Alcohol, ain't it grand?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2012, 04:30 PM
RE: Alcohol, ain't it grand?
Any wine recommendations?

"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Open and preferably in a glass.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
23-09-2012, 04:56 PM
(23-09-2012 04:05 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(23-09-2012 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think alcohol is grand; I had a long affair with it, but it kicked my sorry ass. Weeping

Haven't had a drink for more than 20 years. Sadcryface2

I saw a billboard: "Drink Canada Dry!"

I tried.

Naw, you kicked its sorry ass to the curb! Good for you! Down with abusive relationships. Thumbsup

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Alcohol, ain't it grand?
(23-09-2012 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think alcohol is grand; I had a long affair with it, but it kicked my sorry ass. Weeping

I tried.

Me too. I don't drink anymore.

I also don't drink any less.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I miss drinking a nice glass of wine every other night but unfortunately I can't anymore as my pancreas threatened to leave me if I continued...Weeping

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
23-09-2012, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 07:57 PM by GirlyMan.)

I tried.

Help a brother out here. The upside is I say fuck the hangovers (but the supplemental testosterone seems to attenuate them, which of course just leads to greater consumption), the downside is I give up my personal party time. And I really like my personal party time.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
23-09-2012, 07:59 PM
(23-09-2012 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I tried.

Help a brother out here. The upside is I say fuck the hangovers (but the supplemental testosterone seems to attenuate them, which of course just leads to more consumption), the downside is I give up my personal party time. And I really like my personal party time.

When the party time isn't so fun and really interferes with the not-party time, then the tipping point has been reached or exceeded.

I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. The cure had become the disease.

On the plus side, there are other ways to party.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2012, 08:02 PM
(23-09-2012 07:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-09-2012 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Help a brother out here. The upside is I say fuck the hangovers (but the supplemental testosterone seems to attenuate them, which of course just leads to more consumption), the downside is I give up my personal party time. And I really like my personal party time.

When the party time isn't so fun and really interferes with the not-party time, then the tipping point has been reached or exceeded.

I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. The cure had become the disease.

On the plus side, there are other ways to party.

Thanks, brother. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-09-2012, 01:43 AM
From my 21st birthday to my 22nd, I binged pretty much every night. It was in the aftermath of a breakup with someone to whom I gave the entirety of my heart, and considering that she flew back to Cali. to live with her mom, I knew I couldn't do the uh..."unsavory" things that I wanted to do to her; so I decided to take out my rage on my OWN body instead. So I got toasted every night hoping that I'd get alcohol poisoning and die. Unfortunately, I was new to drinking (I refused to touch the stuff before then), so I always passed out before I got anywhere near ODing (lol).

After that, I sobered up, but even a few months later, I couldn't have a single sip of alcohol without my stomach protesting. Which pissed me off, because I actually wanted to drink simply for enjoyment at that point.

That's since subsided, but I'm still not a big drinker. I'm an avid weight-lifter (former personal trainer) and I don't put anything into my body without thinking of my muscles first. So, I keep the alcohol at a minimum. Research is suggesting that 2 beers a night is a good way to get certain nutrients without risking TOO much alcohol-damage, but I still keep at a minimum. Sometimes on a Friday and maybe special occasions. I prefer the clarity of sobriety, though. It feels good.

But even so, yes, alcohol is quite delightful Big Grin

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!