All of you think I'm crazy already... lol so I'll fuel the fire.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: All of you think I'm crazy already... lol so I'll fuel the fire.
(22-04-2014 08:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I am in no way a theology scholar or even someone with biblical authority, but I do feel that God starts to speak through me for whatever weird, strange reason when I start answering questions on this site. Almost every single time I read a question to me or in regards to Christianity, I have no idea how to answer that question or what I'm going to say.

I don't answer questions arbitrarily or respond to theological dialog arbitrarily either. Many times I'll read something and I have no response for it, so I continue browsing the site. However, there are a lot of times that I'll read something and without thought or consideration I'll hit the "reply" button and start typing - having no idea what I'm saying.

Stuff just "comes out". Now, many of you would chalk this up as me being a good BSer and being good at being able to make things up on the fly and make it "sound" right.

Maybe. Always the possibility as nothing is impossible.

But, I'm more inclined to believe that God is speaking through me telling me what to type. I do have a few things going for me as you will be hard pressed to find something in my theology that isn't reconciled. As crazy and messed up as my theology is to some of you, it isn't contradictory. So, when I sit down to type, these new revelations are also reconciled (to the best of my knowledge) according to my theology.

But yeah, there is no real point to this thread. I just feel comfortable enough with all of you to share this. This is what I think happens to me when I start to reply to many of you.

You guys know I am honest... almost to a fault. I can honestly say that many times when I start typing there is no preconceived thought on my part. Almost every time, it's me sitting down at the computer and just typing... typing until I don't have any words left to type in regards to the context of the post.

...lol I just looked back at what I wrote and read it from a rational/non-believing perspective. Jeez... I do sound crazy.

Ahhh well... I embrace it. It's me.

Not surprising - you're delusional.

And please stop insulting us by claiming to be rational. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Its all good KC and for some reason,I like ya...... but sometimes I think you've gone skydiving without a parachute. Big Grin

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
22-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Conciousness is not just one thing. It's many things going on at once. I don't know what I'm typing right now. It just comes out. When I write software it comes from a place that I can't see until it arrives. My internal narrative is always out of sync with what is really happening in my brain. My creative and textually expressive conciousness in particular is a mystery to the rest of my conciousness. It produces output that the rest of my brain checks over, but I can't speak the words that will come out of my fingers into the keyboard until they are typed. I can't speak them in advance because my speaking conciousness is not aware of what they will be until they are arrive.

My typing conciousness spells things out phonetically, and must be constantly corrected by my reviewing conciousness. My internal narrative ties it all together after the fact. I'm comfortable with being not one thing but many things going on at once. I wouldn't be able to operate at a professional level if I let my whole conciousness come together into one synchronized whole before creating something interesting. The different parts play their different roles.

If I'm tired I need one part of my conciousness to keep talking to the part that produces my text and my creative works in order to maintain focus and to continue to produce correct output. That, or singing, or something to keep things firing across my brain in an orderly fashion. There's clearly a connection there but no visibility ahead of time. Sometimes I find my narrative conciousness drifting far away from routine coding tasks and the like. The Tao[1] is supposed to be satirical, but I think it go this one right:

"When I first began to program I would see before me the whole problem in one mass. After three years I no longer saw this mass. Instead, I used subroutines. But now I see nothing. My whole being exists in a formless void. My senses are idle. My spirit, free to work without plan, follows its own instinct. In short, my program writes itself. True, sometimes there are difficult problems. I see them coming, I slow down, I watch silently. Then I change a single line of code and the difficulties vanish like puffs of idle smoke. I then compile the program. I sit still and let the joy of the work fill my being. I close my eyes for a moment and then log off."

I think what you are experiencing might just be the human condition Wink

[1] http://www.canonical.org/~kragen/tao-of-...mming.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
22-04-2014, 11:32 AM
... as for labelling a part of your conciousness as "God telling me what to type", consider the following quote:
"Because the ideas I had about supernatural beings came to me the same way my mathematical ideas did,...So I took them seriously"
- John Nash

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=NDcw...ly&f=false

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
22-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I don't think anyone knows the full content of their sentences when begun, whether speaking or writing. We might even be hazy on the concept we're trying to express; only in trying to give it voice does it harden into something definite. Many times I've started to explain something with one idea in mind only to discover mid-sentence a better perspective or even a complete reversal of the idea that would not have happened until my attempt to explain it. And it's very common for authors to begin a story or novel with one map of plot and character and message and find during the course of writing one or all three of those elements change unbidden.

It's an artifact of mind; it happens to everybody.

I don't think it's wise to always attribute to a god what you can't explain. It arrests any further investigation you might make to discover what's really going on. And that just leaves you permanently ignorant in every field in which you bump up against something YOU can't yet explain.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
22-04-2014, 11:42 AM
(22-04-2014 08:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  there are a lot of times that I'll read something and without thought or consideration I'll hit the "reply" button and start typing - having no idea what I'm saying.

Stuff just "comes out".

Oh dear, I am like that all the time. Stuff just comes out of my mouth (or fingers as the case may be).

I even used to go to hold speeches without any notes - I would just feed off the audience. Their questions or reactions to what I was saying made the speech, and that tended to make it a good speech, with lots of audience participation. They would continue the conversation after I was done, and I always got asked to hold more speeches.

Often the first thoughts you have on a topic have the most substance - your brain picks them off the top because they are the most developed ideas or the best formed arguments. You have thought them through and they present first. No point digging through the slush of your retained info when the best is on the top.

Writing a thesis or such is different, you want to dig and dig and refine and refine with all you've got.

But for everyday communications with others, the items on top tend to do just fine. Sometimes you can even surprise yourself - your brain does a lot of sorting and refining without your conscious guidance. I don't think it surprising at all that you give answers spontaneously that contain refinements of thought that you were not aware you had.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-04-2014, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2014 11:58 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(22-04-2014 08:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I am in no way a theology scholar or even someone with biblical authority, but I do feel that God starts to speak through me for whatever weird, strange reason when I start answering questions on this site. Almost every single time I read a question to me or in regards to Christianity, I have no idea how to answer that question or what I'm going to say.

I don't answer questions arbitrarily or respond to theological dialog arbitrarily either. Many times I'll read something and I have no response for it, so I continue browsing the site. However, there are a lot of times that I'll read something and without thought or consideration I'll hit the "reply" button and start typing - having no idea what I'm saying.

Stuff just "comes out". Now, many of you would chalk this up as me being a good BSer and being good at being able to make things up on the fly and make it "sound" right.

Maybe. Always the possibility as nothing is impossible.

But, I'm more inclined to believe that God is speaking through me telling me what to type. I do have a few things going for me as you will be hard pressed to find something in my theology that isn't reconciled. As crazy and messed up as my theology is to some of you, it isn't contradictory. So, when I sit down to type, these new revelations are also reconciled (to the best of my knowledge) according to my theology.

But yeah, there is no real point to this thread. I just feel comfortable enough with all of you to share this. This is what I think happens to me when I start to reply to many of you.

You guys know I am honest... almost to a fault. I can honestly say that many times when I start typing there is no preconceived thought on my part. Almost every time, it's me sitting down at the computer and just typing... typing until I don't have any words left to type in regards to the context of the post.

...lol I just looked back at what I wrote and read it from a rational/non-believing perspective. Jeez... I do sound crazy.

Ahhh well... I embrace it. It's me.

I type with the FSM’s noodley appendages.

"Thou noodles be thine fingers, and thou sauce the ink."
~Ramen
[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
22-04-2014, 12:04 PM
(22-04-2014 08:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 08:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  njvsdv jn kjssdvac fjbhsdf ;lsjf sdhlsd Dodgy
lkdnd

kjsdjvs dv
pjs lz.dcbh

,n vjsv cvs

Smartass

How can you say that ? That's obviously all wrong.
The only think we really know is
keiosnfu^ekv0]3emskf.

Nah uh - DLJ is spot on -pjs lz.dcdh. Dodgy sheesh

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-04-2014, 12:15 PM
(22-04-2014 11:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ... as for labelling a part of your conciousness as "God telling me what to type", consider the following quote:
"Because the ideas I had about supernatural beings came to me the same way my mathematical ideas did,...So I took them seriously"
- John Nash

I love John Nash! He's such an amazing man - it's unbelievable that he's even still alive, considering everything he went through to keep the insanity at bay. One of his sons is now going through the struggle. That must be quite stressful for him and the family to be put through it all again. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-04-2014, 02:00 PM
I know the feeling KC, it's kind of intoxicating. And I don't use that word lightly, I've noticed the same mind state when I get tipsy or after a puff of weed.
You get inspired and ideas flow throw you easily, and you could talk for days and don't lose a bit of clarity.
But in my experience it's just that, a rush of chemicals in the brain, that's why after you reread it you noticed how crazy you sound. I've talked "inspired by god", it was one of my most shameful moments, one of the few I actually lost it. It's dangerous to leave our minds out of control. Undecided

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post