Allergy shots

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Allergy shots
So I was tested for allergies today. I'm allergic to everything. You name it, I'm allergic to it. Mold and dust are the main things.

Sigh.

I'll be getting shots once a week for a while and then when I reach a certain point I'll be giving self injections which they will teach me how to do. Has anyone else done allergy shots. Did it work? I know it's a long term commitment and I'm more than willing to do this. All the oral medications and nasal sprays I'm taking just aren't cutting it anymore.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2015, 04:39 PM
RE: Allergy shots
(04-08-2015 03:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I was tested for allergies today. I'm allergic to everything. You name it, I'm allergic to it. Mold and dust are the main things.

Sigh.

I'll be getting shots once a week for a while and then when I reach a certain point I'll be giving self injections which they will teach me how to do. Has anyone else done allergy shots. Did it work? I know it's a long term commitment and I'm more than willing to do this. All the oral medications and nasal sprays I'm taking just aren't cutting it anymore.

My sister goes every couple weeks for allergy shots. I haven't gone that route but it may be something I look into at some point.

She is also allergic to many things...most of all cats...she has six. Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-08-2015, 05:23 PM
(04-08-2015 03:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So I was tested for allergies today. I'm allergic to everything. You name it, I'm allergic to it. Mold and dust are the main things.

Sigh.

Yes, been there done that, in my 30's, & I seldom have an issue now & I'm 68. Was also allergic to ''everything'', including my beloved cats. Was told to get rid of my cats, I said, no, & I'm fine now. It varies with people of course, but it was great for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Mrs.B's post
04-08-2015, 06:06 PM
(04-08-2015 04:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Sigh.

My sister goes every couple weeks for allergy shots. I haven't gone that route but it may be something I look into at some point.

Ok, I'll bite. Why does she...?
04-08-2015, 06:16 PM
(04-08-2015 06:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 04:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My sister goes every couple weeks for allergy shots. I haven't gone that route but it may be something I look into at some point.

Ok, I'll bite. Why does she...?

She lived in an apartment and wanted a pet - something easier than a dog for apartment living in Chicago. So she ended up with two cats...Tigger and Jasmine. Niece moved out on her own and got two cats...Puff and Twitch. Niece moved back home and back out a few times so often the four cats were together. When niece was out on her own my sister was feeding a stray that then apparently moved away. The next stray to become a regular got integrated into the household. However, Tigger and Jasmine don't like Hobo. So sister got Larry to keep him company.

Then niece moved in with highly allergic boyfriend...so back went Puff and Twitch. Now niece is back home...again.

Luckily my sister works from home - now a house in the burbs where three cats is the legal limit. Good thing she's home a lot since she is in charge of five litter boxes. Blink

I sent her a Crazy Cat Lady action figure a couple years ago for Christmas. Tongue

This is what happens when you are raised by a veterinarian that didn't believe in house pets. (I have six pets and my brother has often had three or more.)

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
04-08-2015, 06:46 PM
(04-08-2015 06:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 06:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  Ok, I'll bite. Why does she...?

She lived in an apartment and wanted a pet - something easier than a dog for apartment living in Chicago. So she ended up with two cats...Tigger and Jasmine. Niece moved out on her own and got two cats...Puff and Twitch. Niece moved back home and back out a few times so often the four cats were together. When niece was out on her own my sister was feeding a stray that then apparently moved away. The next stray to become a regular got integrated into the household. However, Tigger and Jasmine don't like Hobo. So sister got Larry to keep him company.

Then niece moved in with highly allergic boyfriend...so back went Puff and Twitch. Now niece is back home...again.

Luckily my sister works from home - now a house in the burbs where three cats is the legal limit. Good thing she's home a lot since she is in charge of five litter boxes. Blink

I sent her a Crazy Cat Lady action figure a couple years ago for Christmas. Tongue

This is what happens when you are raised by a veterinarian that didn't believe in house pets. (I have six pets and my brother has often had three or more.)

Does Crazy Cat Lady action figure have Kung-Fu Grip for picking up litter boxes? Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
04-08-2015, 07:21 PM
(04-08-2015 06:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 06:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  Ok, I'll bite. Why does she...?

I have four dogs (2 german shepherd/doberman mixes, a lab/bull terrier mix, and a Rhodesian Ridgeback) and a cat. I didn't mean to have this many--just rescued them and then fell in love with them, so I kept them. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
04-08-2015, 07:30 PM

Sigh.

I was miserable while getting allergy shots. And probably like you, when the skin testing was done it seemed that I was allergic to almost everything. I thankfully gave them up due to the difficulty of going to appointments to receive the shots when I was a college student. I continued to suffer form allergies for years after that, but less so than when I received shots. I have found that years later, my allergies seemed to have subsided on their own and now only have minor allergy symptoms once in a while. They used to be what most would consider rather severe. An occasional allergy pill now and then when minor symptoms come about seems to do the trick--nothing worked to control my allergies while I was getting shots.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
05-08-2015, 07:33 PM
(04-08-2015 07:30 PM)BryanS Wrote:  

Sigh.

I was miserable while getting allergy shots. And probably like you, when the skin testing was done it seemed that I was allergic to almost everything. I thankfully gave them up due to the difficulty of going to appointments to receive the shots when I was a college student. I continued to suffer form allergies for years after that, but less so than when I received shots. I have found that years later, my allergies seemed to have subsided on their own and now only have minor allergy symptoms once in a while. They used to be what most would consider rather severe. An occasional allergy pill now and then when minor symptoms come about seems to do the trick--nothing worked to control my allergies while I was getting shots.

My allergies have gotten so bad that my sinuses have been continually inflamed for several years. Nasal steroids and Allegra helped but not enough. I finally had to have my sinuses operated on. I had a deviated septum which was straightened and turbinate reduction with a small turbinate bone removed, so now I can actually breath through my nose. This is great but I'm breathing in more pollen than ever.

They'll teach me how to give myself the allergy shots so I don't have to go into the clinic every week. They've found that if the allergy patient learn how to self inject there's a greater success rate. I don't think I'll have any problem self injecting. Stuff like that doesn't bother me .

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-08-2015, 08:29 PM
(05-08-2015 07:33 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 07:30 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I was miserable while getting allergy shots. And probably like you, when the skin testing was done it seemed that I was allergic to almost everything. I thankfully gave them up due to the difficulty of going to appointments to receive the shots when I was a college student. I continued to suffer form allergies for years after that, but less so than when I received shots. I have found that years later, my allergies seemed to have subsided on their own and now only have minor allergy symptoms once in a while. They used to be what most would consider rather severe. An occasional allergy pill now and then when minor symptoms come about seems to do the trick--nothing worked to control my allergies while I was getting shots.

My allergies have gotten so bad that my sinuses have been continually inflamed for several years. Nasal steroids and Allegra helped but not enough. I finally had to have my sinuses operated on. I had a deviated septum which was straightened and turbinate reduction with a small turbinate bone removed, so now I can actually breath through my nose. This is great but I'm breathing in more pollen than ever.

They'll teach me how to give myself the allergy shots so I don't have to go into the clinic every week. They've found that if the allergy patient learn how to self inject there's a greater success rate. I don't think I'll have any problem self injecting. Stuff like that doesn't bother me .

My experience was that I felt worse while receiving shots. That's something you should be prepared for (and something I was told could happen with treatment). You are after all treating your allergies by injecting yourself with allergens in an attempt to build up immunity. I don't think this ever worked for me (my own experience, perhaps others have had different experiences). My allergies sounded a bit like your situation before I started shots, but things got worse for me after starting treatment.

I had multiple incidents where my eyes were so swollen I couldn't see, and I would have frequent asthma attacks that had to be treated with an inhaler. I would go on continuous sneezing bouts for hours on end and would have frequent nose bleeds due to the constant irritation of my nasal passages. Not one of these symptoms have occurred in recent years. I'd say it was around 5 years time after ceasing allergy shots that I started feeling like a normal person, so I wouldn't attribute my improvement to the allergy shots "building my tolerance". I don't have an explanation for my improvement other than attributing it to what some doctors told me about allergies and asthma (that some people "grow out of them" or see lessoning of symptoms after childhood). Now I just take a generic claritin once in a while for mild symptoms, and a half dose of generic benadryl if I get particularly sneezy.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post