All of you think I'm crazy already... lol so I'll fuel the fire.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2014, 02:11 PM
RE: All of you think I'm crazy already... lol so I'll fuel the fire.
(27-04-2014 12:55 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  ... someone who is proselytizing is not having a conversation. No back and forth exchange, other than for the purpose pushing their belief on the other. There is no conversation there, just a talking to. That is proselytizing.

So it is.

But that ain't limited to religion, no sir. Of the 80% of posts attempting to persuade (the other 20% can be safely classed as snark), more than half are the voicebox exercised and the eardrums excised. Ban one-sided posts in here and you could run the forum on a 1980 IBM PC and one 5 inch floppy disk.

It seems to me half the fun in this forum is dancing on trolls anyway. All ban would do is shut down the dance hall and limit the lecture hall to lectures only. It'd be like a church. Yuck. Now wouldn't that be a cute irony?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
27-04-2014, 02:17 PM
(27-04-2014 01:38 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I sense a gauntlet has been thrown down. Laughat

Let the games begin..... I got 100 quatlues on Taq. Big Grin

TrainWreck won't engage. It'd be like Tequila bringing a knife to a gunfight.

(27-04-2014 01:31 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I could not disagree with you more. I've not read much of what else TrainWreck has posted. I base what I said on what he's written here and now. ... He's not misunderstood. I think you misunderstand him for something better than he is.

He's a street bum in NYC soliciting change with clever witticisms written on cardboard signs. I think you misunderstand him for something less than he is. Tongue

If I discount TheWreck's universally offensive racist posts which apparently only Girly found Richard Pryor fucking hilarious, and I discount the rather bizarre attempt to reinvent the Dewey Decimal system, I can distill what WreckMan's saying in his next sign.

"Atheists don't realize they have a common political agenda.
Please help. God Bless!"

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-04-2014, 02:20 PM
(27-04-2014 02:11 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 12:55 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  ... someone who is proselytizing is not having a conversation. No back and forth exchange, other than for the purpose pushing their belief on the other. There is no conversation there, just a talking to. That is proselytizing.

So it is.

But that ain't limited to religion, no sir. Of the 80% of posts attempting to persuade (the other 20% can be safely classed as snark), more than half are the voicebox exercised and the eardrums excised. Ban one-sided posts in here and you could run the forum on a 1980 IBM PC and one 5 inch floppy disk.

It seems to me half the fun in this forum is dancing on trolls anyway. All ban would do is shut down the dance hall and limit the lecture hall to lectures only. It'd be like a church. Yuck. Now wouldn't that be a cute irony?

Ah...I see what you're stuck on. The word "ban". I never said "ban" anything. I said I'm against proselytizing, not ban it.

I am very strongly against proselytizing. I'm unapologetic about that, and I find trolls a waste of time. I know some of you LOVE them, but I don't.

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
27-04-2014, 02:25 PM
(27-04-2014 02:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 01:38 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I sense a gauntlet has been thrown down. Laughat

TrainWreck won't engage. It'd be like Tequila bringing a knife to a gunfight.

(27-04-2014 01:31 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I could not disagree with you more. I've not read much of what else TrainWreck has posted. I base what I said on what he's written here and now. ... He's not misunderstood. I think you misunderstand him for something better than he is.

He's a street bum in NYC soliciting change with clever witticisms written on cardboard signs. I think you misunderstand him for something less than he is. Tongue

If I discount TheWreck's universally offensive racist posts which apparently only Girly found Richard Pryor fucking hilarious, and I discount the rather bizarre attempt to reinvent the Dewey Decimal system, I can distill what WreckMan's saying in his next sign.

"Atheists don't realize they have a common political agenda.
Please help. God Bless!"

You, for some reason, give him too much credit for having said something he doesn't actually say. And even if he did (which he did not), you give him too much credit for that having been a valuable thing to say.

[+] 5 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
27-04-2014, 05:06 PM

I'd rather see TrainWreck and Luminon in a cage fight. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-04-2014, 06:29 PM
(27-04-2014 12:24 PM)Charis Wrote:  Taq... bring your GIF, please.

Yes, Ma'am!

[Image: colin-farrell.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
27-04-2014, 06:33 PM
I expected something...Sad i don't know.......something...better...

27-04-2014, 06:36 PM
(27-04-2014 12:20 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  What's the beef against proselytizing? Proselytizing is at its root an attempt to convert someone's point of view, usually religious, but not necessarily. That describes 80% of every post in this forum: an attempt to sway opinion. Why the hell else would we even bother talking to each other if not to joggle points of view?

Now I can see being tired of the usual form of religious proselytizing, but I don't see any reason to ban it, and several reasons to accept it. If you're tired of it, ignore it. Its cost to the operation of the forum is non-existent; its cost to you in terms of time spent is entirely your own call.

Ban it, and you start having to define borders around acceptable forms of persuasion and unacceptable forms of persuasion. Those borders get messy and fuzzy. And they require someone's time to police. Why incur the extra overhead?

Ban it, and you risk missing seeing some new perspective. Ban it, and you join the book burners in essential spirit.

If your beef is that proselytizing is offensive, draw your attention to 6 out of any 10 posts in here that are intentionally offensive across a galaxy of contentious matters. That argument won't fly.

I oppose censorship of any kind, personally. Censorship can only be applied out of arrogance: the arrogance that the censor knows better than you what you should be exposed to.

I see standard religious proselytizing and I turn it off. But that's ME turning it off, not someone else turning it off on my behalf. And sometimes, I DON'T turn it off, just to check it out for anything interesting.

We should be careful, getting in a lather over proselytizing, because, really, it's what we all do, some more elegantly and eloquently than others.

I have no idea who you are but holy shit I think this must be one of the best posts ever made on here. Thumbsup

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-04-2014, 06:38 PM
(27-04-2014 01:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  From what I seen Tequila does not generally target fellow atheists but rather reserves his venom for the metaphysically stupid.

Pretty much.

Quote: TrainWreck ain't stupid

Disasgree. TW is stupid as fuck and is bleating absolute bullshit. He doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
27-04-2014, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2014 06:58 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-04-2014 06:38 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 01:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  From what I seen Tequila does not generally target fellow atheists but rather reserves his venom for the metaphysically stupid.

Pretty much.

Quote: TrainWreck ain't stupid

Disasgree. TW is stupid as fuck and is bleating absolute bullshit. He doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

Can you live on the streets of NYC soliciting change with cardboard witticisms? No? TrainWreck can.

(27-04-2014 02:25 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  ... you give him too much credit for that having been a valuable thing to say.

And you are far too quick to dismiss him. TrainWreck ain't the fool you make him out to be.

#sigh