Algae and fish on Saturn's moon?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Algae and fish on Saturn's moon?
Now I know they are probably trying to stir the public imagination and also trying to relate to the common person (main audience of a tabloid newspaper), but algae and fish on Saturn's moon? REALLY?!!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/art...d=11536153
Quote:If life exists " and more missions would be needed for confirmation " it might range from microscopic algae to little fish, the scientists said.

If it didn't evolve on Earth and if life on Saturn's moon and life on Earth didn't have a common ancestor then they wouldn't belong to the same phylogenetic tree. We couldn't really call them algae or fish.
Perhaps they may visually appear similar or have some similar characteristics due to filling similar adaptive spaces e.g. swim in water and have a tail and gill like structures, but they certainly wouldn't be fish.

I think the idea of life on other worlds is fascinating but I don't see why we limit ourselves to thinking that primitive life would be algae and that water based multicellular life might be fish.

They could have easily said algae-like, fish-like. People could relate to that and it would sound even more exotic and alien, wouldn't it?

I wonder if our own bodies would be able to breakdown the "protien-like" structures of an alien life-form? I suspect they would probably be indigestible for us.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 09:52 PM
RE: Algae and fish on Saturn's moon?
They're trying to write to the average reader, and the average reader lost you at evolution.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-10-2015, 09:59 PM
RE: Algae and fish on Saturn's moon?
(27-10-2015 09:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  They're trying to write to the average reader, and the average reader lost you at evolution.
It's a NZ newspaper though. We generally aren't anti-evolution like USA might be.