Alien religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Alien religion
Many of the books that I have read on human history and evolution mention that religion served an evolutionary purpose of creating tighter social bonds and curbing deception (the result of the newly acquired ability of language). Dawkins and other biologists have suggested that if alien life does exist, they most likely developed by means of Darwinian evolution. I wonder then if religion is a universal step in the evolution of all super intelligent beings. I realize that if aliens do exist their biology and society will probably far different from our own. I'm just interested in what others here think.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2012, 06:20 AM
RE: Alien religion
Maybe.........

If it does I would say that the ones (alien species) that do become super intelligent are probably the ones who overcome religion and replace "faith" with "knowledge"

(hence becoming super intelligent) Consider

EDIT: Which poses the question to me that all religion is.... is faith.

Once you had the knowlegde of the universe who would be your god????

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
16-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Yeah. Religion starts out as a primitive form of science to explain stuff like thunder, volcanoes, and death. It then develops into a social construct of the perfect being. We get a lot of that nowadays, with a focus on moral values, but there's still peeps in the world that make wards against the evil eye.

Faith ya won't get rid of, but religion should become increasingly obsolescent as the culture evolves.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
16-06-2012, 10:14 AM
I imagine even a "super-advanced" species would still have it's loonies. I understand their psychology would probably be vastly different from ours, but surely gullibility is a constant, haha.

Blog? Blog!
Current Topics:
Zelda remakes!
Awesome Orcadian Folklore!
16-06-2012, 11:00 AM
(16-06-2012 10:14 AM)AdaMiSt Wrote:  I imagine even a "super-advanced" species would still have it's loonies. I understand their psychology would probably be vastly different from ours, but surely gullibility is a constant, haha.

That's a fact! Just look at the Ferengi. I suspect they are the cosmic ancestry of all my Wall Street buddies. Yes

Unsure
I mean, as long as we're supposing.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-06-2012, 12:55 PM
(16-06-2012 11:00 AM)kim Wrote:  
(16-06-2012 10:14 AM)AdaMiSt Wrote:  I imagine even a "super-advanced" species would still have it's loonies. I understand their psychology would probably be vastly different from ours, but surely gullibility is a constant, haha.

That's a fact! Just look at the Ferengi. I suspect they are the cosmic ancestry of all my Wall Street buddies. Yes

Unsure
I mean, as long as we're supposing.
Kim= Heart Heart Heart

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-06-2012, 09:27 PM
This is interesting. The idea that religion created society which in turn helped us grow into what we are today, and that it is part of growing and developing hence aliens likely are religious too.
Just to clarify is that what is being said here?

I sorta agree but think that it is purely situational. Like I think your environment effect you more, especially in early man. Like I think if there are aliens like ourselves then they would live in a very different world, different resources, different climates and environments. Perhaps there is no rain, hence no clouds hence no thunder/lightening. Perhaps no moon so no tide. Perhaps the planet is not tilted on its axis hence no sessions.
Factors like these would change cultures. If resources are scarce then people would have to work together much more giving cause for small settlements which in turn gives rise to specialization and rapid growth, or even perhaps fight more often. War brings innovation which in turn would speed up development.
If there is a constant struggle for survival perhaps there is no time for church every Sunday.
A lack of sessions/weather would not lead to questions such as where does thunder come from. And if there is no questions there is no answer (religion).

It is hard to tell I think. We are the only 'intelligent' species we know. We can look at past ape man species but they were hardly at our level.
It is easy to look at evolution in animals, even extinct animals such as dinosaurs. But intelligent beings? That is an entirely different ball game. Evolution and daily life I think don't really work hand in hand of each other.

Now, the idea that we would believe things because we are told them to be true, that would be an evolutionary trait I would think. But that doesn't instantly mean religion.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Well man did have the unfortunate fate to become very controlling with religion, perhaps an alien society would have built off a much more accepting sort of religion similar to Buddhism, then they might continue to be religious, but pose no societal problems due to it. Not every religion seeks to destroy non-believers. Let's keep that in mind, especially as we are mostly atheist, it's too easy for us to get sucked into the idea that ALL religion is bad.
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post