Alright. I'm converting to atheism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2017, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2017 08:29 AM by kim.)
RE: Alright. I'm converting to atheism.
(07-05-2017 01:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The common definition of atheism is either a lack of belief that God does not exist...
No ... it would be, a lack of faith or belief in the existence of a god.

Are you also one of those idiots people who thinks irregardless is a word? If so, then I think I see the problem.
Irregardless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795. Most dictionaries list it as nonstandard or incorrect usage, and recommend that "regardless" should be used instead.

(07-05-2017 01:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  , or a belief that God does not exist.
---

Not that I would quibble but, I would simply state it as, one who states there is no god.

There is a difference in the following:

I don't think or believe there is a god.
- With this statement comes both possibility and uncertainty. Doubt.
This would be an agnostic atheist.

There is not a god.
- With this statement there is no possibility, there is only certainty. No doubt.
This would be a strong atheist ... I like, hardcore atheist. Angel

These are statements of uncertainty and certainty and there are distinct differences. Ask any lawyer.
One can either: believe in existence or not believe in existence.
However, one would be unable to not believe in nonexistence. <-- this makes zero sense. Re: irregardless.

Though, I might agree that you Tomasi, believe in something non existent, I myself, would never not believe in a nonexistent thing. I would just think the thing does not exist and go my way. Maybe it's people like you Tomasi, who make many atheists go hardcore. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Where did I mention his education? He really didn't seem to have any interest whatsoever in even hearing what people were saying. He was just here to vomit bile all over the place. And yet, people did reply in quite a bit of detail about "why the hell are you atheists" and "what is the meaning of your pathetic, empty lives" (those are near quotes)

There are so many serious debates these hypothetic guests can watch, we don't have to write thesis papers every time a troll shows his ugly face and starts throwing his feces around.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
08-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Did he invite all his religious buddies to come here for a looksee ? I didn't know that, he can't be that bright to do that as he was even dumber and more incompetent at debate than I am Shocking We are still talking about zombo right ?
08-05-2017, 07:40 AM
I really hate how humans use language sometimes.

Nobody "converts" to anything. Most humans get sold the social norms of their parents before they can formulate adult critical thinking skills.

You don't convert, like a folding table or a Transformer. You switch your position, like leaving one store in a mall to enter another store in that same mall, or you leave the mall entirely.

You can certainly have reasons for going from "on" on god claims to "off" but that is not a conversion or de-conversion anymore than a light switch can go from being a light switch to becoming a frog.

Same with dumping one religion for another. You don't "convert" you switch, like changing your hat or coat.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
08-05-2017, 07:41 AM
(08-05-2017 07:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I woke up this morning thinking that we might have lost out on a teachable moment. If indeed there were 300 guests as someone said as our “new atheist” was posting (no doubt many his invitees to the gladiator games here at TTA) we could have done a better job of dismantling his view of what an atheist is or thinks in front of them.

It occurs to me that one of us should have invited Zombo into the cage for a one on one discourse. Most of us here could have handed him his head on a platter in the arena while his buddies watched. It didn’t occur to me until this morning. Confused

Maybe next time. Consider

I've thought something similar before too. I have two suggestions:

First, maybe make it a typical greeting/suggestion, like we do with the introduction threads. I think we would want to word it as an invitation rather than a challenge.

While the sub-forum names are appropriate (Coliseum, Boxing Ring, Vipers Pit) they seem, to me, kind of combative/confrontational for an initial discussion.

Maybe something like "1:1 Talks" or something?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
08-05-2017, 07:48 AM
(08-05-2017 07:41 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 07:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I woke up this morning thinking that we might have lost out on a teachable moment. If indeed there were 300 guests as someone said as our “new atheist” was posting (no doubt many his invitees to the gladiator games here at TTA) we could have done a better job of dismantling his view of what an atheist is or thinks in front of them.

It occurs to me that one of us should have invited Zombo into the cage for a one on one discourse. Most of us here could have handed him his head on a platter in the arena while his buddies watched. It didn’t occur to me until this morning. Confused

I've thought something similar before too. I have two suggestions:

First, maybe make it a typical greeting/suggestion, like we do with the introduction threads. I think we would want to word it as an invitation rather than a challenge.

While the sub-forum names are appropriate (Coliseum, Boxing Ring, Vipers Pit) they seem, to me, kind of combative/confrontational for an initial discussion.

Maybe something like "1:1 Talks" or something?

That’s what I’m thinking. When Zombo posted that last OP our knee-jerk reaction was to tell him to fuck off, it should have occurred to me to invite him to a 1:1 “exchange of ideas”. Evil_monster

I’ll mention the name change/addition to the FT and see what they think. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-05-2017, 07:52 AM
(07-05-2017 12:52 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Alright. I'm converting to atheism.

After reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and Christopher Hitchens's God is not Great, I've decided that I should reject God altogether. Atheism is the path of the truth.

So please tell me... How on earth can I live my life knowing I'm destined to be nothing more than a rotting corpse? How on earth do I live a life without any fucking meaning? And what the fuck is the point of having morals if there are no incentives to it?

I admire all of you, for living such worthless, meaningless, pathetic lives without shooting yourselves in the head. I really, truly, admire all of you.

So what's your secret for not blowing up your brains? I want to learn from the masters themselves.

Aw Angel that's so sweet.

I so delight in the way religious people express their love, respect, and humanity for those who know not their precious ... uh ... whatever it is Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
08-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Alright. I'm converting to atheism.
I have gotten to the point whereI will help someone out who needs help and wants help. I will have an actual discussion explaining my "Atheist world view" for lack of a better term. But I will not beat my head against a brick wall, ever. Just for the sake of arguing with a theist who has made up their mind on faith. Once they have "Faith", there is nothing we can do to help them. They are untouchable. So yes, I might tell them to piss off because they are a waste of time. The irony is, there is no saving these people even though they think they are the ones being "Saved". Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post
08-05-2017, 08:08 AM
(08-05-2017 07:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I woke up this morning thinking that we might have lost out on a teachable moment.

It'll be back soon enough. The teachable moment was recognizing it as the same troll that keeps coming back for more.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
08-05-2017, 08:34 AM
(08-05-2017 08:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-05-2017 07:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I woke up this morning thinking that we might have lost out on a teachable moment.

It'll be back soon enough. The teachable moment was recognizing it as the same troll that keeps coming back for more.

Zombies...can’t keep ‘em down.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post