Alla

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 12:05 AM
RE: Alla
(20-02-2014 12:00 AM)Stevil Wrote:  The context of the conversation was with regards to depression.

No, the context of the conversation was whether supraphysiological doses of vitamins and minerals are efficacious in the treatment of MDD.

Quote:I agree that there are benefits to ingesting vitamins.

You do realise that vitamins are a component of food and that you can meet the RDA by just eating food?

Quote:But it seems with regards to the condition of depression then vitamin ingestion or deficiency is irrelevant.

Yes, for the symptoms of depression, and the idea that I would in that post that you cherry-picked be agreeing with Mark Fulton when I spent the preceding 50 posts disagreeing with him is absurd. You are disregarding context.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 12:07 AM
(19-02-2014 11:57 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
Quote:Whether a person should or should not take vitamins is another matter entirely.

No it isn't because the actual discussion was about mega-doses of vitamins.
A lesson in comprehension for you Chippy. Don't worry, we wont delve into anything too advanced here, just basic comprehension.

Here is your statement
Quote:Whatever benefit--if any at all--can be realised by just taking them at the RDA.
If we are merely talking about vitamin intake then why do you give the disclaimer "if any at all"?

Please explain in what context your statement should be viewed for it to be comprehensible.
Find all posts by this user
20-02-2014, 12:10 AM
(20-02-2014 12:05 AM)Chippy Wrote:  You do realise that vitamins are a component of food and that you can meet the RDA by just eating food?
Absolutely, and another bit of basic trivia, are you aware that it is possible to eat food and not meet the RDA?
20-02-2014, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 12:34 AM by Chippy.)
(20-02-2014 12:07 AM)Stevil Wrote:  A lesson in comprehension for you Chippy. Don't worry, we wont delve into anything too advanced here, just basic comprehension.

Yeah right. All you are doing here is advertising your ignorance and poor reading comprehension.

Quote:
Quote:Whatever benefit--if any at all--can be realised by just taking them at the RDA.
If we are merely talking about vitamin intake then why do you give the disclaimer "if any at all"?

Please explain in what context your statement should be viewed for it to be comprehensible.

The context of normal human nutrition.

Just because a person isn't consuming every nutrient at the RDA it doesn't mean they will be sick and from that it follows that consuming every nutrient at the RDA will not necessarily yield any benefit.

If a person has low amounts of melanin and lives in a sunny part of the world and spends lots of time outdoors they don't necessarily need to consume vitamin D at the RDA. So if such a person does start supplementing with vitamin D they will see no benefit hence "if any at all".[1]

You have no clue about this topic.
20-02-2014, 12:24 AM
(20-02-2014 12:10 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 12:05 AM)Chippy Wrote:  You do realise that vitamins are a component of food and that you can meet the RDA by just eating food?
Absolutely, and another bit of basic trivia, are you aware that it is possible to eat food and not meet the RDA?

That's not trivia it is a truism. It is like saying "are you aware that it is possible to drink water but not enough water". You are a fucking idiot.
20-02-2014, 12:35 AM
(19-02-2014 11:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If they do not help towards depression then they are irrelevant for that condition.
The RDA level of vitamins will thus do nothing to alleviate a patient from their depression (even if they happen to be deficient).

Finally, you stated it correctly. My job here is done.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
20-02-2014, 12:38 AM
(20-02-2014 12:22 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
Quote:If we are merely talking about vitamin intake then why do you give the disclaimer "if any at all"?

The context of normal human nutrition.
Let me correct you.
Here is the context in which you made this claim
Quote:Yes, depression and anxiety are indeed biochemical but there is no evidence in the form of double-blind placebo controlled clinical trials that taking doses of vitamins and minerals that are orders of magnitude above the RDA will improve anxiety and depression. Whatever benefit--if any at all--can be realised by just taking them at the RDA.

I rest my case!
20-02-2014, 12:38 AM
(20-02-2014 12:35 AM)Youkay Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 11:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If they do not help towards depression then they are irrelevant for that condition.
The RDA level of vitamins will thus do nothing to alleviate a patient from their depression (even if they happen to be deficient).

Finally.
20-02-2014, 12:39 AM
(20-02-2014 12:35 AM)Youkay Wrote:  

Hey Youkay,

Thanks for your input and clarifications. Much appreciated.
20-02-2014, 12:47 AM
(20-02-2014 12:38 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
Quote:Yes, depression and anxiety are indeed biochemical but there is no evidence in the form of double-blind placebo controlled clinical trials that taking doses of vitamins and minerals that are orders of magnitude above the RDA will improve anxiety and depression. Whatever benefit--if any at all--can be realised by just taking them at the RDA.

I rest my case!

No, again your reading comprehension is failing you. That is entirely consistent with what I have posted. My use of the phrase "Whatever benefit" indicates that I am not talking specifically about alleviation of the symptoms of anxiety and depression. "Whatever benefit" means "any unspecified benefit" which is the opposite of saying "any reduction in symptoms of anxiety or depression".

You simply don't understand the semantics of common English idioms.