Alright can I be honest here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: Alright can I be honest here
Out of curiosity, is your atheist realization fairly new? I only ask because it may be a normal feeling. Sometimes atheists do feel like the odd duck because it hits them... I'm one of the few free thinkers around this area. My area has so many churches and pagan groups that being an atheist isn't exactly something you can discuss often.

Although you may not have had church groups for companionship (I didn't, either), sometimes atheism can make you feel a bit alone. It's like that old joke about being the only sober driver in a car full of drunks. But this time the car is holding a few thousand people. Companionship is a human thing; we're a social animal that at some point needs that. I'd suggest finding a group that doesn't specifically have atheists or even atheism as its goal. I know it sounds contradictory, and someone might bring up religion, but at least you'd have a common interest. I have a group of fellow artists, and thankfully religion isn't brought up.

On the other hand, if you're contemplating a higher spiritual entity, then atheism might just be a stepping stone. Nothing wrong with that. It's your journey, not mine. It may be that you've realized that your former theist collection of beliefs didn't match what you were thinking. It's similar to a Catholic becoming a Protestant. I'd wager that many of us here had that step, too. Whatever we believed didn't make sense, we looked for something else, maybe a couple times. Between each of those, what were we?

Another possibility is that you have some level of depression. Not being able to find birds of a feather or similar interests might have stirred up those feelings.

No matter what it is, I think you're safe to think out loud here. I'm new here, and no one hates me. Yet.
Smile

One last thought: if you want friends around you, why not start a cult? You'll get lots of money and hotties to form a harem. Just a thought.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2014, 06:51 PM
(28-10-2014 06:06 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Out of curiosity, is your atheist realization fairly new? I only ask because it may be a normal feeling. Sometimes atheists do feel like the odd duck because it hits them... I'm one of the few free thinkers around this area. My area has so many churches and pagan groups that being an atheist isn't exactly something you can discuss often.

Although you may not have had church groups for companionship (I didn't, either), sometimes atheism can make you feel a bit alone. It's like that old joke about being the only sober driver in a car full of drunks. But this time the car is holding a few thousand people. Companionship is a human thing; we're a social animal that at some point needs that. I'd suggest finding a group that doesn't specifically have atheists or even atheism as its goal. I know it sounds contradictory, and someone might bring up religion, but at least you'd have a common interest. I have a group of fellow artists, and thankfully religion isn't brought up.

On the other hand, if you're contemplating a higher spiritual entity, then atheism might just be a stepping stone. Nothing wrong with that. It's your journey, not mine. It may be that you've realized that your former theist collection of beliefs didn't match what you were thinking. It's similar to a Catholic becoming a Protestant. I'd wager that many of us here had that step, too. Whatever we believed didn't make sense, we looked for something else, maybe a couple times. Between each of those, what were we?

Another possibility is that you have some level of depression. Not being able to find birds of a feather or similar interests might have stirred up those feelings.

No matter what it is, I think you're safe to think out loud here. I'm new here, and no one hates me. Yet.
Smile

One last thought: if you want friends around you, why not start a cult? You'll get lots of money and hotties to form a harem. Just a thought.

I have been an atheist for 2 years

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-10-2014, 07:39 PM
If you wanna go sing with the self-deluded folks I say you should do it. Not my cup o' tea, but whatever, gotta have your vices I suppose.

28-10-2014, 07:59 PM
But are you being a theist or an imposter?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-10-2014, 08:11 PM
(28-10-2014 07:59 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  But are you being a theist or an imposter?

Yeah, this is where I get confused too.

It's not an easy task to go from an atheist to a theist. If you are going just for companionship, what will happen when they find out you don't believe? Or will you force yourself to believe something you don't?

I'm all for you exploring your options, but don't sacrifice who you are, or what you believe to fit in. It isn't worth it No

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
28-10-2014, 08:12 PM
(28-10-2014 08:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 07:59 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  But are you being a theist or an imposter?

Yeah, this is where I get confused too.

It's not an easy task to go from an atheist to a theist. If you are going just for companionship, what will happen when they find out you don't believe? Or will you force yourself to believe something you don't?

I'm all for you exploring your options, but don't sacrifice who you are, or what you believe to fit in. It isn't worth it No

Im not going to lie, I don't care much about being myself anymore.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-10-2014, 08:23 PM
(28-10-2014 08:44 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(27-10-2014 08:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  No worries my young friend, the search for meaning in one's own life takes many paths.

Please stick around and continue to question everything.

Um no. It is one thing to find something to do to fill your time and life to give yourself a sense of meaning. It is quite another to fill it with a placebo crutch, which is what all religions are.

NO, I am not talking about human rights here. I am talking about facts and logic. Finding something just to be a part of something is far too often done by humans through gap filling and flawed perceptions.

Our species has always gap filled. Our evolution leads us to form groups. Those groups provide cooperation, safety in numbers, access to resources, and more opportunity to produce offspring. Unfortunately in our species evolution, that group forming can be centered around a completely false belief. Just like the Ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centering their lives around fictional gods.

The only useful thing about religion to be studied is the lesson of how flawed perceptions can lead to bad conclusions.

We have tons of dead myths and dead gods no one believes in anymore. We also know scientifically that thoughts cannot occur without a biological material structure. Just like speed cannot happen without a car. Just like we do not need claims of Thor to explain lightening. Just like we do not need Poseidon to explain the cause of hurricanes.

You can "find" yourself without god claims, superstition, or a religion. Go where the facts lead, not where you want them to go. Outside that, just be yourself, don't find something just to fit in. Do not mistake appeal as factual.

You're preaching to the choir bro (that would be me).

But as for young Zeke here he has to find his own way and allowing him to search and question without making him feel ostracized is the right way of approaching this in my opinion.

For whatever the reason the kid is confused, he's been on this board long enough for me to deduce he's not a poe or a troll so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and you should too.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-10-2014, 08:32 PM
(28-10-2014 08:12 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 08:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, this is where I get confused too.

Ok, now we are drilling down to the root of the problem. If you join the theist ranks only because you're lonely you will just be compounding the problem. Faking your personality and beliefs can only end up bad, and make you feel worse. There has to be another way.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like WillHopp's post
29-10-2014, 05:31 AM
(28-10-2014 08:12 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 08:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, this is where I get confused too.

If you're planning to live the rest of your life trying to be someone else just for the sake of making friends (not to mention under false pretences), you won't make things better than they are now, trust me.

People here have mentioned meetups, groups and stuff like that, but you don't even seem to consider them. I'm suspecting there is a different problem here.

As for "becoming a theist", you can't force yourself to believe something. Believing something or not is like an automatic process, you can't choose to believe. You can, however, pretend that you are a theist. But is that really what you want?

What is it exactly that is bothering you?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 7 users Like undergroundp's post
29-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Things I must I must address:

A. I have considered starting a meet-up thing dealing with people into biology, however I must find out where to start.

B. I do want to have a community

C. I don't feel this is something to joke about.