All Hallows Eve

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2011, 12:20 PM
All Hallows Eve
So I am in love with Halloween. Seriously it's the greatest. It's also my daughters birthday, which my whole family thought was pretty funny considering my love for the holiday.

Halloween has several names throughout history: Samhain (sah win), All Hallows Eve, The Devils Night etc. Anyways there's a nice place to see some of it's history right here. That way I don't have to write too much.

I just thought that this thread could be used to share stories and pictures of our favorite Halloween memories, as well as maybe share some traditions, or even discuss our favorite Halloween themed entertainment.

I'll start. First a memory, taken from all the way back to the year 2010. My daughters first real trick or treat. It was the cutest and saddest thing of all time. She walked up with her mommy and auntie and actually said trick or treat most of the time (while daddy waited at the foot of the driveway making sure the high schoolers waited their turn) sometimes she just said "Candy peas" which usually got her a higher yield. She was a Lion, it was adorable, but part of me can't wait until she's older and more into the horror aspect of Halloween just to see what she comes up with.

Now a picture.[Image: 82.jpg]

And to finish for the moment I will recommend one of the greatest Halloween movies of all time Trick or Treat. It's fabulous.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2011, 12:16 PM
RE: All Hallows Eve
I am sad because it appears as though no one else on the forum has a love for Halloween such as I. But I shall persevere.

I must add to the list of movies as that is my forte.

For the whole family:
-Monster House
-Monsters Inc.
-Halloween Town Series
-It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
-Nightmare Before Christmas
-Corpse Bride
-Monster Squad
-Frightners
-Hocus Pocus
-Ernest Scared Stupid
-Casper
-The Addams Family 1&2
-Beetlejuice

For just the bigger kids or even some smaller ones with wild imaginations:
-The Witches Of Eastwick
-The Witches
-The Craft
-Ginger Snaps
-Halloween 1&2
-Nightmare On Elm Street
-Trick R' Treat
-Scream
-Evil Dead 1&2&Army
-Re-Animator
-Dead Alive(Brain Dead)
-Night Of The Living Dead or Dawn
-Fright Night (even the recent remake is ok)

Really any horror movie fits, minus the ones about Christmas, like Black Christmas or the one coming out called Sint, about an evil santa who kills kids. But even though my current list does not reflect this I personally prefer the ones that feature Halloween or fall like atmosphere. This is decidedly simpler when one is looking for family friendly features. Which I find disappointing, but I understand that most grown ups lose the wonder and imagination required for the Halloween spirit.

I will post more later. Also we have pictures already of my little girls costume for this years halloween. She is to be a pirate, because she has not stopped saying "arr matey, and walk der plank ye scurvy dawg" for the past six months. I ill post one of those maybe before Halloween. Maybe.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
19-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Not a big fan of horror movies but Monsters Inc is one of my favorite films of all time!!!! My favorite memory when I was a kid trick or treating was being dressed up as a ninja. I had a sword and everything! I was so stoked! My other favorite memories are working in haunted houses. I worked in one when I was in the 5th grade. My school had just moved to a new building, so they decided to set up a haunted house in the old building to raise some money for playground equipment. It was awesome! And I am also not a huge fan of haunted houses, but working in them is awesome. The classrooms were connected so that the groups would move through a series of classrooms and then through the hall and into the library and out another classroom for the chainsaw finale. The classrooms had various themes and the library was made into a haunted forest. The room I worked in had scarecrows on the wall, and I would pretend to be hanging there and wait for the groups to walk past me before jumping down and scaring them.

My second haunted house work experience had to wait until sophomore year of college. This was a much more elaborate set-up. The haunted house was in a barn and upon completion of it the guests were scared out of the last room into a pitch black maze. I worked in there one night scaring people, that was okay. My favorite was working in the field. After people got out of the maze they could take a haunted hay ride through a field. At various locations people would jump out and scare people. The last leg of the trip was were I would stay, and of course there was another chain saw. I worked the chainsaw for a bit...until I totally biffed it trying to jump up onto the trailer. It is not very scary when the chainsaw guy is cussing and holding his shin. After that I would just crawl onto the trailer and scare people. Some people would be so scared they would crawl underneath the legs of other people. One chick in particular is burned into my memory. She was sitting beside a male companion, emphasis on was. She had gotten up after someone came up behind her, so I sat down in her spot, in between another female and her male companion. Without looking she decided to jump back into her seat and sat instead on my lap, she assumed she had sat on her male companion's lap and she slowly looked to her right, and seeing him looked behind her to see...me. She screamed, jumped and fell to the floor. I almost pissed myself trying not to laugh!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
06-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I've always wanted to do a big haunted house event so I am jealous of you bearded dude.

I am so insane I have a theme park completely designed from the top to bottom that I will not share all of the details of in case someone here is flipping rich and steals it.
While watching saved by the bell one day back when I was but a lad the idea struck me and I have built upon it ever since.

I also would love to do a parade for the kids, because that's who Halloween should be for.

07-10-2011, 09:40 AM
I really have to get out to a haunted house this year - went to one a couple of years ago that wasn't very good and totally missed last year (it happens with kids). It cracks me up how many haunted attractions we have around here being right smack in the middle of the southern US, and so much of the setups are so bloody and gory and at times, Satanic.

Of course, you can always find you a good Hell House to go to, in which churches literally try to scare you into believing their crap. Rolleyes

I'll try and share some Halloween memories soon. ludacris, you are not alone in your love!

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I've never seen a Hell House before and would really love to, but not for the reasons I'm sure they exist.

I'm glad that someone else out there enjoys a good Halloween. I was worried that there was no one else here other than me. For me the best part is pretending just for one day that there are other monsters in the world other than us. The supernatural is a fine thing so long as we remember it is only pretend.

07-10-2011, 12:01 PM
I happened into a hell house a few years ago by mistake. I went with a group of friends that thought it was a normal haunted house - I really didn't look into the venue. It was horrible. Really disturbing stuff! So they take you through a series of rooms showing horrific consequences of the sins and then through a room dipicted of hell with people screaming and rything in pain and then the final room that is all done up like heaven.. I thought the worst room was a hospital room with a guy acting very feminine dying of aids. UGH.. And of course as you come out there are people with bibles trying to save you. I was not a happy lady to say the very least.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
07-10-2011, 12:06 PM
(07-10-2011 12:01 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I happened into a hell house a few years ago by mistake. I went with a group of friends that thought it was a normal haunted house - I really didn't look into the venue. It was horrible. Really disturbing stuff! So they take you through a series of rooms showing horrific consequences of the sins and then through a room dipicted of hell with people screaming and rything in pain and then the final room that is all done up like heaven.. I thought the worst room was a hospital room with a guy acting very feminine dying of aids. UGH.. And of course as you come out there are people with bibles trying to save you. I was not a happy lady to say the very least.

You should have complimented them on their tour of fantasyland and asked where they got such great mythical stories from.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
07-10-2011, 12:30 PM
That's pretty good. I would be very tempted to go as zombie Jesus searching for brains , it has the added benefit of insult as you approach the people hosting the hell house screaming for brains and turn away with a look of dissatisfaction.
You could bring a troupe with you and have them dress as your zombie apostles.

07-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Ludacris,
great listing of horror movies!
My favorites are not all traditional, but they scare me anyway.

Silence of the Lambs
Cape Fear (both versions)
30 Days Later
Scream
Night of the Living Dead (original)
Friday the 13th (original)
Halloween(original and Rob Zombies)
The Devil's Rejects
The Devil's Backbone
The Legend of Hell House (original)
Dolores Claiborne
Blair Witch Project
Let Me In (Swedish original was best; American OK)

Heart Be good for goodness sake!