All my siblings are atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2014, 07:52 AM
All my siblings are atheist
Thinking I was the only one it turned out my 4 siblings are also. We just never talked about religion or the lack of. The subject never came up. What is interesting is that our father, a United church minister, had a PHD in theology, yet none of us followed his path. Religion was rarely mentioned in the home, it was his job. He had an incredible ability to uplift the human spirit. God and Jesus were rarely mentioned. We didn't turn away from religion to rebel but rather he taught us to question. He knew from the time I was 13 I didn't believe. If he was disappointed he didn't express it. I continued to attend church because he was "my dad" and a great guy. We all felt that way about him. He gave us the freedom to make our own choices.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Takelababy's post
12-08-2014, 09:18 AM
RE: All my siblings are atheist
Religion wasn't ever talked about in our home, except for " mom was raised catholic but hasn't gone to church since she married dad, except for weddings and funerals. "

Weddings and funerals that was the only time I was in a church till high school.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Your dad does sound like a great guy, did you ever discuss your skepticism with him?

There are a lot of people that have higher-level education in theology and become skeptics once they are confronted with the reality of who wrote the bible and why. (Matt Dillahunty, John Loftus, etc.)

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-08-2014, 01:09 PM
all my siblings and parents are theists. lucky you. Smile

does anybody pray for you?
[+] 1 user Likes Wicked Clown's post
12-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I have an Atheist, a Wiccan, and a Christian as siblings. Makes for interesting times.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
(12-08-2014 01:20 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have an Atheist, a Wiccan, and a Christian as siblings. Makes for interesting times.

What happens when they walk into a bar?
[+] 7 users Like RogueWarrior's post
12-08-2014, 06:37 PM
(12-08-2014 06:31 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 01:20 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I have an Atheist, a Wiccan, and a Christian as siblings. Makes for interesting times.

What happens when they walk into a bar?

They say "Ow"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-08-2014, 05:02 PM
My father was a busy man and as a minister his hours were much like a doctor's. After supper the phone would ring almost non stop for him. He was a wise man when it came to his kids. He knew when to back off rather than have us rebel. His chosen path was not the ministry but to become a doctor. He had even entered pre-med when his father, a minister, visited the university and told my father and administration that he would be taking theology. Unbeknownst to my grandfather, my father took both that year but did pursue theology and got his degree and later a Phd. He wasn't so much about a belief in God but more about helping his fellow man and ways that were meaningful to them. He never mentioned the bible or pulled quotes or offered a prayer, only if asked.
27-08-2014, 08:32 PM
yeah, religion was never really talked about in my house either. I just came to my own conclusions on my own and became atheist. Well, Agnostic atheist but whatever.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ