Alright. I'm converting to atheism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2017, 01:23 PM
RE: Alright. I'm converting to atheism.
(07-05-2017 01:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  A person can also lack a belief that God does not exist, without holding a belief that God does not exist, like I lack a belief in whether you have a son.
[Image: image_zps1gfzfr9b.png]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
07-05-2017, 01:24 PM
(07-05-2017 01:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 01:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Atheism is belief or lack of belief that God does not exist.

Just to let you know Tomatillo, that sentence makes no fucking sense. That is all.

Actually it makes (possibly) sense in two ways:

"Atheism is belief or lack of belief that God does not exist
or
"Atheism is belief or lack of belief that God does not exist

It takes a lot of stupid to write something that makes no sense, and the only two possible ways it does make sense, you are wrong.

P.S.: And the third way he is wrong is that atheism is the rejection of any god, not just "God". Facepalm

A lot of stupid, i tell ya. Mountains of stupid.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 6 users Like Deesse23's post
07-05-2017, 01:25 PM
(07-05-2017 01:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  A person can believe God does not exist.

A person can also lack a belief that God does not exist, without holding a belief that God does not exist, like I lack a belief in whether you have a son.

In both cases the person would be an atheist. Though traditionally the latter would be considered an agnostic, and the former an atheist.

The term "atheist" simply means "non-theist," just like "asymmetrical" means "non-symmetrical" and "asymptomatic" means "without symptoms". It's really no more complicated than that.

"Lacking a belief in something that does not exist" is just meaningless word-salad.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
07-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Please stay on topic, everyone.
07-05-2017, 01:27 PM
(07-05-2017 01:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Please stay on topic, everyone.

You are boring and old news...bye now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
(07-05-2017 01:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  A person can also lack a belief that God does not exist, without holding a belief that God does not exist, like I lack a belief in whether you have a son.

He is even wrong in a wrong analogy. Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
07-05-2017, 01:30 PM
(07-05-2017 12:52 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Alright. I'm converting to atheism.

After reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens's God is not Great, I've decided that I should reject God altogether. Atheism is the path of the truth.

So please tell me... How on earth can I live my life knowing I'm destined to be nothing more than a rotting corpse? How on earth do I live a life without any fucking meaning? And what the fuck is the point of having morals if there are no incentives to it?

I admire all of you, for living such worthless, meaningless, pathetic lives without shooting yourselves in the head. I really, truly, admire all of you.

So what's your secret for not blowing up your brains? I want to learn from the masters themselves.

This is something that you can never experience because you have no brains of your own to blow out. Your a nasty troll for Jesus and your welcome here has worn very thin.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-05-2017, 01:31 PM
(07-05-2017 01:26 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Please stay on topic, everyone.

Socking troll.

07-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Please stop being mean. I came here for meaningful discussion.

I am simply asking how to live a life of no purpose or meaning whatsoever. I'm in love with Friedrich Nietzsche.
07-05-2017, 01:35 PM
(07-05-2017 01:25 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  The term "atheist" simply means "non-theist," just like "asymmetrical" means "non-symmetrical" and "asymptomatic" means "without symptoms". It's really no more complicated than that.

"Lacking a belief in something that does not exist" is just meaningless word-salad.

The common definition of atheism is either a lack of belief that God does not exist, or a belief that God does not exist.

If I don't possess a belief that x exist, then I lack a belief that x exist.

IS it "a lack of belief" that you find to be a meaningless word-salad, such is if I were to say that I lack a belief as to whether you're married. Or is the problem that "lack of belief" is being applied to "exist" that you find problematic?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."