Albert Einstein the Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2016, 06:18 PM
RE: Albert Einstein the Agnostic
(24-01-2016 05:30 PM)MattB Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 04:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is another, more specific, late letter that says anyone who think he believed in a personal god is mistaken.
Einstein (1954) :
… "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated.
I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.
If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

Wonder what he meant by personal god?

Probably the obvious meaning - cares about you, listens to prayers, and all that jazz.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2016, 06:45 PM
(24-01-2016 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 05:30 PM)MattB Wrote:  Wonder what he meant by personal god?

Probably the obvious meaning - cares about you, listens to prayers, and all that jazz.

Never seen one.
Find all posts by this user
24-01-2016, 07:33 PM
(24-01-2016 05:30 PM)MattB Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 04:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is another, more specific, late letter that says anyone who think he believed in a personal god is mistaken.
Einstein (1954) :
… "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated.
I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.
If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

Wonder what he meant by personal god?

Since he was familiar with Judeo-Christian meanings , and he didn't seem to need to define it further, it probably was somewhat similar to theirs.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-01-2016, 08:07 PM
(24-01-2016 06:45 PM)MattB Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Probably the obvious meaning - cares about you, listens to prayers, and all that jazz.

Never seen one.
Go climb Mt Olympus and you'll find some.

Are we ever going to be at an age when the varying side beliefs or subsets of thoughts a historical scientific figure had won't really be deemed as having a point to questioned for some alleged value?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-01-2016, 11:42 PM
(24-01-2016 08:07 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 06:45 PM)MattB Wrote:  Never seen one.
Go climb Mt Olympus and you'll find some.

Are we ever going to be at an age when the varying side beliefs or subsets of thoughts a historical scientific figure had won't really be deemed as having a point to questioned for some alleged value?

They still talk about a fictional character of 2000 years ago. :-)). More fact to Einstein.
[+] 1 user Likes MattB's post