Alexis Carell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Alexis Carell
In the biography of this novel prize it is mentioned that he experimented a change of mind in Lourdes after he had seen a miraculous healing of a woman. After that, he critized the scientific community for not study this extraordinary cases. He did not found any explication. Do you think miracles are not usually studied by scientific community?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 08:49 AM
RE: Alexis Carell
Science is studying miracles all the time.

Scientists leave a trail of non-miracles in their wake.

[Image: 145bf00d70d0796fcb20e41b0ef13f55_large.gif?1358390043]

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
(18-06-2014 08:43 AM)sophonian Wrote:  In the biography of this novel prize it is mentioned that he experimented a change of mind in Lourdes after he had seen a miraculous healing of a woman. After that, he critized the scientific community for not study this extraordinary cases. He did not found any explication. Do you think miracles are not usually studied by scientific community?

There are plenty of scientists who will discuss them if asked and not busy, and some scientists and science-minded people do engaging in thorough analysis of such events to debunk them.

But I'm willing to bet that the majority of scientists aren't very much inclined in studying things which can't be accurately replicated nor even demonstrated under scrutiny. Especially when such things tend to ignore the laws of physics.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
A miracle is an event that cannot be attributed to the laws of nature. Since science is only interested in the laws of nature, there is no reason for them to study alleged "miracles" unless they do it simply to determine the laws of nature that caused an event that looks like a miracle.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
18-06-2014, 09:03 AM
That makes sense.

The miracle who he said to experiment was a healing of tuberculous peritonitis. I know that mental diseases can be healed by sugestion in religious groups, but what about organic diseases?
18-06-2014, 09:11 AM
(18-06-2014 09:03 AM)sophonian Wrote:  That makes sense.

The miracle who he said to experiment was a healing of tuberculous peritonitis. I know that mental diseases can be healed by sugestion in religious groups, but what about organic diseases?

Disease cannot be 'cured' by suggestion; their symptoms suppressed temporarily perhaps, but certainly not cured; odds are, that tuberculous patient still indeed had tuberculous, but through what amounts to basically psychological manipulation, merely stopped 'noticing' it, at least for a short while.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Scientists are generally aware that they don't know everything. Healing may occur and be outside of current scientific explanations... it's when people then add 'therefore invisible sky father' that one feels that there may be a *little* too much conclusion being drawn from not enough evidence.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-06-2014, 09:24 AM

Often when doctors tell their patient about their recovery possibilities from a disease or accident the doctor downplays the expectations. It's a sort of a "glass half full" type of medical outlook so the doctor doesn't get sued for misleading people with high expectations. But what sometimes happens is that if the patient does recover slightly or even totally the patient thinks "its a miracle." Nah, it's just better than what was expected the doctor dodged another lawsuit.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
18-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I think to the contrary scientists are usually attracted to things they cannot explain. They have a nasty habit of attributing natural causes to "supernatural" phenomena however. The level of inquiry doesn't stop at "dunno gawd did it", they tent to probe deeper until they can actually understand it; ie with math and naturalistic explanations. You can't understand the work of god even if he did exist, so a scientific explanation that includes the powers of god is by definition incomplete.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
18-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Hi Sophonian,

Please excuse the unnecessary bickering in your thread.

It seems obvious to almost everyone that you are here looking for answers and I can see this also by looking at your earlier posts.

At the same time, I notice that you did not post an introduction. Do not feel obliged to do so but an introductory post often helps to break the ice.

Also, it might be useful, in order to help us to help you, if you could give us a reference (a link to an article, for example) in your opening post (OP).

Cheers
DLJ

And welcome (because I didn't say that when you joined).

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post