a ton of men there (it's mostly women other than management positions or IT, etc.) but they've all been respectful toward me. Now, I have worked at a place in the past where there were a lot of young guys and they were total assholes. A couple of really good decent guys there but there were a few who felt I was unqualified to work there 'cause my boobs weren't big enough, apparently. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
07-12-2017, 09:34 PM
And here I was thinking for a minute that I didn't really have a #MeToo moment, but I suppose I do.

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
07-12-2017, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 09:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-12-2017 07:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I always knew you were a fraud. You were never a cop.

He was an admitted dirty cop too stupid to advise his 18 yo daughter in Washington State that she qualified for Obamacare and she ends up with a $5K bill from the ER. Meanwhile, Washington State provides free health care to illegal immigrants for fuck's sake. Fucking moron. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-12-2017, 10:14 PM
(07-12-2017 02:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think not. There is a Democratic governor in that state, and he'll likely appoint a Democratic woman as interim, until an election. That part is OK. Maybe he can "do penance" and come back later, in some capacity ... he's not that old. It's probably too early in the "Me Too" big picture to think about "differences", but there is a difference in what he did, and what Moore did.

Sure, it's possible I'm wrong about his replacement. We'll see. And yes, I agree there are differences between what Franken and Moore each did, but those matter little in terms of whether either should hold pubic office. Wrong is wrong even if there are different degrees. Forcibly kissing women is still assault. The picture only tells so much and that might be worse than we know. I don't want to see him back again.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
07-12-2017, 10:17 PM
If only democrats stopped telling people that sexual harassment/assault were good, none of this would have ever happened. /s
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post