All Politics are Primal
This Machine Can Tell Whether You're Liberal or Conservative

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-04-2014, 05:11 AM
RE: All Politics are Primal
Without even reading the article yet, her facial expression is disconcerting. (did I use that word right? disconcerting? fuck it, I'm rolling with it.)

I didn't read the article because I have the attention span of a 5 year old but I'm pretty suspicious about political views being wired in us. I would think the driving force behind one person is conservative or one person is liberal has a lot to do with environment.
ie: If you're raised strongly Catholic, than you're going to be more conservative.
06-04-2014, 05:19 AM
(06-04-2014 05:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Without even reading the article yet, her facial expression is disconcerting. (did I use that word right? disconcerting? fuck it, I'm rolling with it.)

I didn't read the article because I have the attention span of a 5 year old but I'm pretty suspicious about political views being wired in us. I would think the driving force behind one person is conservative or one person is liberal has a lot to do with environment.
ie: If you're raised strongly Catholic, than you're going to be more conservative.

I'd be suspicious too. That's why I actually bothered to read the article. ... fuckin' earmuffs.

#sigh
06-04-2014, 05:47 AM
(06-04-2014 05:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 05:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Without even reading the article yet, her facial expression is disconcerting. (did I use that word right? disconcerting? fuck it, I'm rolling with it.)

I'd be suspicious too. That's why I actually bothered to read the article. ... fuckin' earmuffs.

Suspicion and curiosity are two different things oh young grasshopper.
06-04-2014, 05:55 AM
(06-04-2014 05:47 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 05:19 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'd be suspicious too. That's why I actually bothered to read the article. ... fuckin' earmuffs.

Suspicion and curiosity are two different things oh young grasshopper.

fuckin' earmuffs.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-04-2014, 06:06 AM
Drinking Beverage
06-04-2014, 11:44 AM
(06-04-2014 05:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ... I would think the driving force behind one person is conservative or one person is liberal has a lot to do with environment ...

That's a legitimate starting premise. But that's all it is. It's only proven true (or likely to be true) via scientific inquiry.

But the science so far indicates it isn't true. Political outlook is very strongly driven by intrinsic neurological architecture, and why wouldn't it be? Everything we are and do is a product of our neurological architecture.

Science has demonstrated of course that environment influences and shapes some of our neurological architecture, but a great deal of it is intrinsic, and HOW environment affects it is determined by how it responds intrinsically.

To me the greater surprise would have been a finding that politics is mostly shaped by environment. Such a finding would contradict what we observe every day: that different people inhabiting the same environments have not merely different outlooks, but opposing outlooks. Divergence of that degree indicates something stronger than just the environment at work.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
06-04-2014, 12:38 PM
(06-04-2014 11:44 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 05:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ... I would think the driving force behind one person is conservative or one person is liberal has a lot to do with environment ...

That's a legitimate starting premise. But that's all it is. It's only proven true (or likely to be true) via scientific inquiry.

But the science so far indicates it isn't true. Political outlook is very strongly driven by intrinsic neurological architecture, and why wouldn't it be? Everything we are and do is a product of our neurological architecture.

Science has demonstrated of course that environment influences and shapes some of our neurological architecture, but a great deal of it is intrinsic, and HOW environment affects it is determined by how it responds intrinsically.

To me the greater surprise would have been a finding that politics is mostly shaped by environment. Such a finding would contradict what we observe every day: that different people inhabiting the same environments have not merely different outlooks, but opposing outlooks. Divergence of that degree indicates something stronger than just the environment at work.

I have to agree. I was raised (for the most part) by conservative Christian fundamentals, and I'm the exact opposite...

Atir aissom atir imon
06-04-2014, 01:06 PM
(06-04-2014 11:44 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  

Im_Ryan beat me to it. I'm one of four brothers and I sometimes think my parents are lying about it since we are sooooooo different! Politically, religious beliefs etc.
I think it is by nature and not nurture as Airport Kid points out.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post