Ale vs Lager

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Ale vs Lager
I just don't know the difference.
Any help here would be appreciated.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2012, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2012 03:21 PM by germanyt.)
RE: Ale vs Lager
(31-01-2012 02:51 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I just don't know the difference.
Any help here would be appreciated.

Ale and lager are fermented with different types of yeast. Some are characterized by whether they are drawn from the top of the tank or the bottom. The yeast will ferment of the top of the tank when making ale and the bottom when making lager. Both range heavily in flavor, color, and alcohol content. Most people think that dark beers are ales and light are lagers. But IPA is an ale and looks like Bud in a glass. Guiness is a lager and looks like a porter. There really isn't a better quality type. Take Budwieser for example. Many people (especially outside the US) believe it to be a sub par, low quality beer. They couldn't be further from the truth. Budwieser is a world class lager and is kept under very, very strick control during brewing. And it isn't a cheap beer to make. It all just depends on what you like and if you are having it with a meal, what is being served. I like most beer I try.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
31-01-2012, 03:27 PM
(31-01-2012 03:17 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Ale and lager are fermented with different types of yeast. Some are characterized by whether they are drawn from the top of the tank or the bottom. The yeast will ferment of the top of the tank when making ale and the bottom when making lager. Both range heavily in flavor, color, and alcohol content. Most people think that dark beers are ales and light are lagers. But IPA is an ale and looks like Bud in a glass. Guiness is a lager and looks like a porter.

Thank you.
So I take it that one brew vessel, or tank, can make both.
One can have ale brewing at the top and lager near the bottom.
Two spigots on one batch to make the two different brews?

So can I assume that they toss in the various types of yeast all in one tank where they do their thing based on where they are happiest in the vessel?

31-01-2012, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2012 03:39 PM by germanyt.)
(31-01-2012 03:27 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(31-01-2012 03:17 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Ale and lager are fermented with different types of yeast. Some are characterized by whether they are drawn from the top of the tank or the bottom. The yeast will ferment of the top of the tank when making ale and the bottom when making lager. Both range heavily in flavor, color, and alcohol content. Most people think that dark beers are ales and light are lagers. But IPA is an ale and looks like Bud in a glass. Guiness is a lager and looks like a porter.

Thank you.
So I take it that one brew vessel, or tank, can make both.
One can have ale brewing at the top and lager near the bottom.
Two spigots on one batch to make the two different brews?

So can I assume that they toss in the various types of yeast all in one tank where they do their thing based on where they are happiest in the vessel?

I don't think you can pull both by using both yeasts. It just happens that the yeasts used to produce ale rise to the top and the ones for lager sink to the bottom.

Here is a wiki article on brewing but I didn't really read it. Just saw a cool graphic of the brewing process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing

And one on beer. I'm reading it now myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

And this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_style

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
31-01-2012, 09:45 PM
(31-01-2012 03:33 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Here is a wiki article on brewing but I didn't really read it. Just saw a cool graphic of the brewing process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing

And one on beer. I'm reading it now myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

And this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_style

There's a lot to it. A LOT more than meets the eye.
Makes me appreciate a good brew even more now.
Lagers and Stouts for me with an occasional Ale. Tongue

01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I'll take a nice tall pale or red ale, please.
Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm a fan of all beer really. But I suppose I prefer a Hef or brown ale.

-Mark Twain
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Mmmm beer. I'm a Guinness fan myself, but I'm open to trying any beer/ale/lager at least once and I find that I like a lot of them also. A friend suggested I try Golden Mokey (an ale) at World of Beer, and I found that I really like it.
02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I swing. Shy
Lager most of the time -Harp-, but in the winter I get cuddly and want a porter or, at least a darker ale, something with more body.
As I said I do lager most of the time... but there is also something to be said of a pilsner beer -a light wheat beer- I like the refreshment it provides after I mow the lawn. A pilsner is generally my lawn mowing beer.

IPA - three words- I detest it. Overly hoppy for my taste -some like it, some don't -I am the latter.

Made beer with a friend in his basement a few times. Best experience and THE BEST BEER I've ever had. Completely refreshing in every aspect.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Four cans of Boddingtons draught with my sunday dinner closely accompanied by my favourite smoke Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post