All kinds of Suck

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2016, 02:16 PM
RE: All kinds of Suck
(07-08-2016 05:34 AM)Leela Wrote:  I am sorry to hear that you have such a hard time right now.

One question though, once the infections are treated and gone, will she go back to normal too or is it an irreversible process?

No one can answer that.

Right now, she's actually more weak today than when she arrived a week ago, could be because of the antibiotic for one of her infections. Could be another underlying issue.

I don't know.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2016, 02:31 PM
(06-08-2016 08:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 08:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's the cost of 24/7 nursing care inside her home.

We can't afford that. Neither can she. An outside place is much more affordable. Also she might enjoy the company.

Holy cow! I thought that hiring a live-in care person would be a whole lot cheaper than that. Maybe PM nurse - she may have some good ideas, she knows the business.

The service we looked into charged a rate of $27 an hour x 24 hours

By the day it doesn't seem too bad....but that shit adds up quickly.

07-08-2016, 02:39 PM
(07-08-2016 02:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 08:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Holy cow! I thought that hiring a live-in care person would be a whole lot cheaper than that. Maybe PM nurse - she may have some good ideas, she knows the business.

Not a medical expert, but when we were having to pay for home health caregivers while trying to get my (now late) grandmother into a place, we were paying around $20 an hour, but that was about 5 years ago. So personal guess, though I'd make sure with some professional, the rate you got is probably about the average. Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
07-08-2016, 02:58 PM
(07-08-2016 02:39 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(07-08-2016 02:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The service we looked into charged a rate of $27 an hour x 24 hours

Not a medical expert, but when we were having to pay for home health caregivers while trying to get my (now late) grandmother into a place, we were paying around $20 an hour, but that was about 5 years ago. So personal guess, though I'd make sure with some professional, the rate you got is probably about the average. Sad

Which comes to over 14K in a 30 day period. It's not cheap...someone who is licensed...24/7...it's a lot.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-08-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm not understanding why the 24/7 provider has to be *licensed*. An aide makes barely above minimum wage.

Even if she needs IV antibiotics - I used to teach patients and families how to administer them at home, so that's something you and/or your husband can do and it's honestly not that time consuming. An aide could take care of her toileting/bathing/other activities of daily living (ADLs) while you continue to focus on your son. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of home health care that extend past infusion therapy - I just did teaching, wound care, and central line management when I worked home health - things that *required* a registered nurse to perform and could not be replaced with an LPN or CNA.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
07-08-2016, 03:49 PM
(07-08-2016 03:32 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm not understanding why the 24/7 provider has to be *licensed*. An aide makes barely above minimum wage.

Even if she needs IV antibiotics - I used to teach patients and families how to administer them at home, so that's something you and/or your husband can do and it's honestly not that time consuming. An aide could take care of her toileting/bathing/other activities of daily living (ADLs) while you continue to focus on your son. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of home health care that extend past infusion therapy - I just did teaching, wound care, and central line management when I worked home health - things that *required* a registered nurse to perform and could not be replaced with an LPN or CNA.

You have to factor in that even if a CNA would be allowed the agency is going to upcharge well above that person's hourly rate. They have to cover their administrative costs, transportation to the patient, any benefits paid to the CNA, liability insurance, etc.

Not unlike hiring an office temp. A temp who makes $20.00 an hour can easily be billed out at $30.00 plus an hour by the placement agency.

So, if you look at someone making $10.00 an hour a placement agency will upcharge that a fair amount.

Since they are in the position of being required to have 24/7 care they almost have to go through an agency. At least an agency can send a replacement if one doesn't show up or calls in sick or whatever. If you try to hire on your own you lose that safety net.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
07-08-2016, 04:51 PM
(07-08-2016 03:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-08-2016 03:32 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm not understanding why the 24/7 provider has to be *licensed*. An aide makes barely above minimum wage.

You have to factor in that even if a CNA would be allowed the agency is going to upcharge well above that person's hourly rate. They have to cover their administrative costs, transportation to the patient, any benefits paid to the CNA, liability insurance, etc.

Not unlike hiring an office temp. A temp who makes $20.00 an hour can easily be billed out at $30.00 plus an hour by the placement agency.

So, if you look at someone making $10.00 an hour a placement agency will upcharge that a fair amount.

Since they are in the position of being required to have 24/7 care they almost have to go through an agency. At least an agency can send a replacement if one doesn't show up or calls in sick or whatever. If you try to hire on your own you lose that safety net.

Did the 24/7 come up because she lives alone? In other words, if she didn't live alone, would the hospital just authorize a nurse to come by once a day?

When I took hubby home, he was in guarded condition. Guarded condition is serious. I had a nurse come daily for an hour, and as he improved every other day and so on.

This may well be where the issue/loophole lays. It doesn't mean you have to have a registered nurse 24/7. It means that someone has to be there 24/7.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-08-2016, 04:54 PM
(07-08-2016 02:31 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 08:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Holy cow! I thought that hiring a live-in care person would be a whole lot cheaper than that. Maybe PM nurse - she may have some good ideas, she knows the business.

How about the rent? Is this not considered?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-08-2016, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2016 05:23 PM by Anjele.)
(07-08-2016 04:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-08-2016 03:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You have to factor in that even if a CNA would be allowed the agency is going to upcharge well above that person's hourly rate. They have to cover their administrative costs, transportation to the patient, any benefits paid to the CNA, liability insurance, etc.

Did the 24/7 come up because she lives alone? In other words, if she didn't live alone, would the hospital just authorize a nurse to come by once a day?

When I took hubby home, he was in guarded condition. Guarded condition is serious. I had a nurse come daily for an hour, and as he improved every other day and so on.

This may well be where the issue/loophole lays. It doesn't mean you have to have a registered nurse 24/7. It means that someone has to be there 24/7.

From what moms has said it has to be someone licensed...she hasn't specified what licensure is required. It may well be someone trained and certified in home health care though not necessarily and LPN or RN, but that still doesn't come cheap.

Also, from what moms said earlier today her MIL is worse today.

She is declining pretty quickly.

If she just needed someone to be there 24/7 she could go home with moms again like she did after her surgery last year (I think). That's apparently not an option.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-08-2016, 05:01 PM
(07-08-2016 04:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-08-2016 03:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You have to factor in that even if a CNA would be allowed the agency is going to upcharge well above that person's hourly rate. They have to cover their administrative costs, transportation to the patient, any benefits paid to the CNA, liability insurance, etc.

We were more than willing to be there 24/7. They asked if we were trained in home health care, between hubby, me, the friend and 22 year old we could cover it. Not saying it wouldn't be a pain but we were willing and totally honest about it. I could help her shower/bathe...etc.

They said we would have to licensed care giver in the home. Convo about us doing anything basically ended at that point.