All Things Punny and Wordy Play!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-05-2016, 08:54 AM
All Things Punny and Wordy Play!
I know, puns are usually spontaneous and delightful but sometimes they get into a serious thread and Sad .... so I thought it might be fun to have a:

Pun & Play - Word Thread.

Music is an easy one to start off with.

I love my very musical boyfriend but damn, he just harps at me too much! Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2016, 08:57 AM
RE: All Things Punny and Wordy Play!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-05-2016, 09:03 AM
I love punning, but I think one reason they're special is that they can and do pop into a serious conversation and introduce what is often much-needed levity.

(28-05-2016 08:54 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Music is an easy one to start off with.

She who starts the thread gets to call the tune.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-05-2016, 09:04 AM
(28-05-2016 08:54 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I know, puns are usually spontaneous and delightful but sometimes they get into a serious thread and Sad

I do not accept that there is any subject so serious that finding some humor around it is inappropriate. It can defuse the emotions and allow people to take a step back and take another look at their convictions. Life is much too short not to see both the seriousness and the ridiculousness of everything.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post
28-05-2016, 09:09 AM
I saw a stage performance about puns once.

It was a play on words.
[+] 17 users Like I Am's post
28-05-2016, 09:13 AM
(28-05-2016 09:03 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I love punning, but I think one reason they're special is that they can and do pop into a serious conversation and introduce what is often much-needed levity.

(28-05-2016 08:54 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Music is an easy one to start off with.

She who starts the thread gets to call the tune.

Yes, I agree. I'm nearly always up for some levity except when I know it might hurt someone's feelings about a touchy subject.

Note, that I stated "nearly" because as you saw, sometimes they just play out naturally.

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
28-05-2016, 09:15 AM
(28-05-2016 09:04 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 08:54 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I know, puns are usually spontaneous and delightful but sometimes they get into a serious thread and Sad

I do not accept that there is any subject so serious that finding some humor around it is inappropriate. It can defuse the emotions and allow people to take a step back and take another look at their convictions. Life is much too short not to see both the seriousness and the ridiculousness of everything.

I disagree but hey, each person waltzes to their own music.

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
28-05-2016, 09:22 AM
He said "Oh man, I'm seriously fucked", but I replied, "Nah, it's no big dildo."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-05-2016, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 10:37 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
I already posted this in the "Groan-worthy jokes" thread, but it belongs here too, I s'pose --

Once there were two seafloor buddies, Larry the Lobster and Sam Clam. They were bff, doing everything together, inseparable, until one day there was an underwater landslide which covered the seabed and killed them both.

Now, Larry was a devout little lobster, worshipping in his own arachnid way, but Sam, well, he'd always had more than a smidgen of doubt, so when they died, they rode different escalators: Larry's going up, and Sam's, well, it was downhill all the way.

So Larry's in Heaven, he's got his standard issue harp, his wings and his halo, but he's just not himself -- mopey and pining for his best bud Sam Clam. One day Saint Peter notices this and asks, "Say, Larry, aren't you happy? This is Heaven! What can your problem be?"

"Well, St. Pete, I miss my buddy Sam, and no offense, but it's just not like Heaven when I miss him so."

The venerable saint scratches his beard and thinks for a moment, and then says, "I'll talk to the Old Man and see what we can do."

The next day, the Saint tells him, "Larry, I spoke to the Chief about this, and he agreed to you going down to visit Sam for a couple of hours."

Larry was ecstatic. "Oh, thank you, Sir! This is terrific!"

"Now, Larry, the way it will work is this: you will check your wings and halo at the Pearly Gates, but you will take your harp down there," and his face wrinkled at the thought of such an awful place. "You must be back by midnight, and not one minute late! Your harp will be your pass to get back in."

So Larry rushes off to the Gates, and checks in his gear, and grabs an elevator going down. Finally it comes to a stop, and he sees a demon waiting for him. "It's about time, we've been expecting you. Let me show you to Sam's Place."

Now, Sam Clam hadn't been idle in Hell; in fact, he'd been tearing things up with his joy for life. He'd started a dance club where cheap drinks and shitty dance music played, and though there was no air-conditioning in the joint, it was the hoppingnest place around.

As you can imagine, their reunion was a joyous affair, filled with many rounds of licentious debauchery, and some hot little seahorses dancing around, and reminiscing and just some good happy times, when suddenly Larry looked up at the clock, and realized it was 11:58. He panics. "I gotta go!" he shouts, and takes off for the nearest elevator, furiously pressing the Top Floor button until it glided to a stop and he steps out with seconds to spare. Stepping up to the gate, he nods at Gabriel, who had to pull graveyard duty that night, and asks for his wings and his halo.

"You're Larry?" asks Gabriel. "Where's your harp?"

Larry turned whiter than a flounder's belly, and slaps his head.

"Oh dear, I left my harp in Sam Clam's Disco!"
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-05-2016, 10:45 AM
(28-05-2016 08:54 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I know, puns are usually spontaneous and delightful but sometimes they get into a serious thread and Sad ....

Hehehe ^^"

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post