Aliens looking back at us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 01:01 AM
RE: Aliens looking back at us?
(17-01-2015 08:05 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What bothered me about your proposition from the first time I read this.. may be silly.. but to me, if they have our equal technology. They would of had to of had it for a bit longer to really see us.

I guess it's like our just finding a couple Goldilocks zone potential like planets out there making a dimple in the light of a distant Star. Maybe they are at that point but I think of them even being close to seeing us as some pale blue dot at all is a distance away from our tech.

Incorrect. The distance of light traveling have nothing to do with relevant time. They may be looking at the light the earth reflected a million years ago or so, but that does not mean that the planet we are both looking at could be gazed at during the same relative time. That is what I mean by we are looking right back at each other.

So for instance. Lets say I opened a worm hole to their planet or had a way to instantaneously travel there. Then look at earth through a telescope. I would not be magically teleported a million years into the earths future and be gazing at it. If someone looked back, regardless of the distance of light traveled. We would still be looking at each other. Its just that what we would see is the light from the past, Just, each others past at the same time. But staring right back at each other still none-the-less.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 01:54 AM
If highly advanced species are aware of us. They no doubt have witnessed the obvious energy signatures of atomic weapons use. Thus disregarding us as a species worth contacting. It's a possibility.
19-01-2015, 02:40 AM
(19-01-2015 01:54 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  If highly advanced species are aware of us. They no doubt have witnessed the obvious energy signatures of atomic weapons use. Thus disregarding us as a species worth contacting. It's a possibility.

Why would the utilisation of atomic weaponry be grounds for automatic exclusion as a species worth contact?
It seems to me as proof of technological advance worth close monitoring.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-01-2015, 02:54 AM
I said it's a possibility. Do you think atomic weapons show signs of an advanced society? I think it shows signs of a species that has made very poor decisions.
19-01-2015, 03:11 AM
(19-01-2015 02:54 AM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  I said it's a possibility. Do you think atomic weapons show signs of an advanced society? I think it shows signs of a species that has made very poor decisions.

It shows both, probably. But I think Free Thought meant that it shows technological advance, and he's right. Not as in "good advance" just an advance. Regardless of whether you agree with atomic weapons or not, it does show progress in that area.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
19-01-2015, 03:18 AM
I'm not talking one or two detonations. That would prove hey rhat species can split the atom.I'm talking about the energy signatures of a systematic development of weapons of mass destruction. Do you think an advanced species would want anything to do with us? I find it unlikely. But your opinion may differ.
19-01-2015, 03:31 AM
I have two things to say on that:

1. I don't really want to play FT's advocate lol but he said "monitoring", so if for example we detected another species doing the same, trust me, every government would be monitoring that. For curiosity first, but also as a precaution, and maybe for many other reasons.

2. A species that uses atomic weapons has made poor decisions, I agree with you. But it's also true that many of us have done wonderful things and weapons, although a very nasty stain in our history, are only a stain in the sea of good things we've accomplished.

However you think that would deter someone contacting us, and I respect your opinion. I'm just saying that it might not necessarily be a valid enough reason for every species or even every individual.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post