All I do is talk about atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2014, 04:24 PM
All I do is talk about atheism
The truth is I like it, I have more knowledge about religion than anyone I know, I used to love studying about christianism when I was a believer and I talked passionate about it. Now as an atheist I am their perfect enemy and I talk as passionate about it as I used to talk about religion.

The sad part is that many people seem to think I am mad, that I can't get over it and that's why I don't stop talking about how believers are being lied to and all that stuff.

This is the kind of person I am about anything I like, when I was into music all I talked about was music because I knew a lot about the subject, I've talked about science, comic books and whatever I've liked with passion in the past. Right know I'm happy about being an atheist and about being free after years and years of mental oppression, but people don't seem to understand, I have a handful of friends now, and I was a very popular guy back in the day, I was the guy to talk to when they had any questions about their faith.

This is something that does not get me sad, I mean, I do not live deppressed or anything like that, but it does come to my mind at times and it frustrates me a lot. That for realising the truth I have to be the oddman out :/
Instead of thinking that for a hardcore believer like me to turn, there must have been pretty good reasons.

All I had back in the day was god, and I talked about it all the time. Nowdays all I have is my atheism and I love talking about it. I kind of feel the need to tell people to not let themselves be fooled, as I once felt the need to teach people about god :/

Just wanted to get that out of my chest even If I'm not making much sense.

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2014, 05:25 PM
RE: All I do is talk about atheism
There might be two factors at play here.

One:
There is a crazy phase that many go through when they are reading, watching, listening to anything and everything relating to atheism / science / religions / philosophy etc.
It's like an adrenaline surge and it calms down after a while (storming to norming).

Two:
You, yourself might have a healthy or unhealthy obsessive-compulsive nature which can be overwhelming for those around you who are not on the same wavelength.
But it's all good if the passion is appropriate.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Passions are positive. Not negative. Use it.

Start a podcast or a blog.

I'd listen to the All I think about is atheism podcast. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-04-2014, 06:26 PM
When I first became an atheist, I couldn't stop talking about it. I was really passionate. Problem was that I'd sometimes talk about it with people who didn't see eye to eye. While it makes for healthy discussion, if done right, often is the case where they feel animosity towards you and prejudice. It's hard to reach common ground on topics like this especially when the conversationalists see from opposite ends of the spectrum.

Try finding friends who are either deist, agnostic, or atheist, or even just some generally open minded people who you know like you for you, your virtues and not how devout you are. Make sure when discussing, that the person at hand will not harbor any negative feelings towards you because of your non-beliefs. Sometimes its hard to control this, but it's a great way to know who your true friends are. Often, you can see a noticeable change in certain people's behavior. The most common one is sudden excessive proselytizing, and is something that most freethinkers in general don't want to be the subject of.

Obviously you've got a lot of thoughts built up inside you and sooner or later you're going to need to express them. Do it positively, and your passion shall remain strong!

Some ways to do this are
  • Documenting your gradual de-conversion and questioning process
  • Talking with people who can relate and appreciate the truth of which you are speaking
  • Writing about how this has changed who you are for the better, and why being religious took its toll on you.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
15-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I see some parallels, over time I learnt to baby step arguments.
Give the impression you are a deist until you get them to that level, then push the Atheism.
A passion for exposing the emperors no clothes is a good thing, just don't push too hard too early.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-04-2014, 06:47 PM
It's new and exciting for you so it's not that unusual to want to share.

You will level out over time most likely.

And...

[Image: welcome.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-04-2014, 06:58 PM
One of the best pieces of advice I've ever learned......[its] a part of your life-not your whole life

Atheism is a part of your life-not your whole life.

we all have different facets about us...different interests, relationships, ideas, talents, likes/dislikes, sometimes one interest over powers the others. When it becomes a problem for you, you need to find a way to either channel in a positive way or find a way to calm/filter it before it leaves your mouth.

I remember teaching my daughters when they were about 6 years old "you don't need to say out loud every thought that comes to mind. Sometimes it helps to filter what we say " Of course I was trying to get them to stop pointing out the obese person in front of us at the store and saying "mom-that lady in front of us is REALLY, REALLY FAT! She's as big as an elephant!" Maybe you need to dial back what you are speaking and just let the thought pass by.

Maybe think about other "parts" of you and make a concerted effort to speak more on those topics and squelch the atheism talk. It helps to ask others questions about their interests - you never know where the topic will go then.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Well I'm glad you came here to talk about it Shy
Welcome Smile

19-04-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't see my fascination for atheism going away anytime soon so I've actually thought about doing something with it, you know, to spread the message Smile I haven't decided yet what it 'll be but I know I'm starting this next June when my first child will arrive. I've decided that is the last day I have to keep making excuses for not doing anything and keep procrastinating. I want to go on YouTube someday, or write aa book, perhaps some. Stand up comedy. There areis many angles toto atheism so I planwant to startthe writing soon and see what comes up...

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
19-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi NetNinja! Well, it's a good thing you've found this place... it might help you focus your passions in many a positive direction.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein