All things Cycling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 06:00 PM
RE: All things Cycling
Not related but the title of this thread sounds like the title of my life story Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 06:40 PM
(26-10-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Really??

I own and ride a mountain bike............. I just get a laugh out of those people who think they're in the Tour de France..............

Don't take yourself so fucking serious......

You like me, are just another sweaty guy cranking away at the pedals...........

To be fair, your earlier post was a bit over the top. I ride an expensive bike and I wear lycra, but neither is for any of the reasons you've given. I don't "think I'm in the Tour de France" -- that would be as silly as thinking I'm on the Yankees when I play sandlot softball -- but I do 100+ mile rides on extremely hilly roads (over 10,000 feet total elevation gain), and I'm on the bike for 10 or more hours in the process. Try that wearing jeans, and you won't sit down for a week. And as I mentioned in my earlier post, I would have no chance of finishing these rides on a mountain bike or one of my commuting bikes. The clothes I wear and the bike I ride are functional for the type of riding I do. I'm not trying to make any fashion statements. And deliberately using inefficient equipment so you can get "more exercise" is just stupid. I don't know anyone who does that. Cycling up a 20% grade (or even a 5% grade that goes on for 20 miles -- and I have done both) is hard enough without handicapping yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Everyone has their thing. For me it's yoga and I do put in a good amount of money to enhance my experience. Biking is good exercise--if you love it--why not spend your money on getting items to enhance your experience? I don't think I've ever looked at a bike rider who was decked out in all their gear and thought "Wow, there goes Lance Armstrong." I would just think it's someone who is really into their sport and is probably quite good at it.

And Onlinebiker--with the way you talk about your guns--you haven't put a lot of $$ into guns and hunting gear? I will be surprised if you say no. What about your motorcycle/motorcycle gear? Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-10-2015, 07:11 PM
(25-10-2015 10:55 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think a unicycle would be fun Tongue
I'll let you know when I learn to ride it. So far, no fun at all!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
[+] 1 user Likes Siz's post
26-10-2015, 07:16 PM
(26-10-2015 07:11 PM)Siz Wrote:  

Definitely post a video Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-10-2015, 07:50 PM
(26-10-2015 07:11 PM)Siz Wrote:  

Then you can be Jigsaw for Halloween!

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
27-10-2015, 05:27 AM
(26-10-2015 06:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Everyone has their thing. For me it's yoga and I do put in a good amount of money to enhance my experience. Biking is good exercise--if you love it--why not spend your money on getting items to enhance your experience? I don't think I've ever looked at a bike rider who was decked out in all their gear and thought "Wow, there goes Lance Armstrong." I would just think it's someone who is really into their sport and is probably quite good at it.

And Onlinebiker--with the way you talk about your guns--you haven't put a lot of $$ into guns and hunting gear? I will be surprised if you say no. What about your motorcycle/motorcycle gear? Wink

Be surprised. Be very surprised.

I make a point of getting everything as cheaply as possible.. I've never spent over 200 bucks on a bicycle. Most of them, I spend under 50 bucks.

Guns? I MAKE money on them, not spend money on them.

I recently bought 3 guns for 150 bucks. I sold one for 60, and one for 600. I'm keeping the one.

Why??? Try living on a fixed income. You'll come to see the folly of paying retail.

Edit to add -- my motorcycle -- I bought 12 years ago when it was 4 years old -- with only 3000 miles on it -- for 3000 bucks. It's still in near perfect condition and I could easily sell it for what I paid..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-10-2015, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 07:19 AM by Siz.)
Where needs must, Onlinebiker...!

But no need to vilify those that are fortunate enough to be in a position to buy quality. That does have the malodorous whiff of envy about it...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
27-10-2015, 06:59 AM
Nope... I just think they look silly....

Just an opinion...

edit to add...

To be fair -- I think the guys strutting around in motorcycle leathers on 100 degree days look silly too....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-10-2015, 07:18 AM
Not half as silly as the ones doing 100MPH in shorts and flip-flops...

What would you like me to wear on a Sunday ride?
[Image: bc7d284e-df9f-11e2-881f-00144feab7de.img]
No carbon or arse-cracks in sight!