Allegory and Metaphor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Allegory and Metaphor
Just thinking about the common apologetic that God inspired a metaphoral/allegorial bible, and I was wondered why would he do so? What reason could he have for writing a bible that did not mean what it said?
God should have known that his followers would diverge, and begin believing different (and if God exists, wrong) beliefs about christianity.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2011, 12:28 AM

RE: Allegory and Metaphor
"Because god does what he wants." Or, "It's the beauty of it, this is the test he gives us to pass into heaven."
Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Those don't seem like particularly rational responses, to me at least. Because he does what he wants isn't an actual reason for doing something, and willful ignorance doesn't seem particularly beautiful or in general smart.
Have any of you thought about this before, it only just occured to me.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

16-05-2011, 12:48 AM
"God has his reasons, after all he's outside time & space, and he is beyond human understanding..."

Well thats the most common answer I've heard from fundies regarding this issue. But anyway, thats when christian argument "shit the bed" IMO; Why the hell god, as an omnipotent and omniscient being, choose to spread its message using an ancient text written by middle east goat herders during the bronze age knowing that it could be wrongly translated by imperfect humans?

And even If the apologetic argument I mentioned is true; Why many christians claim they have a better understanding about how god works if they already imbued him with those attributes? How can this god who is outside time, space and human comprehension, could be understood by a select few who are aware of those attributes given to that entity? And then, they try to prove the existence of god using only the bible, its like if I try to prove the existence of Jor-El using Superman comics.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2011, 01:03 AM

(16-05-2011 12:44 AM)daemonowner Wrote:  Those don't seem like particularly rational responses, to me at least. Because he does what he wants isn't an actual reason for doing something, and willful ignorance doesn't seem particularly beautiful or in general smart.
Have any of you thought about this before, it only just occured to me.

I was being sarcastic. But no, I've never thought about it before.

(16-05-2011 12:48 AM)MasterRottweiler Wrote:  And even If the apologetic argument I mentioned is true; Why many christians claim they have a better understanding about how god works if they already imbued him with those attributes? How can this god who is outside time, space and human comprehension, could be understood by a select few who are aware of those attributes given to that entity? And then, they try to prove the existence of god using only the bible, its like if I try to prove the existence of Jor-El using Superman comics.

Because god told them so. Maybe if we read the bible us atheists would understand what can't be understood.
16-05-2011, 01:09 AM
bird, I wasn't presuming that those were your actual opinions, by the way.

16-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I see no real way out of that. They throw out excuses like "It's a test" or "God's wisdom is beyond ours". Lovely non-answers like those. But then again, God has always been very secretive. He chose to release all his information in esoteric metaphors to a bunch of goat herders in an age of rampant illiteracy in a very closed and boxed-in area of the world, completely ignoring all the people around the globe and in the future. Clearly, if god exists, he's laughing his ass off at us, because no semi-intelligent being would do that with the purpose of informing the world of his existence.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
16-05-2011, 11:26 AM

First, let's remember that the stories in scripture are alleged recordings of things that happened and were said prior to their being written down. With that in mind, people told stories in allegory to help remember things.

The difficulty is that once it is admitted that people told stories and parables in an effort to remember things, and then recorded them after that fashion, we have to question the competence of the God to whom those stories supposedly refer. Afterall, if God inspired those events being talked about and written about, it would stand to reason that he could inspire their conveyance in such a manner as to be understandable timelessly. Since that is not the case, we are left with acknowledging that people recorded these stories, events, and sayings in an effort to preserve their beliefs. They are therefore not in any way indications of divinity so much as they are indications of people's conceptions of divinity during that period in history.
18-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Several Christians wondered why I went from being a Pentecostal straight to atheism rather than going to liberal Christianity as some sort of compromise. This thread points out the sole reason, if the Bible is not the unadulterated Word of God, then why isn't it? An all powerful, all-knowing being would be fully capable of assuring that no man would be able to corrupt his message to humanity.

If the Bible had errors and contradictions (and it was becoming quite obvious that it did...) then what would be the point of giving it any merit at all? I couldn't accept the typical Christian response that some parts are inspired and others aren't because no one could give me criteria for telling the difference between the good and bad parts that made sense. Their response was so touchy-feely that it was nothing more than "do what you feel like." They were obvious creating their god in their own image, not the other way around. I could never accept that any deity worked that way.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user