Alpha Sigma Sigma(ASS) should be this frat's name

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 11:55 AM
RE: Alpha Sigma Sigma(ASS) should be this frat's name
(10-03-2015 11:10 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 09:33 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Freedom of Speech means freedom from government interference (and even then, within reason). Last I checked, the government wasn't censoring them. Even here they still had the freedom to say what they wanted. But freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. As both college students and fraternity members, they voluntarily give up a certain amount of their freedom whenever they joined these groups. Not at all dissimilar to how your employer can place restrictions and expectations on you when you're hired. The government can't prevent you from mouthing off to a customer, but they likewise won't stop your employer from firing you over it either.

Once again, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

So, you give up your right to free expression when you attend a university? I call bullshit. Free expression is what universities are built on. Or, at least they were before they became money sucking PC machines.

Secondly, the consequences I was responding to were those proposed by the state funded and run university. So, yes, this is an exact example of the state punishing speech. The national fraternity can do what they want, they are a private entity. The school, however, is not.

That aside, I'm one again stunned at how quick so many of this community are to advocate for the punishment of speech you disagree with. I throw out blasphemy laws and the threat of punishment for taking an atheistic position in public, and you all stand up and complain about your rights. I throw out the right to say "nigger" and you all run for cover and throw out bullshit arguments about consequences. I've got news for you - it's the same rights in play. And, there are people who consider pushing non belief of god the same as what these idiots did.

I'm curious what the reaction would be if this story was about these guys chanting about not accepting atheists. What if everything else was the same but that? The protests, the prayer vigils, the consequences - how do you think this thread would read under those circumstances? I've got a pretty good guess on that. It certainly wouldn't have the widespread condemnation and applause we've seen so far.

Once you accept that you can bully someone into silence, you've accepted it as a concept. There will always be people offended.

I was on this thread to comment almost exactly the same thing but with a twist. Now these guys have been expelled for saying this racist chant....now what??? This does not fix the problem of having this racist mindset hell it makes it worst. The only thing this has done has made them either hate blacks more and/or make sure to be more careful about what they say around certain folks. It does NOT stop them from passing on this kind of mentality to their kids. Just simply shutting folks up simply because they said something you didn't like is part of the problem. Like you said having free speech means you have assholes saying asshole things but instead of just arbitrarily kicking them out and closing down the frat why not explain to them why this is wrong? Get some counselling going on in this freaking place. Because I guarantee that this is not the only club/frat that has this kind of mentality at this university. All they've done is suppress people and all that does is make them more reluctant to listen to why this is wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like MrKrispy601's post