Alien Tourist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Alien Tourist.
Insert your own circumstances leading up to how you got there, but you are on an alien ship orbiting the planet and the aliens have some questions they would like you to answer.

1: What is love?
2: Why do some people on the planet have more than other people?
3: Why are we slowly destroying our planet and life on it?
4: Why do we have wars?
5: What is god?

What would your answers be? Or/and add your own questions and I shall edit them into this post.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2013, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 10:47 AM by Misanthropik.)
RE: Alien Tourist.

A strong emotional attachment felt toward another, a group of others, or to an object or group of objects. It is important to the continuation of our species, because it compels us to remain together as social groups; which means that our genes within that group are protected and can thus have a greater chance of being passed on. Once they're passed on, love also compels us to remain together long enough to protect our offspring. Again, this ensures a greater survival potential for our genes.

That's what we've come to learn that love is truly about. But speaking from a more emotional perspective, love can be both a beautiful and insidious thing. The feelings must be intensely positive in order to keep us close to those who are our object(s) of affection, so in that regard, it can be very pleasant. But such feelings can also become a source of our deepest pain and resentment under certain circumstances. I don't know if you experience a similar mechanism in your species, so I'll just say that you'd have to be Human to understand.

(I think I'm understanding you correctly in that you're talking about possessions, rather than continuing the topic of love. If not, my apologies)

There are many different reasons. Some don't have the means to acquire certain excesses. Others simply don't want to. They're content with what they have. There's also the fact that love, while intense in certain circumstances, does not extend to everyone. Some people have less than others because those who have more do not wish to extend their love by giving some of their possessions to those who have less. They're simply not compeled to help others. There can be any number of reasons that some people have more/less; it depends on the circumstances.

Because we are very highly evolved; to the point that it's gotten out of hand. We have too much ability and not the intelligence to utilize it responsibly. We learned how to benefit ourselves by exploiting certain resources, and we began to do it to excess before we learned how it might have serious consequences. You'll not understand this metaphor because it's a part of our culture, but we're like a child who's been given free reign to do whatever he wants. We have access to almost everything we can get our hands on, and yet we have no idea how to use it properly. When we learn that a certain animal's skin can benefit us in some way, we take way too much of it - to the point that the species of animal is wiped out completely. When we learn that trees can benefit us in certain ways, we cut them all down until there are none left. We take too many huge bites of the cake without being smart enough to forsee that it's going to make us feel sick.

We are but a juvenile species with brains that grew too big, too quickly. And the worst part is that, as you can see, we're aware of this fact, and yet that does nothing to stop us.

"Alas, how terrible this wisdom, when it brings no profit to the wise." - Sophocles

There are many reasons. Sometimes wars are motivated by disagreements. One group wishes to carry out certain actions, and another group disagrees that the actions should be carried out. If neither group is able to reach a peaceful agreement, a bitter dispute will soon break out.

Other times, a war is fueld by a primitive and irrational sense of revenge. If one group is attacked by another group, they may wish to lash out against their attackers. This is irrational because it does nothing to undo the effects of the initial attack, and does, in fact, make things much worse for everyone involved. But again, we are a juvenile species. We still cling to primitive irrationalities.

In other cases, war may be fueld by the prospect of personal gain. One group has something that a second group wants, so the second group attacks and kills them for it. It's rather amusing; many among our species are comforted by the fantastical notion that we are somehow "above" the more savage animal species of our planet. The sad but demonstrable reality, however, is that there is no significant difference between us and those who still reside within the trees. Other than, perhaps, a more effective means of savagery.

"We are monkeys with ammo. Nothing advanced more." - Ventana

"God" is the name given to the abstract concept of an initial designer or protagonist. Many among our species believe that there must be a singular figure or series of figures, conscious in their form, and able to do any number of things. They believe this figure or figures - known as "God" - is who or what must have caused existence to be. As I've said, we are a primitive and juvenile species, and so we are susceptible to the unfounded notion that everything which exists or is undertaken must have an initial cause or undertaker. Our primitive brains seek patterns, and our observations have, thus far, been that effects have causes. What's more, we're inclined (for other evolutionary reasons) to assume that the "cause" must be intelligent. This has prompted many to believe that there is an intelligent undertaker who resides somewhere in existence; despite the fact that we've never seen, heard, or felt it. In fact, we do not even know precisely what a god is, and yet the vast majority of us still believe it to exist. You see, once again, just how juvenile we truly are.

On that note, you're here to eradicate us now, yes? I'm sure you didn't travel all this way just to check out my rectum...

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
03-06-2013, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 10:48 AM by Revenant77x.)
(03-06-2013 08:07 AM)bemore Wrote:  Insert your own circumstances leading up to how you got there, but you are on an alien ship orbiting the planet and the aliens have some questions they would like you to answer.

What would your answers be? Or/and add your own questions and I shall edit them into this post.

#1: Love is the firing of chemicals in the brain that foster a sense of euphoria. It's main purpose is to expand the reproductive urge into a family rearing urge thus why it tends to last only 7 years for most people. It developed at some point in human evolution when child rearing went from being the responsibility of the entire clan to being more the individual parents concern.

#2: The non-equal distribution of wealth is multifaceted but arises from the fact that as a species we went through a long clan/tribal stage and have yet to really fully emerge from that mindset. Back in prehistory, when we were still more ape than man (ie: residents of Pittsburgh) every clan had a pecking order with most members being in the middle and a few at either end of the scale. This is how we have always created our civilizations since.

#3: Remember those Apes I mentioned earlier, yeah we aren't much past them in some ways. Humans are still very impulse driven and prefer instant gratification. We also only have a timespan in our head of maybe a few years at best before it gets blurry. However the main reason for it is part of the result of answer to question #2. The biggest destroyers of the planet are cultures that are playing catch up, we refer to them as "emerging" China and India. The biggest problem is those 2 cultures have almost half of the worlds population between them and the society they are emulating is one that lives on the far end of the wealth scale. This brings up a couple of major problems, firstly even though the western powers they are emulating have moved past their major CO2 dump period (a major source of spoilage in the world) it took them some 100 years or so to do so and that was with a population of less than 1/4 of those 2 countries. Thus China and India when confronted with their destruction points back at the west and says "Why was it ok for you to do this for 100 years but now that it is our time we are wrong" and when the west ignores this point they dismiss us and that ancient ape from our past grabs his spear and begins to howl. We are nearing a crisis that may push us into the next step of evolution extinction or adaptation.

#4 War is easy. War is for the same reason a couple of 2 year olds fight over a toy only expanded to a scale that involves millions. Again this is the "thinking" of the under evolved ape that still lives in us, he and his clan have their stuff and no one can take it from them. What was once a fight over the good water source that involved 10 apes is now a fight over a geopolitical incident involving 20,000 troops and weapons fired from the other side of the planet. Luckily this impulse seems to be lessening if the research is correct. It has been almost 70 years since a major European war has broken out that is almost unprecedented the average is one war every 20 years. The current conflicts are in regions that are lagging behind the rest of the world in both infrastructure (schools, roads, clean water, electricity) and personal freedom (free speech, freedom of person etc...) if the problem from question #2 can ever be solved then this will resolve itself.

#5 God is another concept of our friend the ape from prehistory. God is the reason for everything unknown. We as a species need to have a reason for everything, this is hardwired into us and the phrase "I don't know" is one of the hardest ones for us to admit. God/s are the magic answer the easy explanation for the things that happen that we have no control over.

We evolved on a planet that for all intents and purposes may as well be trying to kill us, practically everything on it can. As best as we can tell we began as a prey species, tree-dwelling fruit eating primates. It wasn't for a very long time that we began to consume meat and at first this was just scavenged from the kills of other predators. To prey you cannot ignore that rustle in the reeds cause yeah it might be the wind but then again it might be a lion. If it is the wind and you treat it like a lion nothing bad happens however if it is the reverse then you're dinner.

Now the concept of God/s has undergone the evolutionary process with us. They have moved from being primal aspects of nature into being abstract projections of us. As they transformed their functions have been modified as well, but one thing remains. God/s are often "angry" and need to be appeased or He/she/it/they will call down lightning to strike you or a tornado to destroy the town or a flood to drown the "wicked". This of course gives those who stand in for the God/s great power. The Priest/magicman can use that power for good or evil but mostly it is used for neither, it is used to increase the power and wealth of the Gods-mouth. He who speaks for the God/s is always near the top of whatever power structure they are in and use this power to secure itself and to expand itself.

To the faithful (or sheep as they like to be called) God is the ultimate example of Wishful thinking. He is the magic wand that can make everything right. Invoke the magic words and he will grant you your hearts desire as long as you believe hard enough. If He doesn't it's your fault for not being worthy. He is the yolk placed upon the working class to steer them and keep them content with their lot. He also promises eternal bliss after your life is over, so no need to fear death (which they all do anyway)

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-06-2013, 10:50 AM
1. Love is something you avoid if at all possible.
2. I don't know why, but it sucks.
3. Because we're arrogant pricks like that.
4. We can never agree on anuthing.
5. Something we made up years ago.

Interestingly, all five questions you asked have a little bit of every other question set in their proper responses.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
1/2/3/4/5: Money.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
1. Mating allows us to pass on our alleles. Love is what we call the rituals and promises built up around the urge to mate and to form long term social bonds.
2. Our economic system relies on people working hard for reward. The reward depends a little on the work, a little on luck, a little on social confections and a lot on the abundance of reward to the people around us. The more reward flows around a web of social connections the easier it is to be rewarded for being part of that web. The web is stronger and weaker in different places, and the more distant you are from high levels of reward the less reward there is to go around.
3. The web of social bonds also conveys information. Information flows in a similar way to reward. Both reward and information are resisted as they travel, and in some cases tend to retard each other's flow. Reward often increases with good information, but reward activities that can only continue if information is false inevitably causes resistance to the information flow.
4. We wage wars to force information through highly resistant webs, to reshape the connections that make up the web, to change the way reward flows through the web, and sometimes simply to reduce the number of nodes so there is more reward to go around.
5. God is a system of reward and punishment designed to maintain the web in a particular shape based on a mixture of true and false information that is propagated as truth.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
(03-06-2013 08:07 AM)bemore Wrote:  1: What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me ♪
Don't hurt me ♪ no more ♫
Baby don't hurt me ♫
Don't hurt me no more ♪

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like KVron's post
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
(03-06-2013 08:39 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 08:07 AM)bemore Wrote:  1: What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me ♪
Don't hurt me ♪ no more ♫
Baby don't hurt me ♫
Don't hurt me no more ♪

Thank you for taking the blame on that one Thumbsup

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
04-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Ive enjoyed reading everybody's responses to these questions. Some very well thought out and eloquent posts Smile

(03-06-2013 10:39 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  On that note, you're here to eradicate us now, yes? I'm sure you didn't travel all this way just to check out my rectum...

Drinking Beverage

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post