Alabama bans "Foreign Law"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Alabama bans "Foreign Law"
Amendment banning 'foreign law' in Alabama courts passes; will be added to Alabama Constitution

Obviously targeted at Sharia Law, but wait, as one the commenters is quick to point out...

Quote:Sharia law is now forbidden from application against individuals in court because it is foreign law from the Koran which was written in the middle east. Guess what -- the Christian Bible was ALSO written in the middle east. It is EXACTLY as foreign as the Koran. The Bible and the Koran are both foreign texts. Amendment One now prohibits BOTH of them from being cited in court. Happy?

It seems like Alabama has been in the news a lot lately and not necessarily for good reasons. Consider

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
10-11-2014, 10:08 PM
RE: Alabama bans "Foreign Law"
I hope it bites them in the ass.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
10-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Hobo
[+] 4 users Like Ferdinand's post
10-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm expecting that some Alabamians are gonna say federal laws are "foreign" to Alabama as well.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 6 users Like ClydeLee's post
10-11-2014, 10:16 PM
(10-11-2014 10:13 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm expecting that some Alabamians are gonna say federal laws are "foreign" to Alabama as well.

Good point. I didn't think of that.

"The south will rise again" or some such nonsense right?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
10-11-2014, 10:17 PM
(10-11-2014 10:11 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Hobo

Yep.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
10-11-2014, 11:08 PM
This reminds me of a Lewis Black bit. Something about people in Alabama being worried about getting anthrax in the mail right after the post 9-11 attacks. His response was "What, are you going to get it in a K-Mart catalog asshole? The Taliban isn't interested in killing you! Look where you live, you're already dead!"

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
10-11-2014, 11:17 PM
(10-11-2014 10:13 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm expecting that some Alabamians are gonna say federal laws are "foreign" to Alabama as well.

You nailed it!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
10-11-2014, 11:23 PM

Well, all that stuff comes from them damn Yankees up yonder in the state of Warshington D. C.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
10-11-2014, 11:45 PM
At first glance, I was thinking, "hmmm.... That's not such a bad thing." We have a problem with conservatives trying to apply biblical law, which would also be outlawed as an unintended consequence seeing how sharia law is the obvious target. We brought you the 10 Commandments judge for Christ's sake!! You see young girls being stripped of their rights to education and employment in favor of patriarchal families, such as common with the growing quiverfull movement, and it's really disheartening. It's kinda like seeing the pic of Osama bin Laden and his family in the 1970s and comparing it to the extremism of the present Middle East - except the fanaticism here is in the form of bad perms, frumpy jean dresses, and popping out as many babies as is physically possible.

What I MISSED from the al.com article was the intention to nullify Supreme Court rulings - particularly those involving anti-death penalty legislation, gay rights, etc - that derived their rulings from foreign law. Talk about dishonest.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post