Ali vs Tyson

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 01:43 PM
RE: Ali vs Tyson
I wonder if there's a generational component to this answer.
Kind of like the popular saying that most people pick their favorite 007 based on the one they grew up with. I grew up during the time of "The greatest who ever lived," so I'm going to naturally gravitate to Ali.
You youngsters never saw him fight, but there was poetry and grace behind Ali's power. Tyson was like watching raw power being unleashed on an opponent's face. It was a bit terrifying, but he was like a one trick pony. It is as if he used a club to beat his opponents while Ali used a scalpel.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2012, 03:21 PM
The Tyson/Holyfield fight was after Tyson had already fought 50 fights and had just done 10 years in jail. After Cus died and people started taking advantage of him, Tyson didn't really know how to use his style anymore. Prime Tyson didn't throw wild haymakers until his opponents stopped fighting back. He threw precision bombs that didn't tire him out. Tyson nowadays just throws wildly because he knows he has no stamina.

And Ali lost and struggled with a smaller, slower, and weaker version of Tyson; Joe Frazier. Frazier moved similarly to Tyson, back and forth and always moving.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
14-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Ali and Frazier fought 3 times.
Frazier won the first, but Ali won both of the subsequent fights.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
14-11-2012, 08:45 PM
(14-11-2012 03:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ali and Frazier fought 3 times.

Yes yes, but I'm saying the fact that Ali even lost at all to a slower, smaller, weaker version of Tyson doesn't bode well for his chances.

If just a little rat poison can kill you (KO you), then a whole bunch will completely fuck you up.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
14-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Ali vs Tyson
(14-11-2012 08:45 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 03:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ali and Frazier fought 3 times.

Yes yes, but I'm saying the fact that Ali even lost at all to a slower, smaller, weaker version of Tyson doesn't bode well for his chances.

If just a little rat poison can kill you (KO you), then a whole bunch will completely fuck you up.

Yes yes, but I'm saying the fact that Ali even beat a slower weaker version of Tyson 2 out of 3 times lends even more credence to Ali's ability to beat Tyson.

14-11-2012, 09:07 PM
(14-11-2012 09:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 08:45 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Yes yes, but I'm saying the fact that Ali even lost at all to a slower, smaller, weaker version of Tyson doesn't bode well for his chances.

Yes yes, but I'm saying the fact that Ali even beat a slower weaker version of Tyson 2 out of 3 times lends even more credence to Ali's ability to beat Tyson.

I'm failing to follow your logic. If I can lift 100 pounds 2 out of the 3 times I try it... that doesn't mean I can probably lift 300 pounds. That means that anything more than 100 pounds is most likely going to put me in the hospital.

14-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Ali vs Tyson
(14-11-2012 09:07 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 09:00 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes yes, but I'm saying the fact that Ali even beat a slower weaker version of Tyson 2 out of 3 times lends even more credence to Ali's ability to beat Tyson.

I'm failing to follow your logic. If I can lift 100 pounds 2 out of the 3 times I try it... that doesn't mean I can probably lift 300 pounds. That means that anything more than 100 pounds is most likely going to put me in the hospital.

Don't try to use your trigonometry tricks on me Sorcerer!

15-11-2012, 04:02 PM
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkfyua8jN9wpqeJQqCngx...6JgFlsFXX1]

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
15-11-2012, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 04:31 PM by kingschosen.)
OK OK OK OK

NOW FOR THE REAL QUESTION:

Who would win?

Mohammad Ali and "Smokin'" Joe Frazier and Oscar De La Hoya

VS

Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield and "Iron" Mike Tyson and Manny Pacquiao

in a TRIPLE Tag Team Boxing Match.

All boxers are in their prime.

Tags can be made at any time, just as long as the the teammate is holding the tag rope.

If a boxer is KO'ed or TKO'ed, he is eliminated.

The match ends when all boxers on a team are eliminated.

There are unlimited rounds.

DING DING DING

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Problem is we can only really look at stats on paper to compare these two, everything else is conjecture (and sportscasters get paid big bucks to do just that) and stats alone won't really cut it with Ali especially. You can never say with great certainty how it would go with these two in their primes, in the ring. I will say Tyson never was tested in his prime but when he was tested it seem to frustrate him (see Holyfield) and he would react...badly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user