All things coffee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 12:43 PM
RE: All things coffee
Does anyone here roast their own coffee beans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 08:55 AM
(07-02-2013 12:43 PM)FlyingPizzaMonster Wrote:  Does anyone here roast their own coffee beans?
No, but I'd love to learn. I hear you can do it in a regular home oven, if it's a good quality convection oven. Is that true, or do you need some special equipment?

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
08-02-2013, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 12:13 PM by FlyingPizzaMonster.)
(08-02-2013 08:55 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 12:43 PM)FlyingPizzaMonster Wrote:  Does anyone here roast their own coffee beans?
No, but I'd love to learn. I hear you can do it in a regular home oven, if it's a good quality convection oven. Is that true, or do you need some special equipment?
The easiest way is to use popcorn poppers. Either side-vented air poppers, or Whirley-pop stovetop poppers. You could also use an oven, but I haven't tried that yet.

The main advantage is that you get truly fresh coffee. A lot of the flavor comes from volatiles which don't last very long. Coffee becomes noticeably stale about 2 weeks after roasting (or hours after grinding), but because it doesn't rot the grocery industry treats it like it has a shelf life of a year. By the time most people buy coffee the only flavor left is the bitter.

sweetmarias.com has a lot of information about how to roast. They also sell a variety of green coffee beans.
15-06-2013, 07:22 AM
[Image: 1017256_468614883226825_19112456_n.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2013, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2013 06:42 PM by Hafnof.)
I have a local roaster, but my machine is a little basic and I haven't been able to reliably produce cups to the standard as they can create in their cafe. I prefer a short black to get the most of the flavour of the coffee, but will add milk if the quality is poor. No sugar, preferably a single origin bean but not too fussy on exactly where the beans are from. We have a plantation relatively nearby though, and they produce an extremely decent bean. They prepare their single-origin bean in several different ways and combine into the same bag, and this technique produces some excellent coffee. I grind myself of course, but I don't have the skills or equipment to roast myself at this stage. The quality outside of Australia is usually poor, so when travelling it's just "cafe con leche" or similar Wink
[Image: Dramanti-Logo-300x300.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I guess since tomorrow is Fathers Day, I'll be driving to Peets to get my husband coffee...

Breakfast...

Chorizo and eggs.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Recipy:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 and a half tablespoon coffee
half mug hot water
less than half mug cold milk(or lots and lots of creamer)
makes a 750 ml mug coffee wich wakes me up in the morning

but when i go to my grandma,she has this coffee tree and she roasts and grinds coffee.
Thats the fucking best coffee here.

1 full teaspoon grinded coffee
2 teaspoons sugar
hot water
lil bit of milk(or creamer)
enjoy.
If i go there around the time she harvests them, i help pick them,and grind them(she hates it when some1 else roasts them). Then i take 1 big container coffee home.
Wich lasts only 2-3 weeks at home
i currently have 3 coffee trees and eagerly wait till they get their first coffee beans

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
19-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Coffee ice cream is perfect!

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-07-2013, 04:32 AM
[Image: Image_25800.jpg&width=618]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
19-07-2013, 08:29 AM
The RTS special:

Venti iced Nicaragua red eye, black, no sugar, in a trenta cup. Cheers!

[Image: coffee.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user