All of you think I'm crazy already... lol so I'll fuel the fire.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 08:27 AM
RE: All of you think I'm crazy already... lol so I'll fuel the fire.
(28-04-2014 07:54 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 07:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  That is exactly what I am saying.
Atheism in itself is not anything, it only becomes something as long as there is theism.
That is why it is why it is a political doctrine, because its purpose is to defeat theism in reasoned debate which is to be conducted in legislative assemblies.

(28-04-2014 07:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  Since theism has a chance in hell of ever disappearing completely, (people like their woo), atheism will continue to exist as a definition of people who are not theists.
Then why bother arguing with theist??? Why do atheist organizations get excited when the statistics conclude that people are less religious?

(28-04-2014 07:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  It is as much an ontological factor as technology.
Technology is the epistemological description of the humanist ontology deliberated by science. You can find further information at the Secular Library.

Well, I don't much argue with theists about religion. And atheist organizations are but a tiny percentage of atheists. Most atheists are largely in the closet and some of us meet online to talk to like minded people.

I don't care to de-convert theists. I care to make information exchange possible, that is all. I think the majority of people would not choose theism if they had been presented alternate information from childhood on out. And you do see that happening, an ever increasing number of today's youth chooses not to believe in gods and to be vocal about it.

It reminds me of where gays were in the seventies.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2014, 08:40 AM
(28-04-2014 08:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I don't much argue with theists about religion.
Of course not. You're here to advance truth in fellowship with admirable atheists - how's that going for you? Learn anything that you were wrong about before, or are you trying to straighten out all the dummies?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-04-2014, 08:54 AM
(28-04-2014 08:40 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, I don't much argue with theists about religion.
Of course not. You're here to advance truth in fellowship with admirable atheists - how's that going for you? Learn anything that you were wrong about before, or are you trying to straighten out all the dummies?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxT5ZCH2h0EN0INN5emE8...uJncFxg4xA]

Atir aissom atir imon
28-04-2014, 09:06 AM
(28-04-2014 08:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxT5ZCH2h0EN0INN5emE8...uJncFxg4xA]
You're the brilliant IM_Ryan I have heard about.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
28-04-2014, 09:09 AM
(28-04-2014 09:06 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 08:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxT5ZCH2h0EN0INN5emE8...uJncFxg4xA]
You're the brilliant IM_Ryan I have heard about.

My reputation precedes me, how may I be of service?

[Image: 6a0134804df3cb970c016761019aaa970b-pi]

Atir aissom atir imon
28-04-2014, 09:27 AM
(28-04-2014 08:40 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  ...
Learn anything that you were wrong about before,...?

Erm... yeah... loads.

But I'd never admit that in public.

Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-04-2014, 09:56 AM
(28-04-2014 09:09 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  My reputation precedes me, how may I be of service?
I need to know the definitions of the following words that atheists agree are correct:
  1. atheism
  2. humanism
  3. secularism
  4. religion
  5. belief
  6. worship

28-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Hello TW,

We don't yet know each other, I hope you're well! Smile
I have been reading through the thread and actually agree to an extent with some of what you may be trying to say. I will address the points how I have understood them and offer my view. If I am misunderstanding you, please clarify for me.

1. You are claiming that atheism is a political position due to the fact that it opposes theism directly and theism is accepted as a political position? ... Therefore, to directly oppose one political position automatically creates the opposite new position?

If I understand you correctly, I agree with the core of your argument. Where I think you and I differ is on the definitions. Atheism is just a lack belief in God/Gods, no more, no less. The position opposed to religion politically in my view, is anti-theism. As a human being, I define myself as more than one thing. I am an atheist who has an anti-theist political agenda.

2. You seem to hold the view that arguing about the existence of God is a small thing in the grand scheme of things and that anti-theism (or atheism, I don't see the point in debating semantics) is not organised politically? Agreed, but it is definitely taking hold. I don't think debating God's existence is a waste of time though, I'm English and have seen the benefits of the process over here. America is arguably the most powerful nation on the planet and lack of belief needs to become as culturally normal as belief so that any anti-theistic movement has a chance.

3. You seem to be side swiping people because they're on here arguing with theists instead of out changing the world. With the greatest respect mate, this is a social forum, with different sections, for different conversations. If you want to get in to it politically, start a thread in the relevant section. Also, you don't know what people do or don't do away from here! If that's not enough for you, join some politics forums too. I didn't want to let that slide because I hope you see the irony in taking the position of, you atheists just type shit in forums about religion and don't do anything, when in actual fact, to inform us of our inactivity or political failings, you have achieved this by logging in to a forum and typing shit at us! Big Grin

This is fruitless on both sides. I am not trying to be inflammatory, merely drawing attention to it so we can all see how it gets people's backs up unnecessarily.

All the best Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
28-04-2014, 10:09 AM
(28-04-2014 09:56 AM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 09:09 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  My reputation precedes me, how may I be of service?
I need to know the definitions of the following words that atheists agree are correct:
  1. atheism
  2. humanism
  3. secularism
  4. religion
  5. belief
  6. worship

Sure, but out of respect for KC, in another thread. This is not the place.

Feel free to debate me any time in the appropriate thread, or challenge me in the boxing ring.

Atir aissom atir imon
28-04-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2014 10:16 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE DROP BOX FOR REP FROM POSITIVE TO NEGATIVE! (Trainwreck)
Fixed

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post