Aliens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2016, 04:48 AM
RE: Aliens
(22-05-2016 03:33 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I won't believe in aliens until I see one or credible video or photographic proof as a stepping stone to further research but I do find the Drake Equation to be very interesting. Interactive Drake Equation Breakdown

My father does believe in aliens and God which is kinda weird, and this whole discussion reminds me of a time when I was a teenager, my dad came home and said he had read that people who were routinely abducted by aliens were left alone if they had eaten chocolate the previous day, preferably at night. He had brought home a couple bags of mini chocolate candies like kit-kats and snickers bars. He insisted we eat one before bed and this continued for the couple of years I lived with my parents before moving out. I was fine with it since it was candy and they usually didn't like junk food in the house plus you never know, I never got abducted so maybe he was right.

I don't do this anymore but my dad will still ask me about it, if I've been eating my chocolate and I say yes, I just ate about a dozen brownies so I should be good for the next week or so.

My father gave me a book to read years ago called "Chariots of the Gods" by Erich Von Daniken, that he thought showed some credible evidence that aliens had visited Earth in the past and about how the Nazca lines were made by aliens, and how some of them were possibly "signposts" for aliens and/or "alien landing strips".

Even back then I was thinking "Aliens that can fly across the galaxy but need signposts and landing strips to land on Earth. I don't think so..."

Also reminds of a video that Neil Degrasse Tyson did about the possibility of alien life in the universe and when he was asked whether he thought there was any credibility in the area 51 crashed alien story. And he said something like "they travel billions of miles just to crash in the desert...I don't want to meet those aliens cause those are stupid aliens."

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
25-05-2016, 01:54 PM
(16-05-2016 09:56 AM)Truthwaylife Wrote:  Do atheists believe in aliens?

This one doesn't. There is no evidence that I have seen to warrant belief in aliens and I say this as someone who has seen a real, honest to goodness UFO on several occasions. I consider it evidence of something in the sky that I can't explain, not evidence of aliens. I do believe that alien life is possible however. But Until some facts are presented I won't believe. I could do as the theists do and say, there is no proof that there aren't aliens. I could say that since no one can explain what UFO's are then it must be aliens. I could believe that UFO's are alien spacecraft because I would like them to be but I recognize all these as fallacious reasons.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
26-05-2016, 01:37 PM
(25-05-2016 04:48 AM)unsapien Wrote:  My father gave me a book to read years ago called "Chariots of the Gods" by Erich Von Daniken, that he thought showed some credible evidence that aliens had visited Earth in the past and about how the Nazca lines were made by aliens, and how some of them were possibly "signposts" for aliens and/or "alien landing strips".

Even back then I was thinking "Aliens that can fly across the galaxy but need signposts and landing strips to land on Earth. I don't think so..."

Also reminds of a video that Neil Degrasse Tyson did about the possibility of alien life in the universe and when he was asked whether he thought there was any credibility in the area 51 crashed alien story. And he said something like "they travel billions of miles just to crash in the desert...I don't want to meet those aliens cause those are stupid aliens."

That's a very good point, they have this advanced technology and they can't control it? I just loved how much my dad thought that these alien visitors would travel all the way to our planet and then be like "Ewww chocolate, get it away!" Apparently they are allergic to it, ok sure, whatever. It reminds me of the aliens in Signs that are killed by water, they visit a planet that is almost all water, that's like if we visited a planet that was mostly acid and then tried to abduct the beings that lived there...who are also filled with acid and if you hurt them they cry acid and we go around completely naked, no armor or anti-acid burning suits or helmets. I know the movie was supposed to be scary but these are some really dumb aliens we're dealing with here.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
26-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Speaking of stupid aliens.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post