All the pissing and whining about the election -

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2016, 07:42 AM
RE: All the pissing and whining about the election -
(11-11-2016 07:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's not really democracy when only one of two people can win an election -- and the rules are slanted to ensure that......

Agreed. A government is only as strong as the opposition holding it to account. It doesn't need to be any stronger than that.

The more opposition you have, the more careful the government needs to be to do what's best for everyone.

Secondly, having only two established parties means that this reinforces an elite political class that becomes increasingly concerned over their own internal power struggles rather than the country they are supposed to be ruling over.

e.g.

The maths that saw the US shutdown coming

Quote:Workers or employees make up the bulk of any society, with a minority of employers constituting the top few per cent of earners. By mathematically modelling historical data, Turchin finds that as population grows, workers start to outnumber available jobs, driving down wages. The wealthy elite then end up with an even greater share of the economic pie, and inequality soars. This is borne out in the US, for example, where average wages have stagnated since the 1970s although gross domestic product has steadily climbed.

This process also creates new avenues – such as increased access to higher education – that allow a few workers to join the elite, swelling their ranks. Eventually this results in what Turchin calls “elite overproduction” – there being more people in the elite than there are top jobs. “Then competition starts to get ugly,” he says.

The richest continue to become richer: as in many complex systems, whether in nature or in society, existing advantage feeds back positively to create yet more. The rest of the elite fight it out, with rival patronage networks battling ever more fiercely. “There are always ideological differences, but elite overproduction explains why competition becomes so bitter, with no one willing to compromise,” Turchin says. This means the squabbling in Congress that precipitated the current shutdown is a symptom of societal forces at work, rather than the primary problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
11-11-2016, 07:54 AM
I think Trump is a dangerous man and I understand peoples fears and I am fully on board with the anti Trumpers but one thing that does irritate me a little about all the protests is the seemingly complete failure of the protesters to acknowledge that in part it was the democrats overconfidence and complacency that caused this to happen. We even have evidence of this in our own backyard here on TTA.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
11-11-2016, 08:06 AM
(11-11-2016 07:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 07:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Wow, pretending that Obama is like Trump? That's delusional...

We're not talking about Obama or Trump....

We're talking about sore losers who think they've had something "stolen" from them.

I don't think anything was stolen from me. Trump won the election fair and square. That's the worst thing about this -- half of the people in this country are OK with having a totally unqualified megalomaniac sexual predator in the White house, with a fucking creationist next in line. Everybody seems to think that's just fine. That's what bothers me.
[+] 10 users Like Grasshopper's post
11-11-2016, 08:06 AM
I think you're mistaking true fear for sour grapes. Also, as someone who's lived through a few terrible election results, you have a more experienced (or cynical) view and understanding of the inertia that would have to be countered so that Trump's policies can be implemented. I remember feeling fear and despair the day Reagan was elected--and I was right to feel that way, because Reagan was a terribly destructive president, in terms of the long-run damage of his policies--but I did find out that the Armageddon I had feared did not immediately happen. Life went on. Increasingly miserable for many, but continuing nonetheless. Younger people are going to have more intense reactions. That's good and bad.

My town has a lot of immigrants and people of color, and I've met lots of people who are terrified because of Trump's specifically exclusionary rhetoric about taking America "back"--we know that means from people like us. I include myself in the we, although I'm white, because I'm atheist and support Roe v. Wade and same sex marriage, which positions have led Trump supporters to tell me I ought to leave the country or not be able to vote, serve on a jury, etc.

I believe you're underestimating the negative change that Trump's going to effect. Trump's been handed a Republican Congress and several Supreme Court vacancies, and he's shown himself willing--eager--to use all of the considerable power that will be at his disposal to crush the opposition. He's also shown zero critical thinking ability and a dangerous susceptibility to flattery. And he's also shown that he has no interest in foreign or domestic policy, so presumably Pence has been tapped to handle one or both--if you're not scared by that, given Pence's record in Indiana, you should be.

Trump's the president, and I'm not out protesting. But no, never will I consider him my president. Not going to whine about it, going to work to limit the damage as much as i can and protect the people I care about from being treated as second-class citizens.
[+] 12 users Like julep's post
11-11-2016, 08:41 AM
(11-11-2016 07:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
Piss and moan -- you're just the flip side of the same coin........
If this was someone like Dubya, I would agree. But it isn't. Not even close.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
11-11-2016, 09:18 AM
(11-11-2016 07:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 07:16 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Wow, pretending that Obama is like Trump? That's delusional...

We're not talking about Obama or Trump....

We're talking about sore losers who think they've had something "stolen" from them.

No, we're talking about this sick fuck of a man who now is the leader of the "free?" world who mocks disabilities:

[Image: oT41FYI.gif]

If Obama had done something like that he would never have become president in a million years. But, hey! it's ok for republicans if trump does it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 9 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-11-2016, 09:22 AM
(11-11-2016 07:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been experiencing a strong sense of deja vu.....

I suddenly realized what's causing it..

All the protests - all the pissing and whining about "stolen elections" all the vitriol - and the proclamations of "He's not MY president" --- "He's not fit to be President"..

I realized I've heard it all before......

When President Obama got elected -(who I voted for) -- the ( R ) camp was making the same sort of noise......

And you think you're SOOOO much better than them??????

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAH

Piss and moan -- you're just the flip side of the same coin........

Two Party Politics.................

Sadcryface2

Have you gone memory logged to somehow have forgotten the W. elections and peoples attitudes of that??

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-11-2016, 09:46 AM
(11-11-2016 07:12 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Hypocrisy is okay when I do it. Big Grin

Redacted Wrote:Dear Democrat supporter....

WHERE was the outrage when Al Gore won the popular vote?

Hillary has already told you lot to "Have an open mind"

The election is OVER, The Republicans have their shot at making Obama's original platform....CHANGE....actually happen

Obama himself, in the best speech I have ever heard him make, has told you also, "WE are on the same team"

And that "The Sun will rise tommorrow"

Give the donald a GO....you can always vote him out in four years.

Meantime....build a damn BRIDGE....and get over it.

In the words of Thomas Jackson, (Stonewall)

"LET US CROSS OVER THE RIVER....AND REST UNDER THE SHADE OF THE TREES('-)
That was posted elsewhere and wins the Hypocrisy of the Year Award. Eight years of pure venom against Obama and now The Dumald should get a break from us?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2016, 09:54 AM
(11-11-2016 09:18 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 07:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We're not talking about Obama or Trump....

No, we're talking about this sick fuck of a man who now is the leader of the "free?" world who mocks disabilities:

[Image: oT41FYI.gif]

If Obama had done something like that he would never have become president in a million years. But, hey! it's ok for republicans if trump does it.

What's wrong with mocking people with disabilities????

I do it all the time.....

Myself included......

After all -- my SO only stays with me for the good parking spots.....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-11-2016, 09:56 AM
for your reading pleasure:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/796417517157830656

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post