Alright can I be honest here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 08:44 AM
RE: Alright can I be honest here
(27-10-2014 08:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  No worries my young friend, the search for meaning in one's own life takes many paths.

Please stick around and continue to question everything.

Um no. It is one thing to find something to do to fill your time and life to give yourself a sense of meaning. It is quite another to fill it with a placebo crutch, which is what all religions are.

NO, I am not talking about human rights here. I am talking about facts and logic. Finding something just to be a part of something is far too often done by humans through gap filling and flawed perceptions.

Our species has always gap filled. Our evolution leads us to form groups. Those groups provide cooperation, safety in numbers, access to resources, and more opportunity to produce offspring. Unfortunately in our species evolution, that group forming can be centered around a completely false belief. Just like the Ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centering their lives around fictional gods.

The only useful thing about religion to be studied is the lesson of how flawed perceptions can lead to bad conclusions.

We have tons of dead myths and dead gods no one believes in anymore. We also know scientifically that thoughts cannot occur without a biological material structure. Just like speed cannot happen without a car. Just like we do not need claims of Thor to explain lightening. Just like we do not need Poseidon to explain the cause of hurricanes.

You can "find" yourself without god claims, superstition, or a religion. Go where the facts lead, not where you want them to go. Outside that, just be yourself, don't find something just to fit in. Do not mistake appeal as factual.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-10-2014, 09:30 AM
(27-10-2014 08:33 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Like really honest, and be easy because I know I am going to get yelled at for saying this but

I have thought about becoming a theist again[Image: phoenix-sheepisha.gif]

And Y e s.
You can be honest here.

(Hug)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
28-10-2014, 12:39 PM
For those asking, it is for a community, seeing as I need to find more friends.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-10-2014, 12:41 PM
(28-10-2014 12:39 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  For those asking, it is for a community, seeing as I need to find more friends.

A sense of community is a big part of the church. And leaving can create a huge sense of loss. Many have trouble being alone.

28-10-2014, 12:46 PM
(28-10-2014 12:41 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 12:39 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  For those asking, it is for a community, seeing as I need to find more friends.

A sense of community is a big part of the church. And leaving can create a huge sense of loss. Many have trouble being alone.

I was never part of a church even in my theist days, but I at least felt something was out there to keep me company.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-10-2014, 12:48 PM
(28-10-2014 12:46 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 12:41 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  A sense of community is a big part of the church. And leaving can create a huge sense of loss. Many have trouble being alone.

I was never part of a church even in my theist days, but I at least felt something was out there to keep me company.

Join a civic organization or a volunteer non-profit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
28-10-2014, 12:50 PM
(28-10-2014 12:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 12:46 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I was never part of a church even in my theist days, but I at least felt something was out there to keep me company.

Join a civic organization or a volunteer non-profit.

Aren't many around here, and those that are have people I already know it it.

28-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Join a Meetup group. They have every kind of group. Hiking, biking, stamp collecting, poker playing, watching movies. Hell, start your own Meetup group....the "Former Theist Who Needs Some Friends" Meetup group. Thumbsup

I'm part of about three meetups. One is a contemplative hiking group, another is a reading club, the third is a group dedicated to being just plain fun and silly and that's my favorite one.

Meetup.com

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-10-2014, 01:07 PM
(28-10-2014 12:50 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 12:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Join a civic organization or a volunteer non-profit.

Aren't many around here, and those that are have people I already know it it.

Find a cause you're passionate about & get busy. If theres not an organization near you...start one.
You can do it!

28-10-2014, 01:16 PM
My brothers used to go to the youth group at a church about a mile from our house. We were raised secular. We lived in the middle of no where and they knew some of the kids who went from school. Free food, goofing off with friends and having something/anything to do once a week that didnt involve asking for a ride was all they needed.

They were able to ignore the bullshit.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post