Alabamians Easily Baffled?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Alabamians Easily Baffled?
I generally get a little annoyed by those who would disparage those of us living in the southern US for our lack of intelligence. It is a nasty stereotype that often creates a self-fulfilling prophecy as generations embrace with pride their rural roots and disdain for readin', writin' and other highfalutin effects of edu-ma-cation.

Fortunately, in the comments, there are at least a few intelligent southerners brave enough to mention science as a method of explaining what the author describes as "a strange phenomenon in Sylacauga, Alabama that has everyone baffled".

Strange Phenomenon in an Alabama Town is Too Weird for Words

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2016, 01:31 PM
RE: Alabamians Easily Baffled?
I couldn't see the comments, but I have a few hills like that in the trails that I used to bike through around my house. It looks like you should be going slightly uphill, but you would roll without resistance on a bike. I never gave it much thought, but figured it's probably a hill within a hill type of thing (where from the point of view of the person on the hill, it appears to be going uphill, but if you could see the bigger hill you were on, you would still be going downhill).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-01-2016, 01:31 PM
There are famous optical illusion locations like this all over the US. What does this have to do with the intelligence of Alabamians?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
30-01-2016, 04:14 PM
(29-01-2016 01:31 PM)cactus Wrote:  There are famous optical illusion locations like this all over the US. What does this have to do with the intelligence of Alabamians?

The story reads as though all the locals are baffled and have no idea what is making their cars roll up hill. I'm probably just being hypersensitive.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
30-01-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure all the intelligent comments in that article are from people north of the Mason Dixon line. Angel

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-01-2016, 04:41 PM
(30-01-2016 04:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  I'm pretty sure all the intelligent comments in that article are from people north of the Mason Dixon line. Angel

Dodgy
One of the comments is mine so...

[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
30-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Must ..... resist .... easy .... set up ..... line ......

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
30-01-2016, 05:04 PM
(29-01-2016 01:15 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I generally get a little annoyed by those who would disparage those of us living in the southern US for our lack of intelligence. It is a nasty stereotype that often creates a self-fulfilling prophecy as generations embrace with pride their rural roots and disdain for readin', writin' and other highfalutin effects of edu-ma-cation.

Fortunately, in the comments, there are at least a few intelligent southerners brave enough to mention science as a method of explaining what the author describes as "a strange phenomenon in Sylacauga, Alabama that has everyone baffled".

Is there any state in the USA that doesn't have aspot like that? I remember them "Out west." Mountains are the best place for these things. Here in the Dominican Republic I can take you to a spot where you swear you are headed down hill, but have to gear down in your car to go forward. I have always that someone knew what was behind it although have heard the ghost stories connected with such things also.
30-01-2016, 06:10 PM
(29-01-2016 01:15 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I generally get a little annoyed by those who would disparage those of us living in the southern US for our lack of intelligence. It is a nasty stereotype that often creates a self-fulfilling prophecy as generations embrace with pride their rural roots and disdain for readin', writin' and other highfalutin effects of edu-ma-cation.

Shouldn't they call it "Anti-Gravity Hill Rd?" Consider

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson