Alcohol weed replacement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2018, 04:04 AM
Alcohol weed replacement
Folks,

A friend of mine is cutting down on alcohol by occasionally smoking some weed on dry days. He says that, although the high is different, it is still a high, which is what he likes.

This set me thinking. Is a ‘high’ substance dependent?

I like a drink, but not too much. When in hospital for an operation they pumped me full of all kinds of opiate derivatives and I didn’t think about booze at all! The effect of all that morphine and stuff stayed with me for a couple of weeks and I still think about it sometimes. It was the highest I have ever been, apart form speeding on motorcycles.

So, the question is quite broad, but substantively I am asking whether a person wants only the substance of choice or whether we can get high on mind altering substances/experiences no matter what the specifics are. In other words, a high is a high?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
16-01-2018, 06:13 AM
RE: Alcohol weed replacement
Addiction? That is very specific to a substance.

Enjoyment? That can be gotten from a variety of drugs/actions.

Also, how well you like a specific high depends on your specific natural chemical balance.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-01-2018, 03:53 PM
(16-01-2018 06:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Addiction? That is very specific to a substance.

Also, how well you like a specific high depends on your specific natural chemical balance.

Dom,

Could a person be addicted to enjoyment?

D.
16-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Usually an addiction is substance specific. But I that he wants a high sometimes. And you can get a high from different things. So I understand that he wants to try around. And quite honestly I think, if he is doing fine on weed, it is definitely a better choice than alcohol if he does it occasionally.
Everything that you use too much is bad of course.

2+2=4
16-01-2018, 04:35 PM
(16-01-2018 03:53 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 06:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  Addiction? That is very specific to a substance.

Dom,

Could a person be addicted to enjoyment?

D.

Quote:Addiction is a medical condition that is characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences. It can be thought of as a disease or biological process leading to such behaviors.

Highlight "compulsive" and "despite adverse consequences".

Everyone I have ever seen who was addicted had one specific thing they were addicted to. People can get addicted to all kinds of things - drugs, jogging, carbs, sugar, you name it - it is an addiction if the person feels compelled to do it all the time despite suffering adverse effects.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-01-2018, 03:55 AM
(16-01-2018 04:28 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Usually an addiction is substance specific. But I that he wants a high sometimes. And you can get a high from different things. So I understand that he wants to try around. And quite honestly I think, if he is doing fine on weed, it is definitely a better choice than alcohol if he does it occasionally.
Everything that you use too much is bad of course.

Leerob,

Yes, I think we can get a high from different things. I get it from substances (moderately used) but strongly from fast motorcycles. Wheelying at speed I have shouted out involuntarily inside my helmet. Drooling

Others get it from religion, aka the old Cheech and Chong line about the Jesus Freak: "She was all f***** up on drugs but now she's all f***** up on the Lord!"

D.

PS - I agree with you that weed is better than alcohol for a number of reasons, although it can sneak up on you over time.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
17-01-2018, 04:04 AM
(16-01-2018 04:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  Everyone I have ever seen who was addicted had one specific thing they were addicted to. People can get addicted to all kinds of things - drugs, jogging, carbs, sugar, you name it - it is an addiction if the person feels compelled to do it all the time despite suffering adverse effects.

Dom,

I don't think I have an addictive personality because I enjoy loads of things, except jogging of course (Oh, and recycling). I mostly like risky stuff that engenders disapproval from boring people *. Thumbsup

D.

*PS - Present company excepted. Bowing
17-01-2018, 06:16 AM
I have been thinking about this recently. I have changed to an otherwise vegan diet except I also eat fish. I have also started vaping weed.

I've come to the conclusion that your brain learns what substances or food achieve what effect or to fill a deficiency. If you need something then you get cravings based on previous experience. Your diet therefore is largely based on habit. So I used to crave cheese or chocolate if I needed an immediate boost of energy for example. I no longer crave that,

When I first vaped and got high I found myself wanting to drink alcohol to increase the effect. I normally drank to alleviate stress but now my brain has learnt that weed is just as good for this, if not better. I certainly find it doesn't have the same nasty after effects that alcohol has.

But I can also go for weeks without really feeling the need for weed (sounds like a stoner's top gun). I generally listen to my body and respond appropriately.
17-01-2018, 07:00 AM
(17-01-2018 04:04 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(16-01-2018 04:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  Everyone I have ever seen who was addicted had one specific thing they were addicted to. People can get addicted to all kinds of things - drugs, jogging, carbs, sugar, you name it - it is an addiction if the person feels compelled to do it all the time despite suffering adverse effects.

Dom,

I don't think I have an addictive personality because I enjoy loads of things, except jogging of course (Oh, and recycling). I mostly like risky stuff that engenders disapproval from boring people *. Thumbsup

D.

*PS - Present company excepted. Bowing

Adrenalin. You love adrenalin.

17-01-2018, 03:45 PM
(17-01-2018 06:16 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I have been thinking about this recently. I have changed to an otherwise vegan diet except I also eat fish. I have also started vaping weed.

I've come to the conclusion that your brain learns what substances or food achieve what effect or to fill a deficiency. If you need something then you get cravings based on previous experience. Your diet therefore is largely based on habit. So I used to crave cheese or chocolate if I needed an immediate boost of energy for example. I no longer crave that,

When I first vaped and got high I found myself wanting to drink alcohol to increase the effect. I normally drank to alleviate stress but now my brain has learnt that weed is just as good for this, if not better. I certainly find it doesn't have the same nasty after effects that alcohol has.

But I can also go for weeks without really feeling the need for weed (sounds like a stoner's top gun). I generally listen to my body and respond appropriately.

Mathilda,

My friend says exactly the same about alcohol and weed. No hangovers is a big plus. Your vaping idea sounds good; I don't know anyone doing that (except you).

Respect for the vegan diet, I could never manage it. Sadcryface

D.