All things Cycling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2015, 01:56 AM
All things Cycling
I know there's a 'What are you riding?' thread, but instead of necroing that I'll start another more generic cycling one.

Are there any committed cyclists out there?
What do you ride?
Where do you ride?
What distances do you ride?
What gear do you have?
What gear do you lust after?
What's your N+1? (See rule No.12)
Nutrition
Training
Clothing
Greatest achievement

Well, we'll see how this flies...

Anyway, to start off, here's me...:

My bike gloatlist:
S-Works Carbon Tarmac SL3 road bike
Charge Juicer (steel-frame winter road bike - just bought this one)
Fuji track
Ellsworth Epiphany full-suspension off-roader
Trek 6000 hardtail off-roader
Unicycle (unloved and unused)

I used to ride exclusively off-road until about 5 years ago, then I got into road cycling and rarely now do anything else - maybe an age thing... I live not far from the Surrey Hills (Just outside of London) which is a superb playground for roadies and off-roaders alike... if you like hills, that is! I'll do anything upto 80miles on a sunday ride, but very little during the week. I recently completed the London ride 100miles which was a brilliant event. I'm not very quick at all, and constantly struggle with fitting-in training. I do have a decent sized garage which holds my turbo, rollers and leg-press machine so it's all there as/when I need it.

I do a bit of track (velodrome) cycling as I'm at the track at least once a week with my son (11yrs) who trains and competes there.

So, what about you?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2015, 05:31 AM
RE: All things Cycling
One thing I've always wondered about.

When you ask someone why they cycle -- the answer is almost inevitably "for exercise".

Then, they try everything they can do - and spend money on - to make the effort easier and faster.

Think about that --- it's like spending a bunch of money on a huge set of weights - then only using the 10 lb dumbbell.

I suspect the reason that these goofballs dress up like Lance Armstrong - with the lycra suits and funny helmets -- is because they want people to be impressed.

If you really want to impress me -- hook up your bicycle to a trailer and haul around an old refrigerator, or a stack of concrete blocks. Get some REAL exercise. And quit wearing those goddamned pants that show off the crack of your ass......

Nobody really wants to see that.

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-10-2015, 06:54 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2015 11:00 AM by Tomasia.)
(25-10-2015 05:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  .......

I suspect the reason that these goofballs dress up like Lance Armstrong - with the lycra suits and funny helmets -- is because they want people to be impressed.

If you really want to impress me -- hook up your bicycle to a trailer and haul around an old refrigerator, or a stack of concrete blocks. Get some REAL exercise. And quit wearing those goddamned pants that show off the crack of your ass......

Nobody really wants to see that.

Wink

And I suspect it's just a new and popular hobby, for folks with a considerable amount of expendable income. It's replaced golf for the wealthy. There's cycling communities, and clubs, events one can participate it, so the appeals shouldn't be entirely lost, or seen as just a vanity project.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-10-2015, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2015 07:04 AM by yakherder.)
I don't consider myself a hobby cyclist, though I've used a bicycle off and on for commuting in cities. I got into the folding cycles when I was in China because you don't always have a reliable place to park it, and busses aren't usually bike friendly despite the massive number of bikes on the road.

Then I got out cycling when I moved to Vegas, but again got a generic commuting bicycle (don't even remember the type offhand) after moving to Montreal, which I still use from time to time on the rare occasions I go into the city and the traffic is particularly nasty and I don't feel like using the subway for whatever reason.

I just recently bought the first bike I'd consider to be a decent one. Upon starting to work as a guard at remote mine sites this year, I found I wanted to have an off-road bike as it isn't always practical to drive the vehicle all over the site if you've got a lot of stops to make, and I needed to be able to have it as a carry on during my flights there and back, so I dumped about a grand on a Montague Paratrooper Pro. Works well for my purposes.

'Murican Canadian
25-10-2015, 10:18 AM
I bike for fun, mostly scenic trips or something like that and mostly when I'm on vacation. I used to love biking around Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard back in MA.
25-10-2015, 10:55 AM
I think a unicycle would be fun Tongue

I totally understand really getting into biking and getting everything needed to enhance your experience. I am really into yoga and I have pretty much every yoga prop known to man (bolsters, straps, blocks, mats, yoga blankets, yoga bags, yoga clothes, yoga jewelry...) The only thing I don't have is a yoga aerial swing, but that's on my Christmas list Wink
25-10-2015, 11:17 AM
I grew up in a small town full of bikes. My bike there is an old one I got like 15 years ago. I wish I could use it here in Athens but it's built on hills and I'm not fit enough to ride uphill. Can't say I'm into it as a sport.

My hometown is often called a "bike town" or "Greek Amsterdam". Everyone has a bike. It's normal for a family of 4 to own more than 4 bikes. People of all ages (even very old people with some really cool vintage bikes) use their bikes every day and the town is filled with them. There are many bike paths so you can go anywhere safely.

So, yeah, this may not have been exactly what the OP was looking for, but I still felt like replying due to my... history Rolleyes

Bike parking! Smile

[Image: 7QjWhQP.png]

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
26-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Trying to ignore the haterz, but I wear lycra because it's functional -- it wicks away sweat and other moisture, it's padded in the right places (try sitting on a bicycle seat for 100 miles without it), it has pockets in the right places, it's aerodynamic, and it's black so you can wipe your hands on it after fixing a flat tire. I don't look especially good in it, though (I could stand to lose a few pounds), so I'm certainly not wearing it to impress anyone.

I haven't owned a car since 1991, so my daily commuting and utility vehicle is a bike. I use relatively cheap but sturdy bikes for this -- bikes that I'm not afraid to ride on bad roads and/or in bad weather. I have had a variety of them, but the current one is a Cannondale hybrid.

I also have a "nice" bike for recreational riding, and that bike is a custom-fitted carbon/titanium Serotta Ottrott with Campy Chorus components. It cost over $10,000, and it's worth every penny. Yes, I use it for exercise (among other things), but it's also a pleasure to ride -- this bike compared to my commuting bike is like a Porsche or Ferrari compared to a beater. I don't see this as any contradiction -- would you expect a runner to wear combat boots instead of efficient running shoes? After all, they would get "more exercise" that way.

I do about 2000 miles per year of commuting and utility rides, and anywhere from 1000 to 6000 miles of recreational riding. I don't race at all, but I have done a number of "challenge rides" like the Horribly Hilly Hundreds, Dairyland Dare, etc. (all in southwestern Wisconsin, which is a cycling paradise -- Greg Lemond used to come here to train). These rides are over 100 miles and extremely hilly -- I would have no chance of completing them at all on my commuting bike.

I don't get overly fancy with clothing, although I do have a pair of Sidi cycling shoes (matched to the "pedals" on my Serotta, which are really just chunks of metal that the shoes clip into -- more efficient, you see) that cost several hundred dollars. One of my co-workers mocked me for buying these. Coincidentally, he wears a $3000 Rolex watch that doesn't tell time any better than my $20 Timex. Different strokes for different folks.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
26-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I thought about replying to Onlinebiker but decided not to waste my keystrokes.

Niiiiiice Serotta! (had to google that one.) Interesting concept bike but, according to test reviews, it does put its mouth where its money is. It's got the same wheels as my S-Works! I was originally looking for a ti bike myself for my winter trainer, but opted to spend much less on steel. I might reret that. Last weekend I took the Charge out for its first ride. Blimey its heavy! I've committed to exclusively use this bike on my Sunday rides apart from sportives. The plan is to beef up a bit and see if I can mix it with the vets at track league next summer. I'm at the track anyway with my son so I might as well join in.

I've got an old Pinarello road frame too that I'm having reprayed and building up for my son. I got some Reynolds forks for it that I'll be getting back from being rechromed this week. I've been building and rebuilding mountain bikes for decades and this is my first forray in to road bikes. Certainly a steep learning curve - especially with old-school kit.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
26-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Really??

I own and ride a mountain bike............. I just get a laugh out of those people who think they're in the Tour de France..............

Don't take yourself so fucking serious......

You like me, are just another sweaty guy cranking away at the pedals...........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.