Aliens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 02:19 PM
RE: Aliens
(16-05-2016 02:14 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes.

in other news, there is particular thought or group of atheists called Raliens that is a claim of not only believing in aliens but basically believing aliens seeded human life and were the gods of olden legends I think.

As recorded by captains Picard and Kirk, respectively. All hail the Federation!

Oh crap!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2016, 02:37 PM
(16-05-2016 09:56 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  Do atheists believe in aliens?

I posted a thread in this very section about some christian wacko-nut-case believing Prince William was cloned from the Shroud of Turin and is now the AntiChrist. Hobo Now this isn't exactly believing in aliens but it's damned close. People get it in their heads all sorts of stuff are real. There are Christians who believe in Bigfoot too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-05-2016, 03:15 PM
(16-05-2016 10:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 10:08 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  I can tell you as a Christian, I do not believe in the concept of aliens. I was just wondering if atheists had differing opinions on the subject. It sounds as if no one has an opinion on the matter.

I just looked at a few websites on the subject and it turns out that the Catholic church believes that aliens are possible.

So I guess Christians do believe in Aliens.
The Vatican has actually held meetings on what to do in the event of alien contact. The guy in charge of their observatory said he'd baptize any alien who wanted it, but doubted that would happen. That said, I know some Baptists who think aliens are demons, and that alien abductions are demonic encounters.

(16-05-2016 01:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I definitely believe in the concept of aliens; this thread is evidence of the concept.

I also accept that it is likely that alien life exists.

I see no good evidence that it has visited the earth.
Pretty much this. Statistically the universe is so vast, it's hard to believe we're the only life, but there's no real evidence to convince me we've been visited.

Personally, on the OP, as a Catholic Christian, I'm a fan of the Fermi Paradox, the apparent contradiction in lack of evidence for the high probability of life existing elsewhere. But instead of a Mass Effect-esque Reapers, my own thoughts are:
1) The "Great Filter" hypothesis is correct and most species reach a threshold where they wipe themselves out.
2) Space is fricken huge. Even if one could somehow work out the seeming impossibility of faster than light travel, going even multiples of the speed of light it would take forever to go between stars. Alpha Centauri is our nearest star system; if we could go double the speed of light, it would still take us a bit over 2 years to go the 4.37 light years to get there.
3) Our signals reach out to a ridiculously small area of just this galaxy; there's a good chance no one has heard them, because again, space is fricken huge.
4) We're possibly just not that interesting or remarkable.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
16-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Ermm... I will try to answer this.

- Atheist means that you are not convinced of any deity. It doesn't really say anything about someone's view on aliens.

- I assume you are talking about the aliens as we hear about them in stories and such. Some do. Some don't. I personally think that the stories of aliens coming here and abducting people are not true.

- I like to look at aliens this way: We don't know if there is currently life on other planets. However, it's very likely considering how huge our universe is. The life on other planets does not have to be big eyed aliens with fancy spacecraft. It could mean a microscopic organism or a plant. Even non-humanoid land creatures would be a possibility. We simply do not know yet. The universe is so huge.

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
16-05-2016, 04:28 PM

I have proof that Aliens exists. Cool

Aliens is the greatest movie, of all time! Drinking Beverage
[Image: MV5BMTYzNzU5MzQ4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcx...SY720_.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
16-05-2016, 04:57 PM

You kind of need to define that down a little to make it a useful question; do you mean 'life originating off of Earth' or are you referring to sapient species of the same locational quality? Are you asking if we believe they might exist, or do you mean to ask whether we believe the Ancient Aliens flick is a documentary?

I believe that life on other planets is a very likely; given the timescale and the known property of amino acids to form and self replicate under the right conditions.

Do I believe we will ever meet space-faring sapient species? No. The distances are simply too large to traverse for that to be likely.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
16-05-2016, 05:21 PM
(16-05-2016 10:08 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  I can tell you as a Christian, I do not believe in the concept of aliens. I was just wondering if atheists had differing opinions on the subject. It sounds as if no one has an opinion on the matter.

Many of us have opinions on the matter. They're just all different. Your opening question asked about the beliefs of atheists as a group with respect to aliens and so you've gotten responses that were appropriate. Had you phrased the question differently you might have received the response that you sought more quickly.

Speaking solely for myself I am an alien. A "Non-human life form that comes from outer space and makes themselves known to human existence." Though I take exception to the term "outer space". It's you lot that are orbitting a foreign star. You may not believe me but I'm fairly certain that you can't prove that I'm not an alien.

Enjoy!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
16-05-2016, 09:10 PM

In a universe as vast and old as this one, I think that life on other planets is inevitable.

Due to the difficulty in travelling through vast reaches of space, however, I also think that the likelihood of encountering extraterrestrial life is very small. Assuming that we could travel to an inhabited planet, there's no guarantee that a sufficiently sentient life form would be alive at the time of our arrival. It could either have lived and become extinct, or it might not have evolved yet. Humanity and human civilization is just a blink of an eye in the history of this planet, so we could easily miss such "blinks" on other worlds because they're not happening concurrently to our sojourn on Earth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2016, 09:29 PM
The OP did not see the TV show UFO in the 60's???
Here's an alien. (Cool theme song too)

[Image: ufo2.png]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-05-2016, 02:54 PM
As everyone said Atheism doesn't apply to Extra Terrestrial life forms.

For me I was bigger into Alien Visitation when I was a believer then now. Mostly because I've become more skeptical on topics. But I doesn't seem to out laddish to think that there is life on other planets. Intelligent life I don't know. But life could be very possible. My main reason is that we know life is possible. We are one example of that, plus the millions of species of animal and plant life that has occurred on this planet.

Now if the question came up if alien life has visited us. A least from a stand point of intelligent life. Maybe bacteria, or some sort of Tardigrade. But no space ship aliens. Had they I think we would be is deep shit. Every example of human history shows the technologically superior group decimating the lest advance group. We would stand very little chance of out smarting them. A species that can travel the stars would be so far beyond us that we would be like rodents to them.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin