Energy independence via algae.

Story here.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Algae Energy (this is awesome)
(11-04-2013 08:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Energy independence via algae.

Story here.

I had heard about similar ideas under consideration before. It looks like someone committed to full production.

Strange. On the same page as the Eco friendly pat building, is a like to this

$500 million Airbus A380 refit tied as private flying yacht for Saudi Billionaire!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
13-04-2013, 06:48 AM
RE: Algae Energy (this is awesome)
That's a really impressive system. Thanks, King.

Yeah, we get like five (sometimes six) months of winter in Montreal and the angle the sun strikes the Earth is really shallow (there's a seven hour sundown difference over the course of the year). So like most RE, I'd like to see how it functions in winter.

I have a PhD chemist friend who informs me that algae can also be pressed for oil to create biodiesel.

I hope that people investigate this. Hog farming produces toxic levels of pig manure. A million pigs create the same amount of waste as a city of ten million humans. The manure gets into the aquifer, contaminates everything and when it gets into the rivers, it causes algae blooms which creates anoxic conditions that kills river life.

It would be great if they could create a system in which algae feeds off of all of that manure and then gets harvested for use as an energy source. I mean, it's a fuck of a reliable organism, 3.5 billion years old or so, that multiplies quick, fast and in a hurry.

I think that the independent energy producer model, or on site producer, will replace the centralised power generation model. It's a much better system. The good news is that the energy grid is already in place, so producers can share with one another. Models like this one are encouraging.

One of the issues though is that humans use about 475 exajoules of power per year (exa is 10 to the 18th). Replacing that energy production (most of which is fossil fuel) with renewable sources is going to be difficult. I once heard that the global oil infrastructure is worth 45 trillion. So as an infrastructure program, it's astronomically expensive. Then factor in the issue that the real problem is that consumption demands continually rise. We're going to have to do something about that eventually.

Anyhoo, complicated stuff, but this algae stuff is neat. Thanks again, King.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post