All-Purpose Cool Stuff Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2016, 08:52 AM
RE: All-Purpose Cool Stuff Thread
(09-04-2016 05:44 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 05:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  How silk is made.

Is this thread just for posting or are we allowed to convo about what we see here?

I had no idea they killed the worms inside the cocoon. I thought they just waited until they hatched to get the silk. Sad

Nope, they boil them to death. But what's amazing to me is that someone several thousand years ago in China looked at a cocoon and it's teeny tiny delicate silk thread and figured out how to unfurl it from the cocoon without breaking it and then spin it into a piece of material. Wow.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-04-2016, 09:21 AM
(10-04-2016 08:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 05:44 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Is this thread just for posting or are we allowed to convo about what we see here?

I had no idea they killed the worms inside the cocoon. I thought they just waited until they hatched to get the silk. Sad

Nope, they boil them to death. But what's amazing to me is that someone several thousand years ago in China looked at a cocoon and it's teeny tiny delicate silk thread and figured out how to unfurl it from the cocoon without breaking it and then spin it into a piece of material. Wow.

Yep, that's the cool stuff that happens when you don't have FB. Tongue

Still, I wish they could do it without killing them. I wonder if something happens to the silk if you let them be reborn. Guess the birthing might tear it up or something.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
10-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Amazing heavy metal cover of Shostakovitch's Symphony No. 5:

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
10-04-2016, 03:00 PM

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
16-04-2016, 01:57 PM

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
16-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Had a small restaurant here in the Dominican Republic. We promote a lot of volunteerism. I had three different people come by to show us how to make a solar stove. One couple from Oregon claimed they "always use it when we go camping" They took a cardboard box and lined it with aluminum foil and angled the box flaps just so and declared it usable, but it wouldn't heat water enuff to be uncomfortable, sure couldn't have roasted a potato or done a beef roast in it. The second was a young man from Atlanta who claimed he and his dad had "been using then for years." His was built about the same, but didn't do shit either. Then there was a pair of lesbians, a couple who called themselves B & B. They were getting close to retirement age and had been together in a monogamous relationship since freshman year of college they said. I don't remember if their names were Betty and Becky or Brenda and Barb or Beverly and Bernadine. But theirs looked the same as the two earlier attempts, but got a bit hotter. It took 7 hours to make 2 small potatoes half baked. 3 more minutes in the microwave was all it took to make them edible. Over the years I have seen and heard of so much of the primitive technology, and it would be great if some of it actually was valid.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
17-04-2016, 10:43 PM

What the fuck?

02-05-2016, 01:37 PM

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
(02-05-2016 01:37 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

I want one. Now.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-05-2016, 02:00 PM
(02-05-2016 01:48 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 01:37 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

I want one. Now.

I'm hoping it becomes a sport, or at least a hobby like hang gliding. Also if they can make it much quieter, that'd be pretty amazing, but I have no idea how any of that works.