All the Theist Arguments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 02:45 PM
RE: All the Theist Arguments
Could it be???

The Flying Spaghetti Monster????

rAmen....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2015, 10:20 PM
(07-02-2015 06:24 PM)rookiebatman Wrote:  5. The Argument from Miracles: The existence of miracles requires the existence of a supernatural force or God; miracles do occur, therefore there is a supernatural force or God.

It might be an extension of #5, but I've heard them argue that the Bible has a 100% track record on prophesies, which proves it's accurate and from a divine source. It's not, of course, but don't let that stop people from picking up and dropping context when they need to to keep up that 100% track record. For example, God hasn't dried up the Nile yet, despite that being part of a chapter where God is telling Egypt all the ways he's going to punish them, and two verses earlier, he was talking about an invasion that would have to happen within the lifetime of Nebuchadnezzar. Consider

I've also heard a similar approach that the Bible shows a far more advanced knowledge of science than what contemporary cultures had, thus, it proves it is of a divine source. I've only once heard this said by a Jehovah's Witness. This all hinges on a verse in Job where it says the earth is a sphere. The original word is actually ambiguous and can mean "sphere" or "circle", so it's not like this is even a reasonable claim, let alone a solid one. Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-02-2015, 08:29 AM
(08-02-2015 12:15 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 08:39 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Not a single one of those would lead them to conclude that THEIR god is the one that exists.Laughat

Since not a single of of those arguments has the aim of proving that THEIR god exists, you pointing out the obvious is quite...irrelevant Laughat

The Christian faith is a stack of unsupported presuppositions with no evidence at any level of the stack. Even if we allow for the biggest presupposition of the stack to be true, i.e. a god exists, the Christian worldview would still be unable to prove any of it's other presuppositions.

Here is an example of the presupositional stack:

1. A god exists
2. YHWH is that god
3. The New Testament Abba, as opposed to YHWH is that god (Judaism has NEVER accepted the upstart Jesus cult)
4. The divinity of Abba's son is true
5. Out of ten's of thousands of sects, MY sect is the true one

A rational person can grant the biggest presupposition of all, that god exists, but you still have an entire chain of unprovable presuppositions that simply cannot be validated.

In short, even when accepting the existence of god, the theist is still left with nothing, you are still standing on a stack of presuppositions that you have no proof for other than "the bible says". You are stuck at the 2nd presupposition unable to move beyond it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post