All Hallows' Evening

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 08:56 AM
All Hallows' Evening
What are you doing for it? :3

Personally for me this entire stretch of season from the middle of October to the beginning of January is one big food and drink party; beer festivals, food festivals, harvest festivals, craft markets and reenactment markets, etc.

For halloween specifically though this year I'm going to be dressing up as a viking and going to a local food and beer festivals, then in the evening running a small grotto using traditional pre-yankee decor and some interesting sweet foods. Then around midnight when the beggars all go home me and some of my siblings will engage in the 4th year of the Anual Pumpkin Massacre (I also make them into lanterns beforehand because I suck at carving the traditional turnips :L ), which hopefully this year will involve a spear to go along with the usual swords.

Any of you got any interesting plans for the day? :L

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2014, 08:59 AM
RE: All Hallows' Evening
It will once again be the time to decorate the house into a place that all the kids what to come to. Soon I will be dragging out all the Halloween goodies and buying lots of candy (the good kind) and getting ready for an evening that I love and the dogs hate.

[img][Image: graveyard_zpsb6454465.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
13-10-2014, 09:20 AM
The decorations have started going up around our house. My sister mailed each of the kids a $25 gift card to buy a costume of their choice. Daughter 1 will be a zombie prom queen (she loves the gore of Halloween) daughter 2 chose a vampire? Something with a black flowing dress and stand up collar (she loves the dress up, role playing part)

In previous years we would invite friends over, the Dads would walk the kids around for trick or treat, the moms would dress up and hang out on our big porch checking out all the neighborhood kids, drinking wine. I used to dress up as Snow White. Not sure what to do this year. In a new neighborhood that has some cool stuff going on, a few people turn their garages and homes into haunted houses. Another puts on a whole show with lights, microphones Ohmy I don't want to miss the fun by passing out candy, lol.

Bought a fog machine this year too, hoping to have fog pour down our steps.

Here's last years photo
[Image: imagejpg2_zpsc3860084.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
13-10-2014, 10:21 AM
I'll be in camp.
But here's an idea for you.
Get an old pair of coveralls a brim sack gloves some rope some hay and an old pair of boots. Dress up like a scarecrow(you know like wear the brim sack on your head and tie rope around your neck, ankles and wrists with hay sticking out) and sit out on your front step.
Wait for the kids to come and enjoy.
Mix it up. Sometimes you could jump up and scream and other times you could move slightly in the corner of their eyes. Trust me it's worth it..
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
13-10-2014, 10:25 AM
a former neighbor across the street would go all out, which is why us moms would hang on my porch to watch the fun across the street. He would do all sorts of decorations. One year he built coffins and he and his friends would jump out of them, another year he chased people with chainsaws (chain removed). I miss that family when Halloween rolls around.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
13-10-2014, 10:33 AM
I live waaaay out in the sticks. In the past 38 years, not one person has ever knocked on my door for Halloween. I do look forward to buying hubby's candy at a reduced rate on Nov. 1. And as to decorations, the Christmas stuff has been out in the stores around here since Sept. 18.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
13-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Not much happens anymore...

When I was a kid, my school mates would come trick or treating, but they're all grown up now... And the new generation of kids don't seem to do it.

Me mum's sort of pagan-ish, so she likes all that sort of stuff... So we'll probably hollow out some pumpkins.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
13-10-2014, 06:22 PM
We usually hang with what ever neighbor is out and let the kids go. This year we will be at the HS football game.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
13-10-2014, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 06:53 PM by Anjele.)
The past few years several neighbors really went all out for Halloween. It made our end of the block pretty cool and pretty busy. Lots of decorations, fog machines, creepy music, people jumping out of bushes and chairs. A lot of fun for the kids that come around.

Five years ago I was five days out from my mastectomies and miserable but decided I wasn't going to miss the festivities. I loaded up on pain meds, got in costume, and sat on a tall chair at the front of our patio. I sat very still and when the kids came up past the shrubs I pointed the way to the door with a bouquet of black roses. Several of them jumped when I moved. Can't wait for this year!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Lots of good ideas here, especially like the idea of pretending to be a statue. I tried it myself once but my only costume is Viking (which I have a good outfit for for historical reenactment), and unfortunately it didn't make for a very convincing statue even with a mask on :U

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.