All Hallow's Read

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2011, 05:05 PM
All Hallow's Read
Judging by the reaction my Halloween thread has gotten my guess is that the majority of people on the forum have little or no interest in Halloween, and because of that I would also assume that not many of the forum members have heard of All Hallow's Read, which is a shame especially for such learned individuals as yourselves.

I'll put it out there anyways.

All Hallow's Read started out as a blog idea by one of my favorite writers Nail Gaiman, the idea was to give a scary book to someone for Halloween. Thereby spreading literacy around and also celebrating the greatest holiday the world has ever invented. Or ever will I might add.

I have done this for the majority of my life anyways, but am glad to see it gaining some momentum due to the suggestion of a fairly influential writer.

A link to the site that has sprung up... http://www.allhallowsread.com/

Also I think we could use this thread as a place to name some seriously spooky reads. I'll start with the famous IT, by the man Stephen King. This book unlike the made for tv movie scared me shitless as a kid. And I hope that someday I can read it to my kid to the same effect.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
RE: All Hallow's Read
Alright so either everyone hates Halloween which is impossible do to it's sheer awesomeness, or no one has any scary books to recommend which is implausible because I know that nearly everyone here reads. So I will bump my own thread just this once in hopes that someone out there feels the way I do.
[Image: Anatomical-Heart-Cake-1.jpg]

I read The Haunting of hill house last year after finally finding a copy, and although the author spends a little too much time describing the main characters whiny thoughts it was definitely a good read. Nice atmosphere ( also the movie is worth a watch, and by the movie, I mean the original.)

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is a classic worth reading by anyone. It's less of a horror and more of an example of paranoid mental behavior. I still can't find the original movie adaption on dvd locally which makes me sad.

Salem's Lot is a fun read along the lines of old school style vampire in a new school (for the time) setting. It's fun, but not one of Stephen Kings best books. You have to take it for what he intended it to be, his version of the classic drive in vampire movie.

Cell, also by the man King. One of my favorite of his novellas (His hardcover version is huge for some reason) Supposedly getting a movie treatment by dumbass Eli Roth which brings tears to my brains. But think of it as Kings zombies.

I could do a whole section on King alone due to my having read most of his books. And he has a fuck of a lot of them. Also The Mist, much better than the movie, though that was good too minus the shitty ending.

Coraline, or The Graveyard Book, are both good reads for tweens all the way up to adults, Coraline especially is kind of creepy, don`t underestimate it due to it`s kid targeting. Some stuff meant just for kids is the freakin best.

I Am Legend, By Richard Matheson. My favorite of his stories. One of the best end of the world with vampire stories ever written. Also there are two movie versions worth a good watch, one being the original With Godlike Vincent Price, and the other being Omega Man with the classic dick Charleton Heston. Both good and both very different.

Phantoms, By Dean Koontz. Better than the movie by far partially due to a comfortable lack of Ben Affleck. That guy can`t act. It spends more time describing the entity than the movie even tried to do, and since that's the creepy premise it's kind of important.

Now You go.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
07-10-2011, 08:24 AM
I love Halloween and horror! That fact alone is a huge relief to me because when I let go of my supernatural beliefs, I was actually quite worried that I wouldn't enjoy horror and scary stuff anymore, but I do!

I enjoyed both Bag of Bones and Insomnia from Stephen King. Bag of Bones is more creepy atmospheric ghost story horror, but Insomnia is freakin huge and turns away from some of the scary stuff, so not really good for a quick read. Also, Insomnia is one of those that takes you a while to get into, I had to start it 3 different times, but it's totally worth it. Also IT, of course, which you mentioned.

I'm also a big fan of Ray Bradbury's short stories, especially his horror stuff. Really fun to read around this time of year. I have a hard time with his novels though. Come to think of it, short stories are more a favorite of mine for Halloween, it's like you get all these small jolts of horror in as quick as you can. I gobble up horror like it's candy, haha. SK's short collections are a lot of fun - Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Everything's Eventual, etc.

I love this All Hallow's Read idea, I haven't heard of it. Though it's not surprising that it comes from Gaiman, he's so cool. Unfortunately we're in the middle of a move/temp house/selling our home, so a lot of my stuff is packed up in storage. I tend to watch more horror flicks this time of year anyway.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing this concept, I'll have to see if I can participate.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Awesome, I hope the idea is spread around. Honestly the rate of functional literacy is going down which may also be related to the surprising rise in theists. So when you think about it supporting All Hallows Read is supporting atheism and literacy the world over.
Plus books is fun haw haw!

07-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm always looking for new authors to try. I'm thinking about trying Owen Hill on for size. If anyone has suggestions...
For scary stories I usually turn to:
Stephen King (who doesn't?)
Joyce Carol Oates
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Alice Hoffman
Edgar Allen Poe
Dean Koontz (i especially loved Intesity)
Sarah Waters (New for me!The Little Stranger was fantastic)
Cormac McCarthy

Heart Be good for goodness sake!
07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
All great authors! One of my favorites is Koontz simply because his stories read very quickly for me and they are almost all good! I consider myself a little above average for reading speed and overall comprehension but even I can burn through a Koontz book in around for or five hours it's nice especially when bored. He has some excellent darker tales to tell too so good choice for Halloween.
Anyone read his Frankenstein series? I have yet to do so but I hear they aren't bad.

20-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Hey bitches,

It's getting to be that time of the year again. Go get some scary shit to give out to those you love. Fuck them up and make them turn all the lights on at night when it's weak bladder potty time. I do that now, but only because there was this huge spider that creeped up on me about a week ago and I haven't seen him since.

For those pansies who have a hard time investing any real energy into finishing a story longer than 20 pages, look for short story collections, it might actually drive them to read the whole thing and crave more. My boy Stephen King has a very large collection of them and almost all of the stories within are pretty good.

If it's for children, depending on age and awesomeness, check out some Gaiman, he's got Coraline and wolves in the Walls as well as The graveyard Book. If the kids can't read then do your due diligence and read to them. Every fucking night.

If the people you are buying from are too high tech for the sex appeal of genuine dead tree in their hands, there are E-Books out there and some are free. Frankenstein and Dracula, fucking free.

Make it happen champions of reading. Make it happen.

20-09-2012, 10:33 AM
(01-10-2011 05:05 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Judging by the reaction my Halloween thread has gotten my guess is that the majority of people on the forum have little or no interest in Halloween, and because of that I would also assume that not many of the forum members have heard of All Hallow's Read, which is a shame especially for such learned individuals as yourselves.

I'll put it out there anyways.

All Hallow's Read started out as a blog idea by one of my favorite writers Nail Gaiman, the idea was to give a scary book to someone for Halloween. Thereby spreading literacy around and also celebrating the greatest holiday the world has ever invented. Or ever will I might add.

I have done this for the majority of my life anyways, but am glad to see it gaining some momentum due to the suggestion of a fairly influential writer.

A link to the site that has sprung up... http://www.allhallowsread.com/

Also I think we could use this thread as a place to name some seriously spooky reads. I'll start with the famous IT, by the man Stephen King. This book unlike the made for tv movie scared me shitless as a kid. And I hope that someday I can read it to my kid to the same effect.

I live in Salem Ma. I am Halloweend outDrinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-09-2012, 10:35 AM
But you said last year, that was the only time you were going to bump this thread. No

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-09-2012, 11:00 AM
(20-09-2012 10:33 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I live in Salem Ma. I am Halloweend outDrinking Beverage

Is it only me, or do others think that Salem's capitalizing on such a dark and shameful past is obscene?Censored

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post