Alright can I be honest here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: Alright can I be honest here
(29-10-2014 04:07 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 03:57 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Japan is expensive in general. Drinking Beverage

Well seeing as they pay people more there and the food is less expensive, even the housing is less, tokyo is a large city, the capital no less so being out side of a big city will not be super expensive.

If this works out for you try and see as much of Asia as you can afford.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 04:16 PM
(29-10-2014 04:11 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:07 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well seeing as they pay people more there and the food is less expensive, even the housing is less, tokyo is a large city, the capital no less so being out side of a big city will not be super expensive.

If this works out for you try and see as much of Asia as you can afford.

Yeah, I will try to go through college, get my career in research of the evolution of animals or as a professor in zoology, get a bigger house, get married, have two kids and live life(or if I am lucky get famous for being smart and blackWink )

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
29-10-2014, 04:51 PM
(29-10-2014 03:33 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 02:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I don't know that I've specifically asked you before; why do you want to go there?

(also: where there?)

Well seeing as it is the second highest scientific place in the world(U.S ranked first, it can by scientist [or in this case could]) with actual scientific interest not including blowing up middle eastern people and it has a lower crime rate. and where I don't know I hope I can go some where nice but not as expensive as tokyo.

Per capita their science funding and output is commensurate with most of the first world, so yeah, I'd expect the third largest economy to be pretty much top of the scales! Incidentally a lot of the work I reviewed for my thesis was from Japan.
(although, China is growing hardcore in that sphere - India too, but they've got even more catching up to do)

Anyway. Tokyo is obscenely expensive - and any part of Kanto even remotely close to the action - and Keihanshin or Nagoya not much better.

What do you like in terms of weather and scenery? Kyushu University is world-class (and has a relatively large foreign student population - a friend of a friend is there) but Fukuoka would be too damn hot for me.

You want my ignorant and unsolicited advice, you'd head up north - Tohoku is where it's at. School-wise there's Tohoku University itself in Sendai, smaller schools in the other prefectures... And the Shinkansen from Tokyo goes all the way to Aomori these days.

Though, you're in Jersey, right? Which is basically a suburb of NYC, except the parts that are suburbs of Philly. Do you like big cities? Or are you indifferent?

... this is my signature!
29-10-2014, 05:18 PM
(29-10-2014 04:51 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 03:33 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well seeing as it is the second highest scientific place in the world(U.S ranked first, it can by scientist [or in this case could]) with actual scientific interest not including blowing up middle eastern people and it has a lower crime rate. and where I don't know I hope I can go some where nice but not as expensive as tokyo.

Per capita their science funding and output is commensurate with most of the first world, so yeah, I'd expect the third largest economy to be pretty much top of the scales! Incidentally a lot of the work I reviewed for my thesis was from Japan.
(although, China is growing hardcore in that sphere - India too, but they've got even more catching up to do)

Anyway. Tokyo is obscenely expensive - and any part of Kanto even remotely close to the action - and Keihanshin or Nagoya not much better.

What do you like in terms of weather and scenery? Kyushu University is world-class (and has a relatively large foreign student population - a friend of a friend is there) but Fukuoka would be too damn hot for me.

You want my ignorant and unsolicited advice, you'd head up north - Tohoku is where it's at. School-wise there's Tohoku University itself in Sendai, smaller schools in the other prefectures... And the Shinkansen from Tokyo goes all the way to Aomori these days.

Though, you're in Jersey, right? Which is basically a suburb of NYC, except the parts that are suburbs of Philly. Do you like big cities? Or are you indifferent?

I am indifferent, and I also like the cold.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-10-2014, 05:31 PM
(29-10-2014 05:18 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 04:51 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Per capita their science funding and output is commensurate with most of the first world, so yeah, I'd expect the third largest economy to be pretty much top of the scales! Incidentally a lot of the work I reviewed for my thesis was from Japan.

I am indifferent, and I also like the cold.

Then I double down on recommending Tohoku. Life is way cheaper up there, plus you get actual snow.

Tohoku U has a decent international contingent but I have no idea what entrance requirements are like. Or something smaller like Iwate or Hirosaki. Cursory examination of the latter says they also have international student programs.

29-10-2014, 05:41 PM
(29-10-2014 05:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 05:18 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I am indifferent, and I also like the cold.

Then I double down on recommending Tohoku. Life is way cheaper up there, plus you get actual snow.

Tohoku U has a decent international contingent but I have no idea what entrance requirements are like. Or something smaller like Iwate or Hirosaki. Cursory examination of the latter says they also have international student programs.

This spot looks nice

29-10-2014, 05:50 PM
(29-10-2014 05:41 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 05:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Then I double down on recommending Tohoku. Life is way cheaper up there, plus you get actual snow.

This spot looks nice

Aomori Prefecture is the most beautiful in Japan.

Hirosaki University is in Aomori prefecture but not Aomori city; it's in, er, Hirosaki. Which is less than an hour down the road, actually.

29-10-2014, 06:20 PM
(29-10-2014 05:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 05:41 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  This spot looks nice

Aomori Prefecture is the most beautiful in Japan.

Hirosaki University is in Aomori prefecture but not Aomori city; it's in, er, Hirosaki. Which is less than an hour down the road, actually.

Might have just found my spot, thanks cj

[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
01-11-2014, 05:42 PM
I zeke, I get the impression you are going through some stuff. Reaching out to others is a good idea. Don't compromise yourself in order to do it.

I don't think someone as rational and intelligent as yourself can be happy as a theist. I could be wrong, and I don't believe in telling people how to live your life, but I think you are going about it the wrong way. We all want to have a sense of belonging and purpose, but we can't readily choose what we believe.

Good luck man. Feel free to lean on us when you need it.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
(29-10-2014 03:33 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 02:25 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I don't know that I've specifically asked you before; why do you want to go there?

(also: where there?)

Well seeing as it is the second highest scientific place in the world(U.S ranked first, it can by scientist [or in this case could]) with actual scientific interest not including blowing up middle eastern people and it has a lower crime rate. and where I don't know I hope I can go some where nice but not as expensive as tokyo.

I would disagree with the statement "it's safer there" because it's all relative.
ie: I live in the second worst suburb in my city. BUT I live on the boarder of a really good suburb and so while crime rates for my area would be high because of the suburb I live in, the actual location, my street and street address, is rather safe.

Japan is no different to the rest of the world. It has its good places and its bad places. However I would say that police corruption is higher in Japan (not necessarily corruption but more "manipulation of stats") than the States.
Worry less about the security of the overall country and focus on the individual location where you want to live.

Also, I don't know about Japan but here if you don't have citizenship than university and such is much more expensive because it's not subsidized.
You will need to look into that because Japan could be the same. You also might not be able to secure a student loan to pay for it and have to pay for it yourself.

What else you have to consider is the cost of moving over there. Flight tickets, the cost of getting your stuff over there (just sell your shit and buy new stuff over there). You also have to take into account visas. You don't want to go over there and get deported a year later because you were unable to gain residency. You'll also need enough money in the bank to ensure you can buy a return ticket if required. (That'll be a requirement of certain visas).

You should go to South Korea instead. Japan is a dying economy. They've stagnated and they're in for a huge population decrease.

[Image: oscar.png]