All In the Family (post your general family thoughts)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2013, 05:02 AM
All In the Family (post your general family thoughts)
I thought there a need for a general family thread. A place to share each others family events. Positive events, feelings, etc.
I'll start off.
So, My Daughter is off to college today. First of our children. She has been raised a free thinker. Never made to attend church, she went a few times with friends. She has a bit of a cynical mind about things. (other than her boyfriend) She will become a nurse, at least that is her plan. I am caught between envy and pride. To be 18 again, and have the whole world at your command.

Today will be another proud moment. My father, having no father to kick his ass, quit school around 8th grade. He was an amazing man, hard working, could do anything with his hands. He was very intelligent but not continuing in school was a bit of shame for him, though he never hid the fact from us. It was known that we were going to school.

My brother and I both graduated. My brother to college, and me a trade school. Looking back, These four events must have been colossal moments for our Father. Sure wish I had made more time for him when he was alive.

Today, he lives in my thoughts. Today, his grand daughter and nephew will be starting college where my brother graduated. My niece started there last year. All three of them, the dreams of our father, fulfilled. The thought of his pride in this moment is overpowering.

Thanks for listening to my vent/gloatfest

T.H.

anyone else out there have kids off to college today?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like T.H.'s post
30-08-2013, 05:23 AM
RE: All In the Family (post your general family thoughts)
Congrats on that man, sounds like you've done well in raising your kids. I hope she does well, and I personally wish her the best. Your dad would be proud.

Only thing I can contribute is that my 2 month old daughter is now starting to roll over, smiles at me constantly, was a trooper in getting her first immunizations and the pediatrician absolutely loved her and said she's doing very well. I'm already a proud papa, and I've only just begun.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 3 users Like Anudist's post
30-08-2013, 03:02 PM
You might enjoy this podcast. I love tested, and the dad podcasts bring back memories.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPsUBmgBXX4
30-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Oldest will graduate with an Associates in December, then go off to a school for tattoo artists so she can get a license and get on to the profession she wants to pursue.

My younger one is a rising junior in a piss pot, shit hole of a failing public school system more concerned with discipline than education. The good news is, there is a vocational school that offers a great cosmetology program that is she enrolled in.

My mom may be the cyclical low point of my extended family's recent history. Great grandparents and grand parents were child touching, religious, upper middle class. Mom was a single mom living in a rented trailer, raising three terrible boys and showing us too much love. Is on her 4th husband and may be going crazy. Dad was/is a non-contributing prick.

I got married at 21, still married 21 years later. Got sober a few years ago, got an Associates degree 7 years ago and a second one 3 years ago. My wife is pursuing her Bachelor's now.

Future prospects look really good for me and mine. I am beamingly proud of our
accomplishments and that we seem to have ended the downward cycle of poverty and unstable lifestyles.

I'm not wishing my girls' years away, but I cannot wait to see what kind of grandchildren they bring me. I have a hunch the third generation in is going to be a game changer!
[+] 3 users Like Regular_Joe's post
30-08-2013, 05:51 PM
(30-08-2013 05:23 AM)Anudist Wrote:  Congrats on that man, sounds like you've done well in raising your kids. I hope she does well, and I personally wish her the best. Your dad would be proud.

Only thing I can contribute is that my 2 month old daughter is now starting to roll over, smiles at me constantly, was a trooper in getting her first immunizations and the pediatrician absolutely loved her and said she's doing very well. I'm already a proud papa, and I've only just begun.

Well I'm jealous, I have a 3 mth old who isn't close to rolling over yet (he hates tummy time). But if I can get him to keep his hands on the edge of the coffee table he'll stand on his own. I suppose he'll probably be walking before he's able to roll over and get up on his own! Big Grin

Is it your first? I also have a three year old who, despite generally being a very sweet kid, is testing his boundaries like you wouldn't believe.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
(30-08-2013 05:51 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well I'm jealous, I have a 3 mth old who isn't close to rolling over yet (he hates tummy time). But if I can get him to keep his hands on the edge of the coffee table he'll stand on his own. I suppose he'll probably be walking before he's able to roll over and get up on his own! Big Grin

Is it your first? I also have a three year old who, despite generally being a very sweet kid, is testing his boundaries like you wouldn't believe.

Wow, that's cool. Mine will stand there if we support her under her arms, she has the leg strength but not the balance. It definitely sounds like he's on that track, for sure. Haha.

Yeah, she's our first, more and more I'm thinking last as well. I don't know if I can go through all of this again. I'm definitely not looking forward to my daughter putting me through what your 3 year old is going through. What has he been doing? If you don't mind me asking...

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
01-09-2013, 09:33 PM
(01-09-2013 07:21 PM)Anudist Wrote:  I'm definitely not looking forward to my daughter putting me through what your 3 year old is going through. What has he been doing? If you don't mind me asking...

Oh lord, to answer that would take a whole thread. Tongue
He's just three. He's old enough to have wants and opinions and developed enough to assert them. However he's three, so he doesn't have the maturity to do so in a manner that doesn't drive us up a wall. It's quite a challenge at times, but honestly he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. He's so smart, and picks up on things things that I wouldn't have thought he could (cuss words included, be careful).

He's inherited my stubbornness, which makes for some interesting standoffs. Honestly it's the greatest blessing/burden I've ever had, but I wouldn't trade a second of it for anything.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-09-2013, 09:37 PM
This thread is killing me!

01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
(01-09-2013 09:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  This thread is killing me!

Hey playa. You are officially invited to not join in this thread if you can't handle the insanity that family life entails. Cool

~ Umberto Eco
02-09-2013, 01:43 AM
(01-09-2013 09:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Oh lord, to answer that would take a whole thread. Tongue
He's just three. He's old enough to have wants and opinions and developed enough to assert them. However he's three, so he doesn't have the maturity to do so in a manner that doesn't drive us up a wall. It's quite a challenge at times, but honestly he's the best thing that's ever happened to me. He's so smart, and picks up on things things that I wouldn't have thought he could (cuss words included, be careful).

He's inherited my stubbornness, which makes for some interesting standoffs. Honestly it's the greatest blessing/burden I've ever had, but I wouldn't trade a second of it for anything.

Haha. That is pretty much what I've heard from my friends with toddlers. I hear you though. Good luck with the little man!

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody