Alien Bacteria Could Breed in Extreme 'Hypergravity'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Alien Bacteria Could Breed in Extreme 'Hypergravity'
[Image: e.coli-bacteria-gravity-alien-life.jpg?1303756693]

Quote:Colorized scanning electron micrograph depicting Escherichia coli bacteria, which recent research shows can breed in gravity 400,000 times stronger than that of Earth. Most E. coli strains are harmless, but the one here is O157:H7, which can cause severe illness in people.
CREDIT: CDC/Janice Haney Carr

If alien life is out there, it may be able to exploit more-extreme environments than scientists think, because huge gravitational forces don't seem to pose much of a problem for microbes.

Several different species of bacteria can survive and reproduce in "hypergravity" more than 400,000 times stronger than that of the Earth, a new study reports. The find suggests that alien life could take root in a wide range of conditions -- and that it could survive the high G-forces imposed by meteorite impacts and ejections, making the exchange of life between planets a distinct possibility.

[Read More]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Snuff's post
26-04-2011, 01:58 AM
RE: Alien Bacteria Could Breed in Extreme 'Hypergravity'
We are now finding life, mostly bacteria, in extreme parts of this planet that we used to think life couldn't survive in. Life is tough and resilient and the the smaller it is the tougher it is.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
26-04-2011, 02:13 AM
An interesting article I had found at the beginning of April that I am trying to keep up with about alien life form.
http://www.examiner.com/ufo-in-montgomer...-meteorite
26-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Wow, i guess this means gravity is probably not a problem for life on any planets out there.

At least we'd most likely be taller than them though Smile
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 01:56 PM

well the problem with this is that it doesn't really prove life on other planets, it proves that organisms can evolve to survive in insane conditions though. The problem is, would life be able to START in alien planets so that it may evolve into intense gravity resistant organisms?
26-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I was watching a video on youtube where Lee Strobel was going on about how if gravity were to be changed by the smallest conceivable amount then no intelligent life could survive. =P

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
26-04-2011, 03:11 PM
There is a high possibility that there are planets with life form on them much like Earth billions of years ago. Does our location in the Milky Way have anything to do with it? The age of our planet? Since our technology can only reach our solar system at the moment we won't know until a good while... but if there are lifeforms like ours then they are still in the neanderthal periods in my opinion if even that far. Although there are probably so many more lifeforms that we wouldn't even find imaginable much like we find on our own planet the green aliens are highly doubtful unless they survived off of something that causes an appearance of such. A simple bacteria from space would prove that aliens exist... anything from another world or area of the universe is an alien life form.
26-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:I was watching a video on youtube where Lee Strobel was going on about how if gravity were to be changed by the smallest conceivable amount then no intelligent life could survive. =P
-_- That's absurd. Especially since we don't know how intelligent life first started on our own planet.

Quote:There is a high possibility that there are planets with life form on them much like Earth billions of years ago. Does our location in the Milky Way have anything to do with it? The age of our planet? Since our technology can only reach our solar system at the moment we won't know until a good while... but if there are lifeforms like ours then they are still in the neanderthal periods in my opinion if even that far. Although there are probably so many more lifeforms that we wouldn't even find imaginable much like we find on our own planet the green aliens are highly doubtful unless they survived off of something that causes an appearance of such. A simple bacteria from space would prove that aliens exist... anything from another world or area of the universe is an alien life form.
I don't see why you're making such assumptions. There is no reason to believe that there are life forms like us on any other planet. There is plenty reason to believe there is life and intelligent life on other planets, but I don't understand the prediction that there are humanoid Neanderthal-like creatures on other planets. One must remember that the organisms on earth came to be the way they are by evolution that forced them to adapt to their surroundings. Different surroundings will result in different organisms. So unless this other planet is an exact replica of Earth, there's a good chance their lifeforms will be very different from humans.

ALSO, I can't stress enough how we don't know how life first started. Who knows? Maybe on other planets, it started in a whole different way and there's an entirely different system of genetic storage. If this is so, organisms on other planets could be mind bafflingly different from the organisms we're accustomed to. I highly, highly highly HIGHLY doubt there are Neanderthals habiting another planet.
26-04-2011, 04:34 PM

You do realize this holds potential to be the real life great great great great grrreat grandstrain of the Alien creature (in the movies) right? Tongue

Or maybe the Predator. Confused
26-04-2011, 05:33 PM
(26-04-2011 04:09 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  
Quote:I was watching a video on youtube where Lee Strobel was going on about how if gravity were to be changed by the smallest conceivable amount then no intelligent life could survive. =P
-_- That's absurd. Especially since we don't know how intelligent life first started on our own planet.

Quote:There is a high possibility that there are planets with life form on them much like Earth billions of years ago. Does our location in the Milky Way have anything to do with it? The age of our planet? Since our technology can only reach our solar system at the moment we won't know until a good while... but if there are lifeforms like ours then they are still in the neanderthal periods in my opinion if even that far. Although there are probably so many more lifeforms that we wouldn't even find imaginable much like we find on our own planet the green aliens are highly doubtful unless they survived off of something that causes an appearance of such. A simple bacteria from space would prove that aliens exist... anything from another world or area of the universe is an alien life form.
I don't see why you're making such assumptions. There is no reason to believe that there are life forms like us on any other planet. There is plenty reason to believe there is life and intelligent life on other planets, but I don't understand the prediction that there are humanoid Neanderthal-like creatures on other planets. One must remember that the organisms on earth came to be the way they are by evolution that forced them to adapt to their surroundings. Different surroundings will result in different organisms. So unless this other planet is an exact replica of Earth, there's a good chance their lifeforms will be very different from humans.

ALSO, I can't stress enough how we don't know how life first started. Who knows? Maybe on other planets, it started in a whole different way and there's an entirely different system of genetic storage. If this is so, organisms on other planets could be mind bafflingly different from the organisms we're accustomed to. I highly, highly highly HIGHLY doubt there are Neanderthals habiting another planet.

I'm making these assumptions because I can and I don't see what is so hard about another planet far off having Neanderthal like creatures... Out of all of the planets and stars in the night sky and even ones we have yet to discover you don't think there could be a planet exactly like ours? All it would take is a solar system just like ours and a planet almost exactly like ours with the same distance from the sun... That doesn't seem hard in this vast universe, in my opinion.