Alabama Gov says "Non-Christians are not my brothers and sisters"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Alabama Gov says "Non-Christians are not my brothers and sisters"
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/01/gov-...inten.html

Wow, gov. How too piss off a lot of people.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2011, 04:21 PM
RE: Alabama Gov says "Non-Christians are not my brothers and sisters"
Just one more reason not to move to Alabama.

It amazes me how people can discriminate in the same breath in which they are vowing "not to discriminate." I've never understood the logic either (not that there is any) that states "yes all things came from God, but you're only God's child if you're saved." I mean, are my children only my children if they ask to be?

Quote:Asked later if he meant to be insulting to people of other faiths, Bentley replied, ''We're not trying to insult anybody."
No, he's not insulting anyone, he's just telling them how much better Christians are over all other people.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2011, 04:37 PM
This is just another example of Christian ignorance and intolerance. Not that I really care what the governor of alabama thinks. Most likely he's beyond help.
18-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Cant you just feeeeel that Christ like attitude?
Bentley replied, ''We're not trying to insult anybody."

Nice dodge. In other words, we're not trying to insult just anybody!
Rather, we are assured we've only insulted atheists (and non-Christians), because they are not people of faith!Rolleyes

Not to worry Governor.
Atheists, unlike many of those constituents in "bama" are proud to accept they are not your brothers and sisters, given many of your constituents claim such siblings because their mother and sister are one and the same person.

[Image: jesusb.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Isn't Alabama one of the states where many family trees have no branches?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
19-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I wonder though, if he had said simply, speaking to the congregation, "hello, my brothers and sisters in Christ," would we even have heard about it? And isn't that actually saying pretty much the same thing? He said he wants others to be his brothers and sisters in Christ. Isn't that what all Christians are supposed to want? I know I hope he comes to his senses and rejects superstition. That doesn't mean I am bigoted against the religious.
19-01-2011, 01:28 PM

RE: Cant you just feeeeel that Christ like attitude?
(18-01-2011 05:29 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  
Bentley replied, ''We're not trying to insult anybody."

It just second nature for us Smile
19-01-2011, 01:37 PM

I lived down there for Two years.. "War Eagle!" LOL.. But, it is backwards logic and this story isn't surprising.

This is 1996, as we go back in my time machine.. For the record I grew up on the SouthSide of Chicago.

I am at my apt complex, we (group of about 6-8) are walking to the other side of the complex, the N word is flowing like no tomorrow. I happen to see a group of black kids near the pool area, I make a comment.. "Hey you might want to watch your wording", while nodding in the direction.

I kid you not, these were the next words out of one of the guys mouth.. " Ahh no worries, they are use to it, nothing to fear"

Back home, a white kid states the N word, I might get shot..

I was shocked, and just dumbfounded I thought those times were over...
19-01-2011, 05:55 PM

(19-01-2011 01:37 PM)AnthraxFan93 Wrote:  I was shocked, and just dumbfounded I thought those times were over...

Far from it. And the racist door swings both ways, which is a shock for a lot of folks as well.
There is a black college here who's home page features black students in front of the schools main campus sign. It's to let people know ahead of time, that it is indeed a black college. Unfortunately for them it seems, whites that seek a higher education there for whatever reason, as in Paralegal Studies are afforded there and a Christian college up the road in the heart of old colonial down town, however the tuition is vastly different between the two, the white student is let to know in no uncertain terms that they are the minority on campus.
A friend's daughter graduated top of her class and Suma kum laude. She was white. Daughter decided not to tell her mom of the honor but rather to let her be surprised at the graduation ceremony.
Sure enough, they both were. Her honor was never mentioned. And so as to deter charges of blatant racism, because she was not only white and graduating with such an honor, but she was the only white student in that years graduation class, no other students in line for honors after her were mentioned either.
The only way her mother found out about her daughters honor during the ceremony, was she read of it in the program booklet she'd received at the gate. Undecided

I've had occasion to go to that colleges library, because they have books in their stacks not available elsewhere. I'm dismissed and ignored. When I ask for help the level of detached interest and yet open hostility in just the energy, the looks, the manner of speech, is unmistakable. And once, I ventured to the bathroom to wash my hands and was shocked to discover in a higher education center where people should have graduated from childish behavior, that instead graffiti racist slurs about white women were written in marker, blue or black ink and even pencil, on the walls of the bathroom and in the stalls. (I checked the stalls, after the shall we say collage that I found on the walls and the back of the door, so that when a person left the facilities they could have a read or leave their closing remarks to top all that racism off.)

A buddy I know lives in Georgia. I'd heard about this sign near the Macon town limits years before we met and thought it was either an urban legend, or something long gone after the civil rights era was born. Not by a long shot. Pun intended. I was surprised to learn from him that it is still there. The original sign, that's repainted when needed just to make sure the message is perfectly clear to the literate unwanted. Who, if not able to read, shall certainly get the message if they're able to feel.

"Nigger don't let the sun go down on your black ass here!" A message sent home by countless gunshots, including shotgun pellet holes, that penetrate the sign in it's entirety. Save for the message area so that there's no mistake about the true meaning in the words.

If you want a really shocking wake up call as to how racism is not exclusively a white thing, Google keyword search Black racists rap lyrics. Confused

Racism (hate causes in general) exists across all cultures. For every human born, there's found some reason to hate them for living in their own skin.
20-01-2011, 09:49 AM

GK, I agree it goes both ways. Sadly IMO, that is a animal instinct we have not yet gotten past. Much like a dog seeing a new person on your property, its fear of the unknown.. and having the masses be, even at that level uneducated on this.

Sadly that isn't the place for change in this environment, it starts first at the home, then having schools reinforce this idea. But, that's a whole another discussion about it.

And, I was just shocked that coming from Chicago, where for the most part is less segregated(though that can be questioned too), to going to the south, where the stereotypes of it were fairly true on somethings.

In another story of my time down there, was going to a friends house for the weekend.. Parents are ultra religious he tells me, so if I could not swear. I had a good chuckle and went, parents love me, because I know what language to use when. Not to worry.. ( At this point of my life, I didn't tell people I was Atheist, or Agnostic.. as I didn't know)

We get there, eat.. Him and I go out with his friends.. Get back to his parents house.. Game 5 I believe of the World Series is on, Atlanta Braves vs New York Yankees.. in Atlanta.

I glance at the TV, see Andrew Jones is up to bat, for the Braves.

I go to his dad " What's the Score?"

Dad: 1-0 Yankees
Me: Damn, Pettite pitched a great game
DAD's eyes move off the TV, I get a stare of death as if I just told him I raped his 11 year old daughter
Dad: Northerners, you have no respect.. ( At this point Andrew Jones Strikes out, without hesitating).. Overpaid N***** can't hit the ball..

I just went, where in the hell am I. Because It was Friday night, and we had 2 days to go.. I sad I was sorry for swearing to his Dad..

Overall, Kitty.. I agree its on both sides of the streets.. without a clear view of it getting better. Def Comedy Jam in the 90's is another example or any Black Comedian who does a "White" guy is another version of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christians and Global Warming Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 30 1,703 06-02-2013 05:32 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  Arguing with political/religions christians that slob on Israels knob. I and I 2 292 20-11-2012 01:19 PM
Last Post: I and I
  My story for The Onion News. Koch Brothers buying up Counties. Denicio 8 818 08-11-2012 05:07 PM
Last Post: TheBlackKnight
  You Thought the Koch Brothers Were Bad? Turns Out They're Even Worse Than You Thought GassyKitten 3 933 22-04-2011 02:58 AM
Last Post: hotrodmike