Ali vs Tyson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Ali vs Tyson
Here we go. That classic question again. Who would win in a fight, Ali in his prime or Tyson in his prime?

My opinion: Tyson

Why: First, we're talking Tyson in his prime (short black shorts Tyson, before the death of Cus, before Robin Givens and Don King exploited him for personal gain and ruined him, before jail). Tyson was a ball of pure rage and unadulterated power. He took just as many fighters down with body shots as he did head shots. He could knock you out with glancing blows or even punches that you blocked. He was so strong that most fighters were too scared to fight back, they just went into turtle shell mode. But that alone wouldn't defeat Ali.

Ali was a master of the art of boxing. If you were slow, he would dance around you all day, frustrating you. If you were strong, he would let you tire yourself out and stay on the outside. If you weren't a good boxer, he would let the world know it by toying with you. He beat really strong fighters. He beat Foreman, and he beat Liston, who was basically a fatter, slower Foreman.

But Tyson wasn't just strong. His speed made slow motion replays look normal speed. His side to side, low to the ground technique would quickly close the gap to Ali. And once Tyson was on the inside, it would be over. Tyson only ever needed one or two punches. I remember back in the day, people stopped paying for Tyson HBO pay per views, because you would pay 50 bucks for a 17 second fight.

It's not really Ali's fault. It was different time periods, different body types, different opportunities afforded. Ali was scrappy. He was tough in that "lean 1970's Negro physique" that developed while running from corrupt policemen. Tyson was 230 pounds of modern technology.

But like the NES game, if Ali could survive the first few rounds against Tyson, he had a chance.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2012, 03:55 AM
RE: Ali vs Tyson
First, they would need to be in same category, then this argument might have a point. You can not compare 2 fighters from different categories. Now, my knowledge is a bit vague, but wasn't Tyson one or more categories higher than Ali? It's just like the question about Mirko CroCop and Bruce Lee. There is no point in trying to compare these two...

Enlighten me about Tyson and Ali's categories.

Thank you.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
14-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Filox, I'm pretty sure they were both heavyweights.

Anway, as much as I love Ali... I'm going to have to agree with you, BC.

Tyson in his prime would be too much for Ali in his prime.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
14-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Rocky.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-11-2012, 10:18 AM
(14-11-2012 10:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  Rocky.
But only after an extended training montage.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
14-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm going to weigh in here (seewhatididthere?) on the side of Ali. Dude could float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Tyson was built to give punishment. Ali was built to take punishment. Rocky isn't that far off an analogy. Drago was the perfect physical specimen with power in his punch to kill. But Rocky took the punishment, wore down Drago and took him down. Ali would rope-a-dope Tyson to the canvas. No doubt 'bout it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-11-2012, 10:27 AM
(14-11-2012 10:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm going to weigh in here (seewhatididthere?) on the side of Ali. Dude could float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Tyson was built to give punishment. Ali was built to take punishment. Rocky isn't that far off an analogy. Drago was the perfect physical specimen with power in his punch to kill. But Rocky took the punishment, wore down Drago and took him down. Ali would rope-a-dope Tyson to the canvas. No doubt 'bout it.
Did you actually just compare reality to Rocky IV?

THERE'S NO EASY WAY OUT! THERE'S NO SHORTCUT HOME!

For real, though. Rocky IV isn't a good example. If that was real life, Rocky would be an invalid from the massive head trauma received from Drago after the first couple of rounds. In real life, Rocky would have massive brain swelling and hemorrhaging before the 3rd round.

14-11-2012, 10:35 AM
(14-11-2012 10:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 10:21 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm going to weigh in here (seewhatididthere?) on the side of Ali. Dude could float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Tyson was built to give punishment. Ali was built to take punishment. Rocky isn't that far off an analogy. Drago was the perfect physical specimen with power in his punch to kill. But Rocky took the punishment, wore down Drago and took him down. Ali would rope-a-dope Tyson to the canvas. No doubt 'bout it.
Did you actually just compare reality to Rocky IV?

THERE'S NO EASY WAY OUT! THERE'S NO SHORTCUT HOME!

For real, though. Rocky IV isn't a good example. If that was real life, Rocky would be an invalid from the massive head trauma received from Drago after the first couple of rounds. In real life, Rocky would have massive brain swelling and hemorrhaging before the 3rd round.
Pfff. Theists have no imagination.

Ali had plenty of massive brain swelling. He can't even speak or move in a clear fashion because of all the head trauma he took.

I stand by my argument. I must break you.

14-11-2012, 11:59 AM
He's not human. He's like a piece of iron.

14-11-2012, 12:06 PM
(14-11-2012 11:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  He's not human. He's like a piece of iron.
Indeed, but Rocky beat him by training old school style!