Alt right protests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2017, 09:33 PM
RE: Alt right protests
(17-08-2017 09:10 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(17-08-2017 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The thing is that most kept their white supremacist leanings on the down low unless they thought they had met an ally.

I had similar experiences living in Southern California.

Because I've lived around the world, I've lost my Texan accent, for the most part, and can blend in with other English-speakers from wherever. Most who knew me in SoCal had no idea I was a native Texan until I mentioned the fact.

Before they knew I was a Texan, they were the model of decorum. Once they'd learnt I was Texan, some of them were noticeably freer throwing around racial slurs, to the point where in a couple of instances I had to ask people to leave language like that outside my gate.

It told me two things: 1) they assumed that Texans would not have a problem with racial slurs, and 2) that they were hiding a little something until they thought they had a favorable audience.

'Twas truly a learning experience, seeing that shit ooze up from the mud in their minds.

Growing up primarily in Iowa and a couple years in Wisconsin meant that mom's accent didn't take. Some words and phrases did.

When we were in small town SC my older daughter came home with a friend from St. Louis. This friend had never seen the ocean so they decided to head our way and then head on to Myrtle Beach.

One evening they were going to run to the local country store that had been around for probably a century at that point. It was around the time that many people would be hitting the store after work...so, therefore, more men than at other times of the day.

Daughter's friend was very tall, so he was not someone you wouldn't notice. And very openly gay. He wore a ball cap that said "DIVA" on it and his toenails were painted. Since the destination was the beach, he was wearing sandals of some sort so the nail polish was in full view. I didn't care but cringed because I worried for his safety.

So I said I thought perhaps tennis shoes would be a better choice and perhaps the hat should remain at our house. He gave me a really puzzled look...then I asked him, "Didn't Jenny tell you where you were going when you came here?" He was still puzzled...so I said...look, Dude, I like you a lot and you are most welcome here but the people in this town aren't going to be amused...on top of being gay, you are also Jewish...the only thing that would make you more unpopular in this town would be if you were also black.

They did finally make it to the beach but cut the trip short and he got back to home as quickly as he could while still being able to say he had seen the ocean.

I hated having to tell him that we lived somewhere where he, and others like him, were not only unwelcome but were also unsafe.

Yeah, I am still technically in the south being in TX but am in a county that has a very diverse population. I do not feel the racial hatred here that I did there. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Yeah, Texas is a lot more diverse than most realize.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
18-08-2017, 05:13 AM
This was an interesting read: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/opini...pe=article

The article outlines some successful nonviolent responses to white supremacist demonstrations. The alt righties are coming to Boston this weekend, and I hope they're met with tactics like these.
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
18-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Yesterday was the first day that the subject of politics was brought up at work were I joined in a bit. The two partners in the firm were out and that left three of us in the office.

As it turns out, the other two women in the office think that all the statues and other symbols should be left where they are...they won't even entertain the idea that perhaps a museum would be a better place for them.

Then it was stated that as long as the economy is good, they don't really care what Trump says or does. Shocking

I did point out that he didn't 'fix' the economy in seven months...that things were on an upward swing when he took office.

Comments followed about illegal immigrants and how fruit and vegetables won't get picked or landscaping done if we send all the Hispanics back to their homes of origin...because...blacks sure aren't going to do that kind of work. Facepalm This comment from the woman I think of as Sister Christian.

OMG...I will just keep listening to music and podcasts and quietly look for another position. No more political conversations from me at the office. Weeping

edit - I will add that there have been several negative comments about trans people and some snarky remarks about gays and lesbians.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
18-08-2017, 07:33 AM
(18-08-2017 05:13 AM)julep Wrote:  This was an interesting read: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/opini...pe=article

The article outlines some successful nonviolent responses to white supremacist demonstrations. The alt righties are coming to Boston this weekend, and I hope they're met with tactics like these.

This will be a stereotype, but I imagine a Boston-area antifa will be like "punch a nazi in the face" on steroids.

Fantastic article, thanks for posting. Pulled from it:

Quote:“I would want to punch a Nazi in the nose, too,” Maria Stephan, a program director at the United States Institute of Peace, told me. “But there’s a difference between a therapeutic and strategic response.”

The problem, she said, is that violence is simply bad strategy.

Violence directed at white nationalists only fuels their narrative of victimhood — of a hounded, soon-to-be-minority who can’t exercise their rights to free speech without getting pummeled. It also probably helps them recruit.
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
18-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I like the idea of humorous counter-protest ... that's emotional judo right there.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
18-08-2017, 09:32 AM
(18-08-2017 05:13 AM)julep Wrote:  This was an interesting read: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/opini...pe=article

(18-08-2017 09:09 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I like the idea of humorous counter-protest ... that's emotional judo right there.

I don't see why dumbass positions like White Supremacy and Separatism should be treated any differently from other absurd views rooted in misinformation and narrow-mindedness. Mock the SHIT out of these tiki-towing, shit-talking, girl-seeking losers. Don't validate and martyr them with 'Nazi-punching' campaigns. Show them how absurd they look to everyone else, and maybe they'll go home in embarrassment.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like TSG's post
18-08-2017, 09:59 AM
The right way to counter-protest:

These people make me proud to be a North Carolinian:

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/saturday-ch...on-currin/

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 6 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
18-08-2017, 10:15 AM
(18-08-2017 09:59 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  The right way to counter-protest:

These people make me proud to be a North Carolinian:

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/saturday-ch...on-currin/

In French they say, Le ridicule tue (Ridicule kills, but could also be interpreted as Ridicule silences)

Hmmm Consider... That`s actually a great way to dilute the message.

So for the next Nazi rally, Laughat
the counter-protesters could come dressed as ...

Klingons, with signs saying something appropriately hilarious about planetary rights,
or
Ghenghis Khan`s troops, complete with small-ish poneys
or
Napoleonic soldiers, signing the Marseillaise,
or
Star Wars stormtroopers, on stike for better health benefits from the Empire
or ...

Careful, this could get seriously funny Laugh out load

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post
18-08-2017, 10:22 AM
[Image: 1ubhnr.jpg]

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]