Alla

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 10:45 PM
RE: Alla
(14-02-2014 10:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do they promise some postmortem preservation of identity? 'Cause if they do, I'm not gonna waste time arguing over scat.

The idea of reincarnation is predicated on the subordinate idea that identity--in the form of an immaterial soul--is preserved post-mortem. Hindu reincarnation would be incoherent if identity was not preserved as there would be no continuity between "lives". The "grammar" of reincarnation presumes that some continuity exists between "lives".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
14-02-2014, 10:46 PM
(14-02-2014 10:36 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 10:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Maybe just my opinion but it is kinda more crazy. It wouid be as though those SD whackadoos ran this whole country by their religious beliefs.

Which by their forum, wouid include burning anyone seen as a heretic at the stake.

In terms of net suffering caused, the Hindu system is much worse than the monarchy envisaged by the members of SD. Their monarchy doesn't define an underclass that can neither obtain spiritual salvation or upward social mobility. Remember also that we are not talking all hypotheticals here, there are ~150 million "untouchables" that are denied even such things as the ability to draw water from the same well as even the sudra. The cows are shown more respect and care than the dalit are.

You know, you're completely right. I'd forgotten about the little boy...

Its incomprehensible people can treat others as that and to simply exist without hope.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
14-02-2014, 10:51 PM
(14-02-2014 10:45 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 10:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do they promise some postmortem preservation of identity? 'Cause if they do, I'm not gonna waste time arguing over scat.

The idea of reincarnation is predicated on the subordinate idea that identity--in the form of an immaterial soul--is preserved post-mortem. Hindu reincarnation would be incoherent if identity was not preserved as there would be no continuity between "lives". The "grammar" of reincarnation presumes that some continuity exists between "lives".

You mean I was right...hot damn. Thumbsup

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-02-2014, 10:57 PM
[Image: 6t9_bor_rou_sha.jpg]
source
14-02-2014, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 11:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-02-2014 10:45 PM)Chippy Wrote:  The idea of reincarnation is predicated on the subordinate idea that identity--in the form of an immaterial soul--is preserved post-mortem. Hindu reincarnation would be incoherent if identity was not preserved as there would be no continuity between "lives". The "grammar" of reincarnation presumes that some continuity exists between "lives".

Girly's got a different grammar. ... Being My Own Personal Jesus and shit and whatnot. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-02-2014, 11:01 PM
This is illustrative of the utter contempt with which the dalit are regarded by all other castes: here
14-02-2014, 11:19 PM
If India replaced Hinduism with Mormonism the net quantity of suffering in India would decrease signficantly simply because the ~150 million dalit would no longer be deemed an underclass and they would get a fairer share of India's GDP. On that basis alone little IndianAtheist should just shut the fuck up with his incessant cut-and-paste of anti-Mormon material.
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
14-02-2014, 11:43 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 11:51 PM by DLJ.)
(14-02-2014 11:19 PM)Chippy Wrote:  ... On that basis alone little IndianAtheist should just shut the fuck up with his incessant cut-and-paste of anti-Mormon material.

More bullshit!

Pointing out a latent hypocrisy is one thing and the benefit of someone highlighting that we are living in a bubble or are a product of our environment is something for which we should be grateful but that should not and does not negate our right to speak or express an opinion on other topics.

Meanwhile, I want to say thanks Thumbsup to whichever mod reinstated Chippy's censored post. Sanity has prevailed.

Taq, you have good stuff to say about Siddhartha's views on reincarnation and presumably some knowledge regarding early Hindu stuff too. Can't we get some of that?

IndianAtheist: I for one, would be interested in your views on Indian culture irrespective of your caste-status.

Earmuffs... fucking earmuffs!

Meanwhile, for the semantically-minded, here is a side debate (from the QI aficionados... vid and discussion) over whether 'holy' or 'sacred' is the right word for 'cows'.

14-02-2014, 11:48 PM
(14-02-2014 10:24 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 10:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hinduism ain't no more or less fucked up than any other metaphysics which presume some bullshit promise of some postmortem preservation of identity. ... shit ain't happening. ...

Sorry but this just isn't true. Neither Christianity nor Islam mandate a caste system.

Fair enough. Thumbsup Now tickle Gilry's Buddhist ass testicles ... errr I mean tendencies.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-02-2014, 11:53 PM
(14-02-2014 11:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  More bullshit!

Pointing out a latent hypocrisy is one thing and the benefit of someone highlighting that we are living in a bubble or are a product of our environment is something for which we should be grateful but that should not and does not negate our right to speak or express an opinion on other topics.

"Rights" language is inapplicable here, there is no "right" to defend or abrogate. It is entirely a matter of rational warrant, consistency and good faith.

Quote:Meanwhile, I want to say thanks Thumbsup to whichever mod reinstated Chippy's censored post. Sanity has prevailed.

I reinstated it after the thread was unlocked. I used sporehux's reply to recreate it.
So no credit goes to the mods.