Aliens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 10:14 AM
RE: Aliens
(16-05-2016 10:08 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  I can tell you as a Christian, I do not believe in the concept of aliens. I was just wondering if atheists had differing opinions on the subject. It sounds as if no one has an opinion on the matter.

It's already been explained to you that atheism has nothing to do with a person's belief in aliens.
Speaking as a person, I think it's possible there could be intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
16-05-2016, 10:17 AM
(16-05-2016 10:08 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  I can tell you as a Christian, I do not believe in the concept of aliens. I was just wondering if atheists had differing opinions on the subject. It sounds as if no one has an opinion on the matter.

I just looked at a few websites on the subject and it turns out that the Catholic church believes that aliens are possible.

So I guess Christians do believe in Aliens.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
16-05-2016, 10:26 AM
(16-05-2016 10:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

I just looked at a few websites on the subject and it turns out that the Catholic church believes that aliens are possible.

So I guess Christians do believe in Aliens.

To be fair, I doubt this person considers Catholics actual Christians.

So there's that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-05-2016, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2016 10:38 AM by Bucky Ball.)
With the very recent findings from: http://phl.upr.edu/projects/habitable-ex...s-catalog, that virtually every star has planet(s) and what we can predict from the Drake Equation, the probability there are life forms all over the universe, is very high. One does not "believe" in aliens. Either there is evidence for them or not. What evidence we have now, does not support (yet) that life exists other than on the Earth. That will likely change soon.

The damage that does to old Earth religious systems would probably depend on how much one actually knows about those systems and how and why they developed.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ic-Origins
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-05-2016, 01:00 PM

I definitely believe in the concept of aliens; this thread is evidence of the concept.

I also accept that it is likely that alien life exists.

I see no good evidence that it has visited the earth.

It is not directly related to my atheism except that both positions are based on being a skeptic and only accepting claims that have evidence to support them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
16-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Does extraterrestrial life exist? Statistically, given the vast expanses of space, odds are yes. Has any extraterrestrial life visited our planet? I don't think so unless they have developed some form of travel that is faster than the speed of light.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
16-05-2016, 01:32 PM
(16-05-2016 01:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

I definitely believe in the concept of aliens; this thread is evidence of the concept.

I also accept that it is likely that alien life exists.

I see no good evidence that it has visited the earth.

It is not directly related to my atheism except that both positions are based on being a skeptic and only accepting claims that have evidence to support them.
Given everything in the quote (and agreeing with it), and adding that here on earth "life" has taken root in every known habitat, my own skeptical opinion is that extraterrestrial life, even intelligence, is more likely than not.

As with the above, however, there is no verifiable evidence that we have been visited. Further, there is reason to actively doubt that such visits have, or would, take place. These reasons inlude economic and physical constraints, which are often intertwined.

For example, here on earth, and even taking legends and wild-ass claims into account, no effective travel to the Americas was possible until shipbuilding technology had progressed to the point that repeated voyages could be undertaken by vessels that were in everyday use.

The intragalactic implication is that repeated visits to earth require vessels whose routine daily use involves an interstellar economy. Now, surely, such an "empire" would have already divulged it's presence through various means; remember, our own presence in the galaxy will probably be announced by original broadcasts of I Love Lucy. Not only have we not, to date, intercepted ship-to -ship communications of an approaching Vogon constructor fleet, neither have we received any episodes of I Love Phrixl.

Oh crap!
[+] 2 users Like jabeady's post
16-05-2016, 01:41 PM
(16-05-2016 01:32 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I Love Phrixl.
A classic! Thumbsup
16-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Yes.

in other news, there is particular thought or group of atheists called Raliens that is a claim of not only believing in aliens but basically believing aliens seeded human life and were the gods of olden legends I think.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-05-2016, 02:18 PM
(16-05-2016 02:14 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes.

in other news, there is particular thought or group of atheists called Raliens that is a claim of not only believing in aliens but basically believing aliens seeded human life and were the gods of olden legends I think.

I think that's more likely than G-d impregnating a married virgin and coming to earth as his own offspring and then not leaving a smidgen of evidence of this event, but punishing everyone who doesn't believe it with eternal damnation.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post