Alla

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 07:25 PM
RE: Alla
(20-02-2014 01:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Meanwhile, I was thinking about solutions to the caste issue.

The Dalits do the dirtiest work, e.g. emptying latrines of higher-caste shit is one of their jobs[1][2], so until India has a widespread sewage system there isn't going to be a rush to relieve them even of this demeaning task.

Below is a Dalit at work, emptying a latrine of shit. He is literally up to his neck in shit.

[Image: Manual-scavenging-dalit-509x270.jpg]
source

Watch this video to see what I am talking about. Note also the usual higher-caste denialism that you also witnessed in this thread.

Here is another video.

The caste system has too many beneficiaries--just like Little Dinesh and Big Dinesh--and India doesn't have much external pressure to change so the system will persist. Indian society is based on the exploitation of Dalits, it isn't just a peripheral aberration, it is a foundational base that extends even to such basic things as human waste removal.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 03:41 AM
(20-02-2014 07:25 PM)Chippy Wrote:  ...
Watch this video to see what I am talking about.

Mate, we are not all as blissfully unaware as you earlier implied.

My birthplace had shit jobs (literally) up to and beyond the 'Dickensian period'.

The sewage systems in e.g. London were, I'm sure you know, installed two centuries back following an increased sense of urgency after cholera epidemics and The Great Stink which had an adverse impact on trade (and whatever version of tourism there was then).

I echo your pessimism but I am wondering, what would it take for things to change (other than or including those elements that I mentioned in my earlier post)?

If it needs, amongst other things, a civil rights movement. What do you suggest IndianAtheist and other members of the educated, socially-aware classes should do?

Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2014, 05:13 AM
I think we as non-Indians need to increase public awareness... a lot. When a majority of people internationally greatly oppose this immoral, inhumane system, I think that political measures which are in alignment with pupblic indignation will follow, forcing the Indian government to oblige to outside pressure.

In my opinion, this is the sole strategy for any humanitarian crisis that happens in a part of the world we do not have access to individually (meaning, I can't think of another way).

Or is this wishful thinking?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user